Home

**NFL Head Coach 09 Developer Q&A Thread**

This is a discussion on **NFL Head Coach 09 Developer Q&A Thread** within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #65
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18
Re: Lead Designer Q&A Session

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1Blumpkin1x
Thanks for all of the info, and such quick responses too. It is like a whole new EA where the community matters and not the "we know what's best" attitude. I'm loving it.

Just a few questions:

1) Are the draft classes static? With 21,000 potential draftees it doesn't sound as such. I just want to make sure that season 2 of a newly started franchise won't have the same draft class as the first franchise I played.

2) You mentioned teams maybe not being interested in you if you are fired. Does that mean you could potentially sit out a season?

3) Will there be solid documentation about the game and some of the mechanics? I only thought of this since I am currently (well should be but I'm typing this instead) writing documentation for software I wrote (very small company, we have to do everything). You mentioned something above about the best coach showing up first in the clipboard, how would I know that if I hadn't read your post? Is the in-game help that informative?
1. No. We have multiple sets of 15 consecutive classes. So if you start a career and then quit, the next career you start will have a new set of draft classes.

2. No, that means your career is over. We want this game to be more of a challenge than career modes have been in the past.

3. We added a lot of in-game help and tutorials that will help you. It always seems like it's never enough but I think we added more than I've seen before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #66
stewaat

OVR:

Wow thanks for all the info. I might get this game over Madden!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #67
Pro

Blazelore's Arena

OVR: 6

What feature would you love to put in next years game that didn't make it this year? I ask because it seems like you cover everybase of simulation and the NFL's off season.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #68
NFL Head Coach '09 Lead Designer

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan27
Thanks for clarifying as that makes sense. Still disappointed that it is only 15 years.
I understand. Sorry...
Old 06-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #69
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
2. No, that means your career is over. We want this game to be more of a challenge than career modes have been in the past.
Wow, I really like that. I'm glad to see that someone could be the Rich Kotite of HC '09, and as a Jets fan my blood still boils when I hear his name. Not enough games have this much of a challenge in a career mode, you could always find a home if you were fired. This does add more of a sense of urgency to your season if things are going poorly.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #70
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Gameplay Lead Programmer Q&A Session

You mention coach skills, so I'm guessing they contribute to what happens on the field. How do coach skills affect a play's chances of success? What kinds of skills can you improve? I have seen the tree screen flash by in some videos but nothing in detail. Can all coaches get skills (coordinators and position coaches)?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #71
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

OVR: 16

Thanks for all the info and your time Josh...the game is sounding fantastic. Having 'worked' for Sports Interactive over here in the UK as a home based tester for their highly successful Football Manager series (I also tested Eastside Hockey Manager - NHL) I can appreciate all of the time and effort that goes into getting the depth and accuracy in the game... I say 'worked', it was a labour of love for a free copy of the game, but the best of all was having the chance to have your input heard by the designers and seeing it acted upon. That's why I think EA's presence on the OS boards recently is a major step forward - as can be seen from the interaction not only here but on the Madden board.

Great to know that you'll be staying on here when the game is out as well - you never know it may need a patch ;-)

Few more for you Josh -

1. When does the game actually go gold? You must be in the codelock position fairly soon.

2. Approval Rating - presumably each franchise/owner will have a minimum rating by which they can fire you? For example a lenient owner make let you rating dissolve down to say 10 before firing you, whereas an Al Davis type may fire you at so 40 or so?

3. Are you given any warning of imminent firing? eg. Will the owner call you for a hypothetical meeting and say if things don't improve you're out?

4. Looking at the presentation video you need skill points to upgrade coaches' skill - how do you earn these skill points? Is it tied into your overall approval rating?

5. Gameplans at the start of a game where you can pick 3. Again from the video it say 6 remaining against each for Tony Dungy. Two questions from this - is the number dependant upon your coach's skills and is the number remaining how many you have over a season?...if so does this reset if you make the playoffs? Be awful to get to the playoffs and have none remaining...hope that makes sense Josh.

If I think of any other questions I'll let you know
Cheers
Mark

Last edited by Ninjoid; 06-04-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #72
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Gameplay Lead Programmer Q&A Session

Hi Chris,
Great to have you guys over here on the boards. Just a few questions at the moment:

1. Camera Angles in game - I've seen there are a couple (Cinematic/Tv Broadcast), are there any others?

2. I'm guessing that the cpu will stick to the playbook and tendency of a team, however during a game is it constantly monitoring for weaknesses in my playcalling? If so presumably it will adjust in accordance with it's tendency? (Think that's clear! lol)

3. Coaches - do they suggest plays in real time during a game?

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by Ninjoid; 06-04-2008 at 03:43 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »