Home

Bill Abner's first Head Coach Impressions

This is a discussion on Bill Abner's first Head Coach Impressions within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #33
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Bill Abner's first Head Coach Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
Quick question. Can you only coach for 15 years? I noticed on the free download of the strategy guide it mentioned that. Although I guess that should be long enough, I was hoping for something kind of longer. However, the impressions are sounding great!
15 years is the limit yes..but given the depth of this game how long will it take to get there?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #34
MVP

SlyBelle's Arena

OVR: 10

Yeah, 15 is probably long enough, just kind of like having infinite time like most of the text-based sims. Is there a Hall of Fame within the game? If so, I would be concerned 15 years might not really enough to really make use of it. Kind of curious why any limit has to be applied, except for the obvious of storage space.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #35
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

After all the NCAA stuff and Bill's Madden impressions, it makes me soooo happy to hear he's having a blast with HC so far.

All I have EVER wanted since the days of FPS Football, is for someone to re-create that special sports sim like Sierra did back in the days.

MLB The Show has filled my High Heat void and I have my fingers crossed that Head Coach can fill my FPS football void.

Keep 'em coming Bill!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #36
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjoid
Bill has posted his second blog on HC - and it's extremely encouraging..still early days but it's looking like this game is all we have hoped for - realism and depth!

Cheers Bill...keep going with the impressions etc..we can't get enough.
Really was a great time. On the last play of the game when I got the sack I even let out a "yeah!" as Pennington went down. I heard my wife sigh and shake her head, which I consider a good sign.

I won't be able to play again until tomorrow or maybe late tonight. But I am itching to get back into it. After Brady Quinn went 6/7 in the first preseason game Browns fans are abuzz! Sad thing -- if Quinn has a great preseason I'll bet anything there will be Browns fans dying to see him start over DA.

Still a lot to look over. I hope the teams draft for both need and talent. Madden is notoriously bad at this, drafting a QB in the first round when the team already has a Carson Palmer or a Tom Brady. I'm hoping HC's good vibe keeps up. After all, it was just one game.

But it was as damn fun one game.

Seriously, I have no desire at all right now to pop Madden back in. Right now I'm totally hooked.

Editor in Chief Gameshark.Com
http://www.gameshark.com
Old 08-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #37
Pro

kiddlex's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
After all the NCAA stuff and Bill's Madden impressions, it makes me soooo happy to hear he's having a blast with HC so far.

All I have EVER wanted since the days of FPS Football, is for someone to re-create that special sports sim like Sierra did back in the days.

MLB The Show has filled my High Heat void and I have my fingers crossed that Head Coach can fill my FPS football void.

Keep 'em coming Bill!!!
Ah yes HH baseball the best ever!! If only the show had more extra base hits and less singles. Its so close!!! I used to love FPS football too. From a fellow Missourian you have good taste except for that whole St. Louis thing. Too bad Im still stuck in 85.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 2

This is really great stuff Bill, thanks for all the insight, keep it up.
I think it is rather interesting that you are so enamored with Head Coach that you have no urge to play Madden.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #39
MVP

Ninjoid's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
Still a lot to look over. I hope the teams draft for both need and talent. Madden is notoriously bad at this, drafting a QB in the first round when the team already has a Carson Palmer or a Tom Brady.
Bill - from what we've seen and from what Josh and the guys have been saying this won't be a worry (hopefully)...I think this is one of the areas they really hammered out to make it more realistic..drafting according to the team model..be interesting to hear your thoughts on it..not sure when you'll get there though given you're in pre-season..guess you could re-start at the draft.

Good stuff Bill.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #40
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
I am going to be doing a write up today about my first foray into career mode. I still have a few questions about some things but so far this game is a helluva lot of fun.

There's a lot of stuff to look at like draft AI, free agent signings, and other stuff but the games are a blast.

Games take about an hour with 15 minute quarters, btw.

But how's this for cool: In my preseason game vs New York I was called for 9 penalties for 75 yards.

Cribbs ran back a TD on a kickoff -- untouched.

Oh, and FYI: there are full game sliders for both Human and CPU. I dunno if they are needed yet, though. My first game was pretty darn realistic.

It's the little things that the game is doing that we usually don't see in a graphics-based game that is making me smile. It's frustrates me that Madden doesn't do a lot of the same stuff, but calling the games from the press box is giving me that Front Page Sports Football vibe in a HUGE way right now.
This is the best think I could have read. Realism is so important in a game like this. Here's hoping it continues...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »