Home

***Official Impressions Thread***

This is a discussion on ***Official Impressions Thread*** within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43
***Official Impressions Thread***

Once a mod/admin confirms that you have the game, please keep all impressions in this thread.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58
Re: ***Official Impressions Thread***

casvdry has confirmed that he has the game.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

After taking a couple days to play a few games an explore a lot of the in-game options I just wanted say that this game has already taken over my life (I'm a 26-year-old male living in Los Angeles and I'll be locked in my room all evening on a warm Saturday night!).

I've only played three games but I've really enjoyed myself. Most of us have read Bill Abners impressions and watched the two gameplay videos that the devs posted, so there isn't really anything new I can say about the gameplay; it's solid in my opinion (it doesn't look like I'll need to adjust any sliders).

I've spent the two days that I've had with the game exploring the 'career mode' and working on my offensive & defensive playbooks. I started a 'new career' just to see what everything looked like and like others have said, there is *almost* an overwhelming amount of info and things to do; which is great in my opinion (I don't plan on simming anything, I'm going to tackle every task myself).

My only gripe with the game (so far ) is the create-a-play system because you can't select your created plays based on formation; all of your created-plays are filed under the 'created plays' menu. So if you create a lot of plays you'll have to scroll down one long list of plays to find what you're looking for. I knew this would be the case long before I bought the game, but it's something I hope can be addressed for the next version of the game. I also wish there was a much larger selection of plays available to practice your created plays against. FYI, after you've created the play and saved it, you can only edit the play from the create-a-play menu in 'career mode'(it would be nice if we could edit plays at the main-menu outside of 'career mode').

Depending on what you're trying to do, you may have to find a few work-a-rounds to get a play to look or work like you want it to. Example, when creating a defensive play you can't edit a players stance, so if you want 'X' number of players standing you'll have to edit from an existing formation with the number of standing players that you're looking for. Overall, I think the create-a-play interface gets the job done.

I love that we can set progressions for the QB (and more importantly the QB actually follows the progression that you set, usually ). I've created/edited plays with motion, option runs, playaction, rollouts, it's all there. It was also cool to go online and see the plays that other people have created and uploaded to the server (the cpu controlled teams even downloaded a few of the plays for themselves!)

I'll probably be sorting through and testing plays until the roster update...But so far, I'm very satisfied with the game.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Thanks for the impressions. Its good to see another positive opinion of the game. That is wild how the CPU ripps off user created plays online - frickin' brilliant! Do you think your average younger Madden fan will like the game or do you think it's going too be too deep/hardcore for them?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Good post DLaren, I dont blame you one bit for stayin on on Saturday, for a game we have been waiting for for months.

Is it just me or does the CPU uploading plays to the server ON ITS OWN a little scary?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
Do you think your average younger Madden fan will like the game or do you think it's going too be too deep/hardcore for them?
I know there are a lot of younger gamers who enjoy deep, time consuming strategy games on the PC (i.e. Civilization, Spore, ect.). When I was a teenager I played a lot strategy games like Command&Conquer and Roller Coaster Tycoon, but the average football gamer may be turned off by the numerous off-the-field events and micro-management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesimulator
Is it just me or does the CPU uploading plays to the server ON ITS OWN a little scary?
I don't think the CPU teams 'upload' plays, but I know they 'download' plays created by us. And yes, it is scary to think that I may have to go up against plays that I spent time crafting for myself

Edit: Just wanted to add that when you go online to view the plays that other people have uploaded you can sort by overall success, my plays, created by, most downloaded, highest rated, newest plays, and offense/defense. I think it's set up very well.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 08-09-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
Thanks for the impressions. Its good to see another positive opinion of the game. That is wild how the CPU ripps off user created plays online - frickin' brilliant! Do you think your average younger Madden fan will like the game or do you think it's going too be too deep/hardcore for them?
In general, no. You'll have those MMORPG type freaks (Nerds) who will like the game if they're diehard football fans. I think that overall this is going to be a game targeted for the 20+ crowd.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaren
I know there are a lot of younger gamers who enjoy deep, time consuming strategy games on the PC (i.e. Civilization, Spore, ect.). When I was a teenager I played a lot strategy games like Command&Conquer and Roller Coaster Tycoon, but the average football gamer may be turned off by the numerous off-the-field events and micro-management.
Thanks DLaren on the impressions. Can you sim past most or all of the micro management as an option?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »