Home

Default Sliders

This is a discussion on Default Sliders within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Default Sliders

here are baseline sliders.. that, imnho, everyone should do..

baseline, as in start with these no matter what and tweak the rest based on what you see playing out on the field

Offense:
QB = 0
WR = 0

Defense:
AWR = 100 (this is a must)
Knockdowns = 100
Break Blocks = 40

ST:
FG Power = 85
FG Accuracy = 40

then tweak the rest based off what you see on the field.. but those are baseline sliders imnho
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

You know Pimping, with a game like this with SO many different variables such as learned play/coaching boosts, player stats, coaching skills/perks, weather effects, playcalling strategy, etc. etc... there is really no way to tell if something is "broken" or needs "tweaking". This is why I kept my sliders at default, because I feel that the game works as intended since you cannot directly control what happens on the field. I've heard people say that they can't run the ball. But as you can see in my franchise thread, I can run the ball very well. The cpu can too. Yes, some games I am shut down, but others I close to 100 yards or more. I think this is due to many variables such as the strength of your O-line (physical and mental), the strength of your RB (physical and mental),the strength of the defenses' play call, the strength of your play call, if the play called is unlearned/learned/mastered, the coaching boosts/advantages on each play, and the randomness of football in general. And that's just the running game. Haha.

As far as me lowering the QB acc and WR catch to 0... I just saw way to many games where QB's had 80%-90 something% completion games. It was kind of rediculous. As far as the qb throw strength is concerned...I don't see it affecting that. The cpu still attempts deep throws and so does my qb. But its realistic because no QB in real life attempts deep bombs every play (unless you're Tom Brady and you have Randy Moss.) Now with QB accuracy at 0 and catching at 0, all I am seeing differently is more wild throws/incompletions which, in turn, lower the QB throwing percentage and keeps games fair. But you also have games where the cpu torches you as you can see in my thread.

Every other aspect of the game seems good to me though at default. EXCEPT for the field goal kickers. In my last game, Jay Feely went 1 for 4 with field goal attempts. 2 of those misses were close range too. The cpu ALSO missed a crucial close game winning field goal. And this is with FG accuracy and power at 100!

As far as defensive awareness at 100... I did try that when I was testing the game out at first, but I did not see much improvement in DB play. Keep in mind...this game is called Head Coach, not Madden. I think if you want your DB's to perform better, you need to have a good DB coach with skills that boost their performance. Plus you can give yourself skills to heighten their performence/awareness. This goes for EVERY position. You don't need a slider. This is why I think the devs made the sliders have little to no effect on the game. I am also tempted to move the QB and WR sliders back to default...but I am seeing very realistic results with what I have now...and what more could you ask for?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 25

also keep this in mind..

NOT EVERY GAME SHOULD PLAY OUT THE SAME WAY

not everything should be blowouts or close scores.. those arent realistic at all

i feel some people aren't playing things out and just taking it one game and restarting re-doing the same game..

you gotta get a feel for how the game plays out.. i used to have constant TFL's... that's because i have my Break Block setting at 100 and now i realize what that does (simple terms: anti-running)

so yea.. maybe later i'll post my sliders or something.. but like I said, it's tweaked for what I see on the field
Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcool202020
You know Pimping, with a game like this with SO many different variables such as learned play/coaching boosts, player stats, coaching skills/perks, weather effects, playcalling strategy, etc. etc... there is really no way to tell if something is "broken" or needs "tweaking". This is why I kept my sliders at default, because I feel that the game works as intended since you cannot directly control what happens on the field. I've heard people say that they can't run the ball. But as you can see in my franchise thread, I can run the ball very well. The cpu can too. Yes, some games I am shut down, but others I close to 100 yards or more. I think this is due to many variables such as the strength of your O-line (physical and mental), the strength of your RB (physical and mental),the strength of the defenses' play call, the strength of your play call, if the play called is unlearned/learned/mastered, the coaching boosts/advantages on each play, and the randomness of football in general. And that's just the running game. Haha.

As far as me lowering the QB acc and WR catch to 0... I just saw way to many games where QB's had 80%-90 something% completion games. It was kind of rediculous. As far as the qb throw strength is concerned...I don't see it affecting that. The cpu still attempts deep throws and so does my qb. But its realistic because no QB in real life attempts deep bombs every play (unless you're Tom Brady and you have Randy Moss.) Now with QB accuracy at 0 and catching at 0, all I am seeing differently is more wild throws/incompletions which, in turn, lower the QB throwing percentage and keeps games fair. But you also have games where the cpu torches you as you can see in my thread.

Every other aspect of the game seems good to me though at default. EXCEPT for the field goal kickers. In my last game, Jay Feely went 1 for 4 with field goal attempts. 2 of those misses were close range too. The cpu ALSO missed a crucial close game winning field goal. And this is with FG accuracy and power at 100!

As far as defensive awareness at 100... I did try that when I was testing the game out at first, but I did not see much improvement in DB play. Keep in mind...this game is called Head Coach, not Madden. I think if you want your DB's to perform better, you need to have a good DB coach with skills that boost their performance. Plus you can give yourself skills to heighten their performence/awareness. This goes for EVERY position. You don't need a slider. This is why I think the devs made the sliders have little to no effect on the game. I am also tempted to move the QB and WR sliders back to default...but I am seeing very realistic results with what I have now...and what more could you ask for?
This is a great post. I agree with all of it. There are ways to gameplan and work your team into running better, defending the pass, etc.

My last two games: vs. Bears and @ Vikings (as the Lions). Ran for about 10 yards against the Bears, as Urlacher dominated. Ran for over 100 against the Vikings, and had open holes on almost every play.

Awesome.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 12

Pimping:

"Coach Now" give you the best even playing field regarding coaches, game plan, and knowledge of plays. If your sliders work on "Par" with the team you have during "coach now" then that is the sliders for you.

The reason why I say this is because in "Career Mode" players have to learn the game plan, coaches have to get skill points, but in "Coach Now" everyone knows the game plan and coaches have their skill. So, this makes for the best testing ground. From here you will know when playing in "career mode" that you can perform like in "coach now" if you get your players and coaches to that level.

It's hard to test in career now because the playing field is not the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #22

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Well assuming QB Accuracy has no effect on a QB attempting deep passes more frequently then Im sticking with the QB Accuracy and WR Catch at 0 with everything else at default. I cant fix everything and maybe Gore just isnt a good fit for my team but my last game against Arizona actually played out pretty well in the second half once I started calling more plays myself instead of letting the coordinators call all of the plays for me like I had been doing. I will continue to play with these settings but I would still like to hear feedback from others using default sliders, or atleast damn near default sliders.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

I haven't adjusted any sliders at all, but one thing I have noticed is that I call running plays pretty consistently throughout a game and by the time the 4th qtr rolls around I am able to get bigger gains. I guess from wearing down their line. All the 2 and 3 yard gains early on pay off in the end for me.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #24

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbothesh23
I haven't adjusted any sliders at all, but one thing I have noticed is that I call running plays pretty consistently throughout a game and by the time the 4th qtr rolls around I am able to get bigger gains. I guess from wearing down their line. All the 2 and 3 yard gains early on pay off in the end for me.
I noticed that as well in my last game when I was calling more running plays instead of letting Martz call nothing but passing plays. The unfortunate part is by the time that happened Gore was injured so Foster was the beneficiary of it, not the guy who was getting nailed all game long leading up to that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »