Home

A guide to being a GM (contracts, FA, draft, etc.)

This is a discussion on A guide to being a GM (contracts, FA, draft, etc.) within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: A guide to being a GM (contracts, FA, draft, etc.)

I wanna bump this great thread. Very useful, it will help a lot of people
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 20

very good writeup. Only thing I really disagree with is his draft based on need philosophy. Other than in rare and pretty extreme cases the only position I will allow need to effect my drafting of is QB. This was especially true when trying to scout like he does as scouting like that you will know enough to fill in your needs anywhere.

Outside of the QB position I really think it is tough to find too much talent. For instance, I may already have an elite LT but if there is an elite lineman available and he is the best player compared to others available in his position then I will give him a serious look because I can find a spot for him. Even if I have 2 great DEs, that won't stop me from picking another great pass rusher. I will find ways to get him involved. So what if I have a great TE and a solid backup, if I see a TE who I think can become a great weapon I will go after him. I will find ways to get him involved.

There are so many ways to get non qb players involved in the game that I am not going to let lack of need steer me away from a special prospect.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 6

Kcarr both of you are right do do draft need or best player avaialble?? Neither is righ tor wrong, I do alittle of both.

If I have to players close one a need one not I go need unless that position is deep and I have others targeted later and the other is one of the only players I like at that position.
I really try to do my homework each draft and plan out were I get what I want or need.

It obviously changes when some players drop more than I expect or someone else has a player I want is high on there pick the pick board of anotehr team and a need. Or another team makes a trade offer I just think is too good to not drop down.
I like to amass picks but too many is also a problem after your team is solid.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #44
MVP

I have traded up a couple times to get players that I really did not at all need, one of whom I knew I was going to get yelled at because he was a bust, but those have been a couple of my best draft picks ever. One was a TE with 95 speed and around 90 potential, great recieving ratings in the late 1st round. I traded up a couple spots to take him despite having dallas clark as my starter and carl stewart as a blocking #2. The rookie ended up being a huge playmaker and really helped my team in a lot of ways offensively playing TE, slot WR, and FB. The other real good example was an OLB with only 84 potential but over 90 speed and finesse moves maxing at 97 with good ratings everywhere else other than coverage. Despite him being a "bust" and me already having a couple good pass rushing olbs I traded back into the 1st to pick him up. He had 18 sacks as a rookie and 21 the next year.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #45
Pro

edward_1385's Arena

OVR: 12

Usally on the average I try to stay away from free agents unless I have alot of cap room then I may sign one or two... But, in the first 2-3 years of the drafts I soley draft the first three rounds based on need, now if there is a stud that fell into the second or third they I may try to trade my lower picks to move up and get them... After the first 2-3 years drafts, then I start to look more at best available or what needs I have left...

Btw, I have drafted based on best available and if not careful u can get really stacked a certain positions very quickly than at others... I have wound up with 5 great DTs and 7 great DEs in no time at all...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward_1385
Usally on the average I try to stay away from free agents unless I have alot of cap room then I may sign one or two... But, in the first 2-3 years of the drafts I soley draft the first three rounds based on need, now if there is a stud that fell into the second or third they I may try to trade my lower picks to move up and get them... After the first 2-3 years drafts, then I start to look more at best available or what needs I have left...

Btw, I have drafted based on best available and if not careful u can get really stacked a certain positions very quickly than at others... I have wound up with 5 great DTs and 7 great DEs in no time at all...
Yeah, haha you got to be careful. Some positions (DT, DE, OG, HB, QB, WR) have a ton of talent and there's usually 1 or 2 great ones in every draft. Other positions like Linebackers and cornerbacks are harder to find elite talent in. For those positions, I tend to pick up great talent whenever I see it, regardless of who I have
Old 02-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #47
MVP

I go after FAs some. I will look at the FA preview or the team roadmap and check out their individual ratings and how much they can improve though. There are often good deals on 80-85 overall players with decent upside. I rarely go after top tier FAs though other than maybe here and there if I really want 1 guy or as a 1 or 2 year deal if I have the space and it fills a need instantly or gives me a great weapon to play with.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonolith
Yeah, haha you got to be careful. Some positions (DT, DE, OG, HB, QB, WR) have a ton of talent and there's usually 1 or 2 great ones in every draft. Other positions like Linebackers and cornerbacks are harder to find elite talent in. For those positions, I tend to pick up great talent whenever I see it, regardless of who I have
What types of corners are you looking for that you can't find great talent. There are almost always great man coverage guys, usually 90+ potential, that can be had pretty easily

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »