Home

Why would a QB run the ball himself on 4th and 15

This is a discussion on Why would a QB run the ball himself on 4th and 15 within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2008, 05:21 AM   #17
Rookie

CurlyJefferson's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Why would a QB run the ball himself on 4th and 15

As someone whose primary QB right now is Troy Smith, I have felt the frustration of bonehead 4th down decisions as well as constant scrambling for like 5 yards when there's less than a minute left and I'm out of timeouts. I want to scream at him "Just stand still and throw it! This is not the time for running!" But he has also kept my drives alive on many, many occasions. His questionable decisions are something I just deal with. He more than makes up for them with big plays.

And I have never once seen a QB take off running and then throw. That's something I would like to see for the next installment. And I think QBs should have a separate attribute for how well they throw on the run. That's a real skill that affects how teams use their quarterbacks, whether they send them on bootlegs, etc.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #18
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva
Yea I'll have to agree with you there. That happens in Washington alot too. My redskins need 10-15 yards on 3rd down and the coaches call bonehead plays or Campbell throws for 7 yards instead of trying to throw it past the 1st down marker or so.

Frustrates the hell out of us Redskin fans.

AMEN
Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix-Monkey
He takes off and tries to run with it if no one is open and the pocket is collapsing. I've seem him do it from time to time in my Redskins career. Rarely does he get the first down though, but at least he tries =].
Heh, playing a game right after I posted this, he broke free on 3rd down and ran 30 yards up field for the 1st.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Heh, playing a game right after I posted this, he broke free on 3rd down and ran 30 yards up field for the 1st.
Wow nice.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanalogkid
In the limited time I used Josh Johnson, he would scramble about 1 out of every 5 or so plays, usually coming up with the 1st down or at least getting some positive yards. He threw ugly passes, but for the most part would complete them.

I'm using Andre Woodson now in my Chiefs rebuilding career, he hasn't rushed once in 2 games that I've played so far. He's got 5 tds and 1 int so far, and I've played him 1 half of 1 preseason game, and 3/4s of another.

Im in season two with the dolphins and Andre Woodson....He has NEVER scrambled.... he is very slow and i do not want my QB to run but there have been times in a goaline situation or even a 3rd/4th and short where the pocket has cleared the way of all defenders.....i read somewhere that Peyton Manning has the most touchdowns per rush attempt in the NFL in the last 5 or 6 seasons.... even the great one tucks it in once in a while for a short yard scamper....the moments are few and far in between but there have been times where holding the football out in front of him would've netted a TD or atleast a critical first down....

Woodson will NEVER run
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Lol, i just played a game and he broke down the right side for a 63 yd score. Like that would happen.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 9

Everyone was covered!!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
neither of these groups will ever try to scramble to buy more time to make the throw where in reality more often than not when a qb runs from the pocket it seems to be laterally still looking downfield to pass
I've seen what I suppose would be the equivalent of this in the game, in which (using the Jets, so B. Favre) would shift in the pocket to avoid say, an overloaded rush to one side, and trigger an animation where he slides a few feet out of the pocket and throws while moving.

This kind of gives the impression of avoiding pressure and throwing, but it certainly isn't the traditional tuck/run/untuck/pass you see a lot in the NFL.

For the record I've never had Favre scramble for positive yards (or even intend to), but have seen him move about quite a bit in the pocket and behind the LOS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »