Home

Starting a 3-3-5 D with Chicago

This is a discussion on Starting a 3-3-5 D with Chicago within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 42
Starting a 3-3-5 D with Chicago

Starting a 3-3-5 with the Bears and am vexing over the personnel I need to implement it.

Thinking of moving Harris to RE and drafting a wide body at DT/nose but my big problem is the "rover" position.

The game put's your strong safeties at this position but I need a better crop of athlete to fill the spot. Today's news about Roy Williams got me thinking he might be a good fit at this hybrid position but I could be way wrong.

When scouting should I be looking for a "prototype"? Or any other suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Starting a 3-3-5 D with Chicago

I've ran a bit of a 3-3-5 with created plays. SS is a position where you really need a "Do it all" type of guy. It depends on how much you blitz in terms of if you want more of a coverage guy or a hitter.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

I would think Troy Polamalu type. Maybe Roy Williams if he could cover better.

BTW, Good luck with this. I played one game with it as a test when I started my new franshise. C. Benson ran for 150 yards in the 1st half on me....... While it could be said all the plays were unlearned and I did have a fair amount of rookies, I had never been run on like that before and gave up on it after that.

Last edited by Terribletowels; 03-05-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: BTW part....
Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terribletowels
I would think Troy Polamalu type. Maybe Roy Williams if he could cover better.

BTW, Good luck with this. I played one game with it as a test when I started my new franshise. C. Benson ran for 150 yards in the 1st half on me....... While it could be said all the plays were unlearned and I did have a fair amount of rookies, I had never been run on like that before and gave up on it after that.
Yeah, I run a 3-3-5 as a Nickel substitute on passing downs, and it works for me. But I created all of my plays in the formation, it's a bit different from the default version.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
MVP

Figure I'm going to need a heavy dose of run blitz to cover the run gaps so that does make Man coverage a must in the corners.

The first bump I'm having is adapting "rover" position to weak side or strong side. The better cover "rover" could shadow the TE side in strong side sets but the AI hasn't done that in the Coach Now games I tested it on. So I seem forced to balance both skill sets as cover/blitz on both sides.

Other than Troy and Roy any other hybrid gems I'm missing? Brian Dawkins? A fast OLB?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Maybe a good cover MLB...... Dawkins might not be a bad pick, or an Ed Reed clone.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 12

Have you tired to use another LB and use Urlacher in the "elephant" role? He is a hell of an athlete in the game. What do you need your player to do?

Last edited by Obelysk; 03-06-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
MVP

That's really not a bad idea if I can replace him in the middle.

Good, in game, blitzing and man/zone coverage skills. At 88 speed, not the fastest guy out there but he can hold his own.

If I go that path, I'll need a new MLB. He can be a bit slower more run stop oriented.

I'm really scouting free agency/draft hard to get the best make up with what little cap space I've got. I still haven't decided what to with Briggs. Huge loss if he goes, but if he stays...can't fill as many holes in the new scheme.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »