Home

Signing Bonus

This is a discussion on Signing Bonus within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Signing Bonus

Hi there can someone help me understand why you would want to hand any type of signing bonus out to your players as it doesnt seem to help the teams cap thatyear like it did in PC Madden version and just benifits the player?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Signing Bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcop
Hi there can someone help me understand why you would want to hand any type of signing bonus out to your players as it doesnt seem to help the teams cap thatyear like it did in PC Madden version and just benifits the player?
Its a way of luring a player to sign its all it is....if a player refuses to sign a 2 yr deal, with "0" signing bonus, and u offer him the same 2 yr contract with a 500k signing bounus.....wouldnt you do it. Its apart of the game. It has to be done one way or another. You just have to know how to handle it...
Old 04-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yeah when you put it like that I understand so any draft pick that will be a starter would be better with a bonus than incentives the way I see it, do you agree?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 42

Depends.

If it's in your nature, you can pretty much alter playing style/playing time to PREVENT any player from making an incentive. There is no wiggle room in giving out the signing bonus.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcop
Yeah when you put it like that I understand so any draft pick that will be a starter would be better with a bonus than incentives the way I see it, do you agree?

I dont like to give incentives at all...PERIOD. Out jobs are busy enough without having to worry about sitting a player cuz of incentives, or whatever. If a player cant sign a deal without incentives, i move on. Unless its a rookie, cuz they always take the 1st deal. But i dont mind giving up bonuses to players that i know deserve it, and that i know that i wont be cutting them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

I sat down and figured the math one day. I was trying to figure out what was better. Lets say you have a guy who wants 20 mil for 5 years. Option A has no incentives and a 5 mil signing bonus and Option B has a 2.5 bonus but 3 incentives at 750 a piece. If the player takes Option A then you add 1 mil per year for the bonus...but if they take Option B, you are adding 500 per year for the bonus but you are also looking at the possibility of 2.25 mil in incentives so you could be actually adding 2.75 per year to his salary. So that contract under Option A that would have cost a total of 25 mil for 5 years now costs 31.25 mil for 5 years.

Now the trade off is will the player make the incentives? A back-up hb getting 1000 yards and 10 tds...more than likely not. But a starting ol who has made the pb the last 3 seasons...starting 16 games and make the pb....good possibility.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »