Home

Learning Grade

This is a discussion on Learning Grade within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Learning Grade

Whats everyone thought on the learning grade? How low are you prepared to go to have a player and does a low rating just affect his play book learning?

Looking at the low end of my roster I have:

5 x players below 22 (all of which I drafed last year i.e A Craig, D Bryant, K Dunlap, D Bell, J Barrett)
5 x players between 23 & 50
6 x players between 51 & 69

The rest of my roster is 70 or above
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Rookie

Chris_Staymates's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Learning Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcop
Whats everyone thought on the learning grade? How low are you prepared to go to have a player and does a low rating just affect his play book learning?
Learning is pretty important, at least we designed it that way. Indirectly, learning affects every on-field attribute for a player. If you run plays that are "Unlearned" your player attributes on that play will be negatively affected. On the flip side, "Mastered" plays will give you a slight advantage.

The idea was that players can only hold onto so much information. We got a lot of feedback from NFL coaches that they limit the range of their playcalling early in the season because players just don't know the playbook yet. The learning rating was our way of simulating that and making a game out of it.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Rookie

So does the learning skill increase? The 5 guys I mentioned are good high potential picks but if their learning skill is shot they are no use to me right?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Learning does increase with time just like the other skills. If the player is on your roster, you can look at their potential max in Learning just like any other skill. On Xbox360, from the roster screen, push in the right stick and it'll give you the breakdown on the player's potential for learning.

I find learning below ~60 ... they are never going to hit their overall potential no matter how talented your coaching staff is and how many reps you give a player.

J. Buckingham (RB) is a prime example. Potential of 90. Starts at about 65 overall. Low learning (~50). I've tried in three different games to get him up to speed. He's never made it past the low 70's overall.

Cliff Notes: Some players are dumb and will never reach their potential.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Rookie

Yeah I was thinking of trying to get a roster full of a min 70 learning. Its a shame through because I had high hopes for A Craig LB, J Barrett FS & D Bryant WR but they only have 5, 6 & 22 in learning. Looks like these guys will be getting cut sooner than I thought
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

I dont have anbody on my team with a learning under 65. No acceptions.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

I guess this is the "teacher" side of me...but learning is one of the top things on my list. I look at the learning grade and durability before I look at anything else. The way I look at it is if a guy is starting below a 60 then unless I have room to keep him on as a developmental player I dont keep him around. I had Buckingham as well...kept him for 3 seasons and he never got above a 71 and would forget everything in the off-season. It is not too difficult to find good players with a learning of at least 75...at least imo

One thing...I am learning to not necessarily trust the "+" and "-". I think they may be "relative" things. By that I mean...compared to the other attributes a thing may be a "-". I have seen Learning as "---" but then the learning grade is 85 or something...but then I see that everything else is higher than that...so I dont always trust those Scouting clues.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Rookie

Well back to the drawing then in my first sweetney draft as i got 9 players under 60 learning in last years draft.
So no one believes it worth hanging on to players with -50 learning?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »