Home

Next HC Game Improvements

This is a discussion on Next HC Game Improvements within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Next HC Game Improvements

If they make one:

1. Practice Squads
I would like to keep some of my gems that just couldn't stay because of roster size difficulties. If I feel a guy could develop into something special, I'd like to keep him around.

2. TE Coach Position
I noticed they got rid of the TE Coach Position in the most recent game. you're losing out on 32 other coaches, not to mention all the FA Coaches. Bring it back. Also, maybe allow us to hire Assistant Position Coaches, like Assistant OL Coach or something, so that if an older coach retires, we can seamlessly replace him with a younger coach waiting in the wings.

3. Not Just Head Coach
I would suggest doing this in a completely different game, but I think it would be a very interesting mode if we could do a Coaching Career where we start out as a Position Coach with a team or something. I'll touch on this more at the end.

4. Lengthen the Career
Jeff Fisher is still coaching after 15 years as a Head Coach, and will most likely coach another 15. I don't want to be a HC in year 12 at the top of my game and a few years later be 'retiring'. 30 Seasons would be more appropriate.

5. More UDFA's
I get that we should limit it, but only 5 is a bit of a stretch. You usually see teams sign about 10. It also gives some options for a Possible Practice Squad.

Sorry, nothing about the actual games, Off-Season is my forte.

And here's my idea:

Path of a Legend

We have several options on how to start our career:

1. Head Coach of High School team

2. Offensive and/or Defensive Coordinator of a D2 College

3. Position Coach of a D1 College

We select a hometown, and if we decide to start as a Head Coach of a Highschool team, then it's simply *City* High School (Example: Lincoln High School). This is where you make the choice: starting as a position coach in D1 will make your name more well-known, but may also limit your success. Any Head Coaching experience, even High School, looks better on your resume then "RB Coach, Iowa, 2011-14".

the goal: Coaching Legend, in all aspects of the game. Only more in-depth, with more options. Once we've proven ourselves in the High School/College ranks, perhaps the NFL Teams will come calling. The ultimate challenge: Position Coach of a High School Team. work your way to NFL Head Coach.

This game engine would have to be massive, but this is the 21st Century, we can do it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: Next HC Game Improvements

I really like your Path of a Legend idea except that I would rather we start as a positional coach in the NFL followed by Offensive/Defensive Coordinator and finally Head Coach. Practice squads are essential and imo should have been in HC, and even Madden, a long time ago.

Although these things would be awesome to have I would prefer that they focus on improving the gameplay; perfecting blocking, pass rushing and most of all individual players decisions pertaining to positioning and overall football IQ all being controlled exclusively by player ratings with vast (not to vast), noticeable differences between players.

For example a QB with 1 Throw Power should literally struggle to get the ball a couple yards downfield and a 99 should be able to throw it however far the longest football throw ever is, with a 40-60 being the average Joe Shmoe you grab off the street. I also want to see a RB with say a 10 in BCV literally just run exactly where the hole was drawn up to be, no matter what that area of the field looks like, and a 85+ should run patiently to holes, find their own holes, and play split second mind games with low awareness defenders.

Most importantly I want ratings stretched out even more so than Madden 10. A 95+ BCV if used like above should be given only to someone like Barry Sanders, not the top 10 HBs in the current NFL. If I had my way there would be only a handful of 90+ overall players in the entire league (guys like Peyton Manning, Patrick Willis, possibly Adrian Peterson). I want to see the average rating of all NFL starters at each position to be around 78-81.

Potential is a very tough thing to nail down with a number rating but I can't come up with anything better, so I guess I can't complain. If a players Potential rating is meant to show that players highest possible overall rating in the prime of his career then I don't think we, as coaches, should be able to see it. It should be used behind the scenes. I also believe that, assuming a 99 overall means that this player possesses as close to perfect a skill set for his position as humanly possible, a potential of 98-99 should ONLY be given to players who possess skills that only come a couple times EVER. I honestly cant think of any particular NFL players who I could give this honor to without any bias, but think of guys like Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux of the NHL. I would be willing to give Gretzky a 99 and Lemieux a 98 overall. So a player with that much potential has a chance to get to that level. Again the only player that comes to mind is from the NHL, Sidney Crosby, and at this point Crosby doesn't look like he will ever get to the level of Gretzky or Lemieux even though he appeared to have that kind of potential early on.

I realize this rating system would definitely not please alot of people but I assure you everyone would grow to love it as building a team would be that much more satisfying when individual players are just that, individuals. I can only imagine the joy I would feel when I drafted a guy like Ozzie Jones and found his potential to be that of Barry Sanders, a potential that only comes around once or twice a lifetime, sadly I will likely never experience this.

Last edited by Pass_The_Cows; 01-27-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Won't be one.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Won't be one.
Sadly, this is the truth
Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5

Might be one in 201X
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Rookie

cloudedskate's Arena

OVR: 11

Another thing would be to create your own trades. I want to be able to choose who or what picks to trade instead of going through a whole bunch of preset ones. They also have to update the game engine. They way they run the draft is perfect for me. I think most people in this forum would agree with me when I say that the draft is the best part of this game.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudedskate
Another thing would be to create your own trades. I want to be able to choose who or what picks to trade instead of going through a whole bunch of preset ones. They also have to update the game engine. They way they run the draft is perfect for me. I think most people in this forum would agree with me when I say that the draft is the best part of this game.
I like your idea of creating your own trades, and I do agree that the draft is the best part of the game. But I think the scouting system could still use some imporvements to make it more realistic and detailed.
2. Cardinals #2
3. Jets.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Rookie

hawkeye2188's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwindu
If they make one:
3. Not Just Head Coach
I would suggest doing this in a completely different game, but I think it would be a very interesting mode if we could do a Coaching Career where we start out as a Position Coach with a team or something. I'll touch on this more at the end.
Would be my favorite feature if they add it. If they do it will probably be HC, OC, DC, and maybe special teams.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »