Home

New Dolphins Dynasty thread?

This is a discussion on New Dolphins Dynasty thread? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: New Dolphins Dynasty thread?

Ok, game 1 is in the books (i plan on simulating most of the games, as i did in week 1).

Final: Dolphins 19, NYJ 0

Observations:

I started Woodson in this game due to a Beck injury in practice, and he really struggled. only compiled a 45.6 rating....80 yards on 5 completions out of 18 attempts. 0 tds, 0 ints (at least he didn't turn the ball over).

My running game was very good (surprising given my very young, inexperienced oline).

Felix Jones: 27 carries, 110 yards, 4.0 avg, 0 tds
Ronnie Brown: 14 carries, 63 yards, 4.5 avg, 1 td

My Defense was EXCEPTIONAL:

Allowed 101 TOTAL yards and only 4 first downs, including 0 for 11 on 3rd down conversions. They also forced two turnovers and registered two sacks. Key performers:

Keith Rivers: 6 tackles
Terrell Suggs: 4 tackles, 2 tfl, 1 sack, 1 Forced Fumble
Marcus Trufant: 2 tackles, 1 int

Overall: Great start to the season, let's see if my qb play can be more consistent.

Next Game: At Arizona
Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
Rookie

How does one get to choose what path to take? Zazzali or Kain?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonut
How does one get to choose what path to take? Zazzali or Kain?
Save before about 6 days before the 1st regular season game of the 2009 season, then wait for commentary on the draft path. You can re-load if you don't get the path you like.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
Rookie

Ok guys. Rather than go game by game (since I've really been anxious to get this season over with so I can bring in my own staff and have another good draft), I'll just provide an 08 season summary.

We finished the year 6-10. While obviously not great, it was a noticeable improvement from 1-15 and saw a lot of young players really grow up. (I simmed pretty much every game except the buffalo game). Here are some notable developments:

1. QB Andre Woodson had a pretty bad year as he really struggled. He did have a couple really nice performances to close out the year in losing efforts. His final stats:
55.6 QB rating, 44% completion percentage, 2309 yards, 12 tds and 18 ints.

2. HB Felix Jones finished in the top five in Offensive Rookie of the Year voting. His stats: 288 attempts for 1170 yards and 5 tds. had a 4.0 ypc average (which should improve with a much stronger o-line next season). He did have 4 fumbles, which isn't too bad over a 16 game season. Finished the year with 11 catches for 98 yards. I have to see if there is a way to increase this total as he has the explosiveness to really be a dual threat at RB. Bright future in store for this kid (97 potential and 98 durability).

3. Mario Manningham finished second in OROTY voting. His season stats:
59 receptions for 879 yards (14.8 avg) and 5 tds. These numbers should only improve with better QB play next year, as well as an infusion of WR talent around him.

4. ROLB Keith Rivers ran away with the Defensive Rookie of the Year award. He's just finished his rookie year and he's already considered one of the league's best at his position. Speaking of which, is there any way to view players' awards throughout their career, such as number of pro bowl trips, etc.? Anyway, here are his stats:
139 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, 2 int's, 3 passes defensed, and 1 forced fumble.

5. Rookie safety Kenny Phillips also had a good year. He's just so versatile that he can play any position in the secondary and do it at a high level. His stats:
63 tackles, 3 tfl, 1 sack, 5 int's, and 4 passes defensed

6. My two FA signings are working out beautifully. Moving Suggs to DE was a stroke of genius.

DE Terrell Suggs: 58 tackles, 19 tfl, 13 sacks, 1 int, 2 forced fumbles, and a pass defensed.

CB Marcus Trufant: 62 tackles, 7 int's, 6 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery, and 1 TD.

2008 Pro Bowlers:

DE Terrell Suggs
ROLB Keith Rivers
CB Marcus Trufant
CB Will Allen
SS Kenny Phillips

In summation, 2008 was a move in the right direction and saw the growth of several key players. These players will serve as building blocks for the future and all are 26 or younger. Not bad.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #13
Rookie

Ok, my staff is finally complete:

HC Aaron Woods- (yes that's my name....I have to live out my dream of being an NFL head coach somehow!). On a side note, I decided NOT to use the motivator skill. It just seems too easy. So instead I went the Innovator route. We'll see how that works out.
OC Barry Trammell (developing players isn't his forte necessarily, but he has a potential level 5 play calling, strategy, and Team chemistry.....as well as up to level 4 Performance. The position coaches will pick up the slack in the player development department)
DC Mike Singletary (I was thrilled that SF fired him and that he was available as a DC. Play calling is somewhat lacking (only a level 2), but he's a level 5 in player peformance and strategy, and he's a machine at developing LB's as he's already maxed out at lvl 5 in physical and play learning development...intangibles at lvl 4. DL and DB development is at a level 4 in every category. With the exception of learning...which is a level 3. Throw on top of that several special skills, and you've got one top notch coordinator (81 overall now).
S.T. Coordinator Gary Fanning-has solid growth potential
QB Coach Paul Hackett (lvl 5 physical development, lvl 4 in intangibles and play learning)
RB Coach James Saxon (lvl 5 in physical and intangible development, lvl 4 in play learning)
WR Coach Chad Merriam (lvl 5 in physical development and intangible development, lvl 4 in play learning)
OL Coach Juan Castillo (lvl 4 in physical development, lvl 5 in intangibles and play learning)
LB Coach Mike Katcavage (has a possible lvl 5 in playcalling and performance. Also has lvl 5 intangible development and lvl 4 physical and play learning. I plan on grooming him to take over as DC whenever Singletary leaves).
DL Coach Tim Spangler (level 4 performance, possible level 5 in physical development and play learning, lvl 4 in intangibles)
DB Coach Chipper Duncan (the weakest of all my hires, he does have up to lvl 4 in playcalling and in gameday performance. He has potential lvl 5 in playcalling, but only possible lvl 3 in intangibles and play learning. I plan on fortifying my head coach's attributes in those areas though to compensate)
GM Gary Meese (quit as gm for the giants. looks to be a strong gm.....65 ovr....and already has all of the first three scouting special skills. so college scouting is a breeze now)
Trainer Robert Wyman (99 overall, is maxed out in all skills and has the "recover health faster during the offseason" special skill already)
Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
Rookie

09 Offseason Outlook:

1. I plan on doing absolutely NOTHING in FA this season. I have almost 19 million in current penalties due to the Taylor and Porter trades (Porter won NFL Defensive Player of the Year though...for what it's worth). I'm sitting at around 25 million in cap space though....plenty to sign this year's draft picks.

Selections in the 2009 NFL Draft:

1st (1st overall) - Got this pick from the Ravens during last year's draft when I traded out of the number one overall pick. They went 1-15 this past season. They definitely got the short end of the stick in that trade! Lucky for me I'm in a position to grab my QB of the future in Florida State signal-caller Joe Kain. This pick is a no-brainer as I can hand in the card right now!
1st (12th overall)
2nd (44th overall)
2nd (56th overall)
3rd
3rd
4th
6th
7th
Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
Rookie

2009 Draft Recap

1st overall pick
- QB Joe Kain, FSU
-I grab a guy with elite, hall of fame potential who will lead my offense for years to come. His leadership and work ethic are just as important as his physical tools, which are immense (6'5", 230 pounds, rocket arm, and decent mobility for a guy his size). Since I'm a Bucs fan, he's my version of Josh Freeman (thus he'll wear number 5!)
12th overall pick - DE Caraun Lawrence, Notre Dame
-Best player available hands down. I could have gone a couple different ways here, but I do face Tom Brady at least twice a year, so putting someone with such explosive talent on a DL that already includes Pro Bowler Terrell Suggs, Dre Moore, and Athya Rubin was too good to pass up. At 6'4" and just under 260lbs, he's somewhat undersized (and actually would probably be a fantastic 3-4 olb for those interested), but he makes up for it with BLAZING speed (try 94 speed, 92 agility, and 97 acceleration.....this guy could line up at WR and beat his man!!!) and a nose for the QB. I get a guy with top 5 ability at the 12th pick. A no-brainer. Now my DL is absolutely sick. QBs are shaking already!
31st overall pick (traded up) - G Scott Burke, Stanford
-Having drafted my QB of the future, I need to be able to keep him upright (and blow open holes for my running game), and this guy is pretty much NFL ready out of the gate. He's technically sound, has exceptional strength, and is a very intelligent guy. He learns fast, so picking up the playbook in short order should be no problem for this stud.
2nd Round (56th overall) - RT Denard Steele, Oregon
-Keeping Kaine on his feet continues to be a priority, and luckily I'm in a position to take Steele, who has Pro Bowl potential. Ultimately I think he has the potential to play LT despite his RT designation, but I plan on starting him off on the right side for the first year or two until he adapts to the speed of the pro game.
3rd Round (12th) - CB Marcus Houston, Wyoming
-I continue to take the BPA, and while he's somewhat undersized at 5'9", he has exceptional pressing ability. Combine that with blazing speed and quickness, you have a potential starter down the road and solid depth for the time being.
4th Round (12th) - WR Richard Sellers, Ohio State
-Quite possibly THE steal of the draft, this 6'3", 211lb receiver ran a 4.3 forty (98 spd, 99 agility, 99 acceleration), has solid hands and runs solid routes. He has explosive leaping ability and great body control along with the propensity to make highlight reel catches. I've decided that he must have character concerns....as that's the only way a player like this slides to the 4th round. He's an absolute steal here, and his combination of size, speed, and athleticism could make him my number one wideout of the future. Paring him with Mario Manningham should provide an absolutely lethal WR tandem.
5th Round (32nd) - FS Ben Long, New Hampshire
-Despite playing against subpar competition at New Hampshire, Long has the upside to be a star at FS. He combines exceptional size (6'2", 221lbs) with very good speed (91 spd and 92 acc) and receiver-like hands. This ballhawk never gives up on a play and takes great angles to the ball carrier. It'll likely take some time for his awareness to catch up to the speed of the pro game. But he's a fast learner and a hard worker....so when it does, watch out! Along with last year's rookie sensation Kenny Phillips, we have the potential for a dynamic young safety duo.
6th Round (22nd) - TE Chris Guillory, Minnesota
-Although he was drafted mainly to fill a need as a third TE, he does have good speed (90) and good size at 6'3", 250lbs. He could create some situational matchup problems. He has just average potential though and will likely never crack the starting lineup...with the exception of injury of course.
7th Round (17th) - CB J.B. Lake, John Carroll
-Has good speed and pretty good size. Drafted for depth.

Noteable Undrafted FAs:

WR Alex Higgins, Tennessee St.
(99 spd, agility, acc...82 catching, 90 learning, 85 route)

WR Tony Ward, Midwestern St. (another freaky fast speed receiver)

Last edited by Truthseeker83; 04-08-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker83
Ok, my staff is finally complete:

LB Coach Mike Katcavage (has a possible lvl 5 in playcalling and performance. Also has lvl 5 intangible development and lvl 4 physical and play learning. I plan on grooming him to take over as DC whenever Singletary leaves).
Just to let you know, Katkavage only goes to 1 in non-LB development. That might be a weakness if you plan on making him DC. His Titan personality means he moves on unless do promote him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »