Home

How many years have you gone?

This is a discussion on How many years have you gone? within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 26
How many years have you gone?

How many years have you gone, and how did you do the seasons? Just wondering how many years everyone has done in a career. I've always played all the games, but never made it past 2013/2014.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Icon10 Re: How many years have you gone?

It's currently 2018 and things are getting wonky! Last time I looked Marvin Harrison was still playing at 46! About 90% of the he FAs available for bids in 2018 were over 30. Most of them wanted 2 year deals which was fine. No matter the age, if they are healthy, this year and one more isn't a big risk!

I did eight years with the Dolphins. I had 15-1 regular seasons my last three years there and left for the challenge of building another champion, this time in St. Louis.

That came too quickly, probably because of weak AI and all the info I had about the Dolphin players. Like so many coaches IRL, I managed to bring a few of my players along with me. I traded all the Ram's bad contracts and got draft picks which I used to get some excellent players from Miami. As soon as I hired my new staff in 2017 it was Superbowl Number 4.

So I moved one more time, this time to Tampa Bay. They had huge cap room and the #9 pick in the draft. I made yet another rule for myself, no trading for players who are not on the trading block. I filled most of my holes in Free Agency and then got four players with 90 or higher potential in the draft! I'm currently 11-2 so this may not be very challenging either!

One funny thing that happened was my acquisition of Ricky Manning, the slowest CB in the game! After my FA shopping was done and my low draft picks were used, I still needed CBs! I drafted or signed 4 CBs with attractive "similar to" names. None of them panned out. Then nearly at the end of preseason, up pops Ricky, an 85 CB, not too expensive, 36 years old, healthy and without a learning disability. That was good enough for me!

As we started the season I was somewhat distressed at the number of times my opponents got a receiver behind my defense for a long TD. I wrote it off to poor playbook knowledge and put it out of my mind. Then about 4 games into the season, while I was looking for better kick return options, I noticed Ricky had a speed rating of 29. I thought that must be a display error but I got the same number from three or four different screens. Needless to say, Ricky was traded before the next game! And, we haven't had any more receivers ten yards behind the nearest defender!

I just checked up on Ricky in Buffalo. His speed is down to 27, maybe it's the cold! He does have 3 INTs and 44 tackles for the year but he's already planning to retire!

I intend to do the full 15 year career. I'll probably move one more time if I get a Superbowl in 2018 or 2019. Six Superbowls with 4 different teams would be HoF on the first ballot!

Oh, I play all but the preseason games.

Last edited by Wheeler Dealer; 11-28-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Marvin is 46, not 48
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Rookie

Shaka23's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How many years have you gone?

That's great stuff Wheeler. I never notice Ricky Manning drop in speed like that haha.

I've gone the full 15 twice but that's because I finally chose to simulate my games rather than play them. Who has the time to play every single game for 15 seasons? I sure don't.

It's pretty anti-climactic to be forced out of dodge Bobby Bowden style.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Rookie

Shaka23's Arena

OVR: 3

Was confused why my post was warned. I see now the picture in my signature is somehow against rules.

Last edited by Shaka23; 11-30-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
Rookie

The KC Logo? That's bizarre!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Ive done a chiefs career up to 2020 and Ted Washington wont retire. He always pops up as a free agent and the dolphins always get him. He always ends up getting hurt, but they keep resigning him. And for the games, I play only regular season games. No preseason.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 26

Not the KC logo-the giant coach he had in his signature. As for Manning-it must be due to some serious injuries. He starts with 90 speed in 2008, and I think the physical skills don't start declining until 31-from what I see 1-3 points a year.I can't see otherwise how his speed could have declined that much.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
Not the KC logo-the giant coach he had in his signature. As for Manning-it must be due to some serious injuries. He starts with 90 speed in 2008, and I think the physical skills don't start declining until 31-from what I see 1-3 points a year.I can't see otherwise how his speed could have declined that much.
I didn't even get a display of the objectionable logo. I wondered later why he referred to the info on the left of the post as a signature. Now I know.

I'm playing 2019 now and I've started checking prospective additions for speed. I was about to bid on an OVL 90 CB (Cedric Green I think) a couple of days ago and then noticed that his speed was 68.

I just pulled up a list of CB sorted by speed. There are 19 employed that have speed less than 70. They range from age 34 to 39. Most of the OVL ratings are above 80.

Marvin Harrison is still playing WR for the Colts at 47. His OVL is 80 and his speed is 35 but in 2018 he had 97 catches and over 1500 yards!

That would make me think the speed rating isn't that important. It could reflect where they fall between 4.2 and 5.2 in the 40. However, with Ricky Manning as my #1 CB with speed 29, three WR got at least 10 yards behind my defense in the first three games. Once I traded him, that particular problem went away.

Hmmm... maybe it's different when simmed instead of played?

It appears to me that players aren't retiring as fast as new players are attempting to enter the league. I'll postulate that the CPU isn't playing the rookies over the veterans and the rookies ratings begin to decline after a couple of years. The result is that the league is aging.

For example: J J Sunday is a Joe Montana "similar to". In the 2018 draft my GM had his potential at 97. Eighteen games into his career, he hasn't thrown a pass. His current OVL is 84 and he's riding the pine behind the 39 year old Derrick Anderson who has an 89 OVL. I'm going to keep my eye on that. If Derrick will hang in there a bit longer maybe the Bengals will trade Sunday!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »