Home

Patriot's Franchise - a realistic approach

This is a discussion on Patriot's Franchise - a realistic approach within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Patriot's Franchise - a realistic approach

I didn't know that so many people had journals of their franchise and now that I have read a little into how they function, I thought I would give it a try myself. Before I start, I must mention that I don't know the draft path I was given in this franchise (the one with Deandre Roe) but I have played Madden for a while and really know the coaching aspect of the game. Yet, I want to keep the career realistic so I will try and make it work in a way I find most realistic.

Firstly, I elected to start in the Off-season, but I wanted to keep the draft realistic as explained.

Here is the 2008 Off-Season:

- Franchise Tag Randy Moss
- In F.A. signed N. Asomugha to a 5yr 41M contract
- Traded Randy Moss to the Lions for the 45th pick in 2008, and 2009 1st
- Traded 4th Round, Pick 31 to the 49ers for TE V. Davis
- Signed F.A. J. Gaffney for a 1yr 600K contract
- Signed F.A. C. Henry for a 1yr 600K contract

2008 Draft: I tend to keep my Off-Season moves mostly focused on the draft, so here is what ended up happening for me.

1, 7: Rivers
2, 31: Patrick Lee (CB)
4, 5: B. Bell (MLB)
4, 8: J. Hester (FB/HB)
4, 10: Z. Bowman (CB)
5, 10: A. Rubin
5, 31: K. Robinson (WR)
6, 31: J. Sullivan (C)
7, 31: W. Adams (G)

For me, I really needed a new linebacker, and so Keith Rivers at pick 7 was the best choice. Darren McFadden was also available, but he had a SuperStar personality and I didn't want anyone with a "me attitude" Hence, everyone in this draft had either great, or somewhat tolerable personalities.

Grades:
Going into the year, my weakest point was with the WR, but seeing as how I just got three potential play-makers in the passing game in the off-season, it should help adjusting to Moss leaving. Other than that, my second concern really is to get younger, and brace for any big injuries, namely in the front seven on defense. I think this too was addressed by drafting Rivers, Bell, and Rubin.

*I will continue the rest in the upcoming post, I am currently in my third season and will do my best to update it to my current season ASAP. Any comments are appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Patriot's Franchise - a realistic approach

2008 53-Man Roster:
After the usual cuts and minor signings, here is the roster for the season. The Depth chart is also reflected by the order that they appear in.

QB:
Tom Brady
Matt Cassel

HB:
L. Maroney
K. Faulk
J. Hester (Rookie)
J. Buckingham (UDFA Rookie)

FB:
H. Evans
J. Hester (Rookie)

WR:
J. Gaffney (already has some plays learned)
C. Henry
W. Welker (too short for playing outside receivers)
V. Davis
K. Robinson (Rookie)
C. Jackson

TE:
B. Watson
D. Thomas
V. davis

LT:
M. Light
W. Britt

LG:
L. Mankins
W. Adams

C:
R. O'Callahan
D. Connolly
J. Sullivan (Rookie)

RG:
S. Neal
B. Yates

RT:
N. Kaczur
J. Sullivan (Rookie)

LE:
T. Warren
L. Smith

RE:
R. Seymour
J. Green

DT:
V. Wilfork
A. Rubin (Rookie)

LOLB:
M. Vrabel
P. Woods

MLB:
T. Bruschi
K. Rivers (Rookie)
J. Seau
B. Bell (Rookie)

ROLB:
A. Thomas
J. Seau
B. Bell (Rookie)

CB:
N. Asomugha
E. Hobbs
P. Lee (Rookie)
Z. Bowman (Rookie)
D. Tribble (Rookie)

FS:
B. Meriweather
J. Sanders

SS:
R. Harrison
J. Adams (Rookie)

K:
S. Gostkowski

P:
C. Hanson
Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #3
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6

Very cool! I like how you looked people's personalities and tried to stick to what you wanted, even if it meant you passed on someone. I love when people look past the numbers. The Pats are so stacked, it seems no one does them - it will be interesting to see what happens with your franchise.

Side note - Moss to the Lions!! Holy Cow!! Instantly the best WR core in the league in Detroit now, bar none.

Good luck, looking forward to reading more.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Rookie

To be honest, I felt I was ripping them off, but the offer they gave me was their first offer, not one that was negotiated. I also tend to make fair trade offers, for example, I won't trade away a backup guard for a 1st rounder even though bed teams would accept that.

The Season: Summary

The season included a variety of roster moves and games. However, most games were not too dramatic and I broke a lot of records with the team. The final record was 16-0 again but there were a few games that I unexpectedly struggled against, like the Seahawks and Falcons.

Tom Brady had 4988 passing yards, 49 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions. This was mostly thanks to my 3 TE shotgun formation I created. Where Watson and Thomas were on one side, and Davis on the other, and 2 WR's on either side. This was my main passing play against blitzing teams like the Giants, Eagles, and Steelers. This was partly thanks to my blocking, both running and passing, as Brady was only sacked 21 times, and Maroney had 1090 rushing yards with a 5.0 average per carry. The offense was as expected number one in the league.

One of the major off-season moves was to trade for LOLB Jarret Johnson from the Ravens, who would be preparing to take over for LOLB Mike Vrabel next season. Though Johnson is only 81 overall, compared to Vrabel's 87, the main difference is that Johnson can't blitz well. This wasn't a big problem, as i used Thomas and Bruschi as my main blitzers anyways.

My secondary did very well, though we were 1st in Run but 7th in Pass defense. Meriweather and Harrison both made the Pro Bowl, and I decided to stick with Meriweather as my starter for seasons to come as a result. though he is only 78 overall with a 81 potential, he gets the job done and that is what matters. I wanted to also keep Harrison, but he asked for a 3yr 15M contract - yea right! I'll just Franchise Tag him for a season, and if he is mad about it, I will just release him. At the age of 34, he no longer has the leverage over contract situations and it won't be a big loss to have him cut.

I won the superbowl but it was a very dramatic game against the Bucs. However, I know cover 2 inside and out from playing against a Cover 2 defense as QB on my high school team. The keys to beating the defense is as follows:

1. If they have an overpowering D-line, then it will be hard. The Buccaneers don't so I would just run up the middle 20-25 times during the game. The same approach would destroy the Colts too, as they are the same defense as Bucs (Dungy was Buc's head coach before Indy)
2. The weakness to any cover 2 lies in the safties, in this case, Buccaneers have a decent safety core but not as great as the Colts' Bethea and Sanders. Regardless, I planned to throw it deep in the middle, where there is usually no one covering. Eventually, the computer figures this out and goes to "Cover 2 Buc" where the MLB covers the deep region like a pseudo Cover 3. This is where running up the middle comes in real handy.
3. NEVER ever pass to the outside slants, Cover 2 corners are Masters at Zone defense and even a slightly mistimed throw will be a pick 6. Hence, I stuck to plays that had mostly posts, hook, and screen routes, giving me about 5-6 yards a play.

Final Score in the SuperBowl: Patriots 35 Buccaneers 14

Pro Bowlers: My team didn't have as many pro bowlers as you would expect from a 16-0 team that placed 1st in Offense and Defense, mostly because my key to success lies in play calling, not my players. Regardless, here are the Pro Bowlers for the team:

QB Tom Brady
HB Laurence Maroney
FB Heath Evans
WR Wes Welker (over 1500 yards and 18 TD's out of the slot)
TE V. Davis (1006 yards receiving and 8 TD's)
LT M. Light
LG L. Mankins
LE T. Warren
MLB K. Rivers (Rookie Defensive Player of the year; 10 sacks for season)
ROLB A. Thomas (13 Sacks; 4 Int's; Over 100 tackles)
CB N. Asomugha (5 Int's; 3 TD's; 2 FF's; Over 50 tackles; 158 yards given)
FS B. Meriweather (6 Int's; 1 TD; 2 FF's; Over 40 tackles; 108 yards given)
SS R. Harrison (2 Int's; 3 FF's; Over 50 tackles; 3 Sacks)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Rookie

2009 Off-season:

I didn't expect there to be any coaching changes, but my D-line coach left and I replaced him with J. Tomsula (a very good candidate.) Also, the trainer was replaced with with a guy that was 99 overall, but I had to give up a few philosophies to accommodate him - not sure if it was worth it yet.

As per re-signings, the key departures would be:

SS Harrison
LOLB Vrabel (replaced with Johnson)
HB Evans (replaced with J. Hester)
MLB J. Seau (retired)

Thus, I Franchise Tagged Harrison, and as expected, lost 2 points in approval since he was pissed. I didn't care much, if he was not performing in training camp as a result, I can just release him and even if I have a void in safety, it sends a message to the team that "there is no I in team." Thankfully, he came to his senses and his Captain personality made him get back to work. On a side note, I find it odd he is a Captain, I would have labelled him a Titan due to his dirty play and reckless penalties.

Free Agency:

From the Free Agency, I resigned a few of my WR's back - J. Gaffney and C. Henry. The former for a 2-yr 2.8M contract with no bonus, and the latter for a 2-yr 1.5M contract with no bonus. This way, if i beef up my WR's from the draft, I can release both guys next season.

* I will continue on this after lunch and I hope it was a nice read. Any suggestions and improvements to my writing style are welcome, and I hope you found the career realistic so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

How is the coaching aspect of Madden? I haven't played it in a while.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Rookie

Compared to Head Coach 09, it is non existent. I don't play madden anymore except if friends come over, it is an embarrassment to football games actually - too many glitches, bull****, and unrealism for my tastes.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 1

Very interesting thread. Would you care to share your 3 TE 2 WR set? I am looking for that kind of formation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »