Home

Draft info in scouting report

This is a discussion on Draft info in scouting report within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Draft info in scouting report

When you draft players does anyone pay attention to things such as big play ability, polish, maturity, reading defense exec. And does anyone know what they mean and does anyone know what are physical tools and quarterback mechanics
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Draft info in scouting report

Most important ones are touch quick release and deep ball accuracy for me. Those are ones I cherrish as they mean:
Touch(really accurate position and ball speed wise),
quick release(fast throwing motion and quick diagnosis of the defense),
deepball accuracy(ability to spot a deep pass 20+ yards perfectly so as to hit a man in stride more often or before they go out of bounds)

Polish I believe would mean they are closer to their potentials at ratings, or have a lot of intangible as in pass accuracy and awareness for a qb, ready to perform in the first game of preseason.

Maturity I assume would mean they wouldnt be a problem in the locker room.

Athleticism means they have an amazing arm or can move but it isnt always correct so I dont pay attention to it really.

Big play ability means they are athletic enough to take one to the house at anytime, usually based on speed acceleration and agility in my experience and best for rbs. I look for that after ball carrier vision and break tackle.

In otherwords, I look at/for key ones, not all of them. Quick first step and motor are important for dlineman. You just kinda look for the traits you would really like at a position and if you find someone with them, try and draft them.

Last edited by chiguyinthedessert; 11-20-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Rookie

Hey thanks dude for the info so I'm guessing those underlying ratings make a difference in gameplay
Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Rx3
Rookie

For receivers, I like to look for guys that have big catch in traffic ratings. Definitely helps especially when you have a younger or less skilled QB that likes to throw into double coverage a lot.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
Rookie

Hey thanks would it help anybody if I made a list of these underlying ratings as a guide because it appears as these things are very significant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Rx3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1387sportscraver
Hey thanks would it help anybody if I made a list of these underlying ratings as a guide because it appears as these things are very significant

It's tough to make a guide for this kind of thing because it is so subjective. OBviously, if you see a player with 80s or 90s across the board, grab him if you can. But typically, you are not in that position.

You have juke, spectacular catch, ball carrier vision, catch in traffic, impact blocking, there's a ton of them.

Depending on your philosophy, playbook and what you are trying to achieve, the attributes you look for can change. You may have players that only excel at certain things. Everybody's "must haves" will be different based on how they play.

I would suggest figuring out specifically what your philosophy on offense and defense is scheme wise, and what your detailed vision for your team is. Once you have that figured out, the attributes you need to focus on will be pretty apparent. The attributes themselves are pretty self explanatory so it won't be hard to focus on what you need.

So right now, what offensive scheme are you running and what are you trying to accomplish offensively? And don't just go with "score points", or "win the game". How do you want your offense to excute? What is your offensive identity?

Once you have that mapped out, then look at your key personnel and how they complement each other.

For example, you decided to run a traditional Pro Set offense. You want your offense identity to be able to methodically move the chains for first downs and eat up clock with quick hitting pass plays. You want the defense to be worn out chasing your guys all over the place. You don't necessarily want to bank on "the long ball" to get your offense down the field.

Alright, you have your vision for your offensive identity so what kind of personell do you have?

Ok, my QB has a good arm, but is awareness is not the best and he tends to throw into double and triple coverage. What kind of WR would we need? Maybe he needs a WR that can run very precise routes (RTR), and can catch the ball with a CB draped on him or double coverage (CIT). This way your QB doesn't have to be perfect, the receiver is making up for the QB's deficiencies. So that's what you focus for attribute wise for WR.

Ok change the example. You have a QB with a cannon for an arm. You want to go deep all day every day. Streaks, Deep Posts, and Corner Routes. This time, you may not necessarily need a guy that can catch in traffic. You might want a fast, taller receiver that can beat his man deep with the ability go up and get the ball (JMP), and make the spectacular grabs (SPC).

Lets say you had Peyton Manning. 99 AWR, super accurate. You might be able to operate with an athletic receiver that is quick and can get open. ACC, SPD, AGL. Doesn't necessarily have to be perfect on the route. Just get space, and Manning will put the ball where it needs to be. Then the receiver can use his physical skills, and some nice juke or spin moves to rack up the yards after the catch.

You can play with this kind of thing all over your roster. It all depends on what you are trying to do.

If you have all world players with 90+ everything, great! If your salary cap sucks, and you have low draft pics nad the pickings aren't that good, the attributes you look for should match your vision and scheme for your team.

Last edited by Rx3; 11-20-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Rookie

Thanks I have been playing the game for a while but any bit of info helps
Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Rookie

revan615's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx3
It's tough to make a guide for this kind of thing because it is so subjective. OBviously, if you see a player with 80s or 90s across the board, grab him if you can. But typically, you are not in that position.

You have juke, spectacular catch, ball carrier vision, catch in traffic, impact blocking, there's a ton of them.

Depending on your philosophy, playbook and what you are trying to achieve, the attributes you look for can change. You may have players that only excel at certain things. Everybody's "must haves" will be different based on how they play.

I would suggest figuring out specifically what your philosophy on offense and defense is scheme wise, and what your detailed vision for your team is. Once you have that figured out, the attributes you need to focus on will be pretty apparent. The attributes themselves are pretty self explanatory so it won't be hard to focus on what you need.

So right now, what offensive scheme are you running and what are you trying to accomplish offensively? And don't just go with "score points", or "win the game". How do you want your offense to excute? What is your offensive identity?

Once you have that mapped out, then look at your key personnel and how they complement each other.

For example, you decided to run a traditional Pro Set offense. You want your offense identity to be able to methodically move the chains for first downs and eat up clock with quick hitting pass plays. You want the defense to be worn out chasing your guys all over the place. You don't necessarily want to bank on "the long ball" to get your offense down the field.

Alright, you have your vision for your offensive identity so what kind of personell do you have?

Ok, my QB has a good arm, but is awareness is not the best and he tends to throw into double and triple coverage. What kind of WR would we need? Maybe he needs a WR that can run very precise routes (RTR), and can catch the ball with a CB draped on him or double coverage (CIT). This way your QB doesn't have to be perfect, the receiver is making up for the QB's deficiencies. So that's what you focus for attribute wise for WR.

Ok change the example. You have a QB with a cannon for an arm. You want to go deep all day every day. Streaks, Deep Posts, and Corner Routes. This time, you may not necessarily need a guy that can catch in traffic. You might want a fast, taller receiver that can beat his man deep with the ability go up and get the ball (JMP), and make the spectacular grabs (SPC).

Lets say you had Peyton Manning. 99 AWR, super accurate. You might be able to operate with an athletic receiver that is quick and can get open. ACC, SPD, AGL. Doesn't necessarily have to be perfect on the route. Just get space, and Manning will put the ball where it needs to be. Then the receiver can use his physical skills, and some nice juke or spin moves to rack up the yards after the catch.

You can play with this kind of thing all over your roster. It all depends on what you are trying to do.

If you have all world players with 90+ everything, great! If your salary cap sucks, and you have low draft pics nad the pickings aren't that good, the attributes you look for should match your vision and scheme for your team.
Everything that he just said. Thats a great post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »