Home

Trying new Coach Skills Progression

This is a discussion on Trying new Coach Skills Progression within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Trying new Coach Skills Progression

I want to warn you annette, While that seems like a fun way to play, you may not be very successful depending on the sliders you use. On default, yea, you can prolly win most games even with that strategy. I couldnt pull that bull**** though on mine.

The thing is, unless you have 2 coaches at that position with at least 3(preferably 4 or 5) in each of the developments for that position, you wont be better than average at those positions(sorry for the run on sentence). So by that I mean, you wont have substantial enough improvement to warrant your boosting of that positions development.

I like that you're trying to get away from ambition and motivator/leadership as they arent necessary and can cheapen the game(early on in careers at least). Just please think this through a little more. I dont want you to start the career and then its not going well so you want to quit, cause the plan didnt work.(it might, i just dont think it will...)
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

I have decided to try a little change to things. I don't have time to play the games like I want to, but that is what I started doing with the Browns. So I have decided to have another game where I just sim the games. I know that doesn't help as much with the coaching progression, but it lets me play the game without having to spend as much time.

So I have my Browns team in their 3rd season, not doing too bad actually. We are 3-2 after 2 tough losses to the Steelers and the Patriots. I play this one when I have time to commit to playing a game.

I have the Titans as well (just simming games) that is in the off-season after the 1st Season. I thought I was going to get fired (I did once, but I had saved prior to that) and I have the 2nd pick in the draft, which I will do shortly.

I also have a Redskins game, that is also just simming to see how I handle the messed up salary cap and over-the-hill gang, but that one is just in the off-season of the first year.

So I have my hands full, but it is fun to do since each one presents their own challenges and each requires a different level of commitment time wise.

I am excited about the new NCAA so it is hard to get in to a game there knowing I will be replacing it in about a month, and I love playing HC.

So let the challenges continue!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 26

For the sim dynasties-you might put points in Play Call and Strategy.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

I have it set so the HC calls both offense and defense. I have been putting the points for the HC on playcalling, didnt think about strategy to be honest, so thanks for that.

I have been putting all of the points for everyone else into development.

So I will see how this goes.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #21
Just started!

OVR: 0

Does anyone put a whole lot of stock into player development in the beginning or do you build that up as you go? I never put any points into player development because I never know which position will end up needing the most work.

If anything, I sometimes put intangible development up for positions that rely on it like QB or DB and maybe physical development for OL and DL but other than that, I never know.

Maybe I'll put points into strategy and performance, maybe playcall if I plan on allowing myself to call the plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jail2end
Does anyone put a whole lot of stock into player development in the beginning or do you build that up as you go? I never put any points into player development because I never know which position will end up needing the most work.

If anything, I sometimes put intangible development up for positions that rely on it like QB or DB and maybe physical development for OL and DL but other than that, I never know.

Maybe I'll put points into strategy and performance, maybe playcall if I plan on allowing myself to call the plays.
Ebongreen recommends in his thread that you get all the development skills to 3 before putting any points in the special skills-simply because of points. The special skills start at about 5000(without Ambition), and the level 3 development skills are 3500 each.

I can see a bit of sense in getting Ambition at the start(although it is certainly debatable). You can also make a case for the Playbook specials the first year and Charm and Charisma.

As far as the regular skills, Performance affects gameplay on the field. You only need playcall if you're letting the Game AI handle your playcalling-you don't need it if you call your own plays.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 3

Jail, this career I have on the zazzali path I havent put ANYTHING into special skills. I bought 3 strategy and performance at the creation point and then have only gotten development. I must say its a different experience and allows for a lot more variety in how you develop your coach throughout the years.

For instance, I started with the chargers so while they had a good secondary, their coaching there was atrocious, same with wrs and coaches. So I went to 4 in both db and wr as fast as possible(all three developments). Then I went lbs and tes to 3, then k and p to 3, then everything else to 2, then dl and oline to 3, now Im getting rb to 3 and then I'll get qb to 3. Once Im done with that, I'll get the kickers lbs and tes to 4 then the 2 lines, then the rbs and qbs.

But on a different team, you would start as a lb and ol or 2 offensive, or 2 defensive. It just gives more variety. I give the special skills to my position and coordinators once I have their positions to 4 or as high as they go below that. Leads to better competition down the road.

I used to always get ambition and the charm charisma and then shoot for motivator but I just dont want to do special skills anymore. At least not till Im a 4 at all 3 developments for everyone on the hc. If you are gonna do special skills I highly suggest specializing instead of generalizing. If you just get all the first special skills your team is gonna be ridiculously strong and you wont get a lot of challenge. But if you specialize on the wr tree or what not, you will still have weak spots which will make for better competition.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #24
MVP

The one thing you have to keep in mind when you decide how many points to put into player development vs. special skills at the start-the CPU coaches start with a big advantage in player development and the regular skills. They'll put all their points in Ambition and the other special skills the first 2 years because they're at least average in the regular skills already.

A lot is going to depend on the strength of your playbook and how high you put Performance with your HC. If both of those are at least average, you can afford to focus on development right out of the gate. If they're a little weaker, you might want to start with some special skills.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »