Home

2K10 ~ Better Defensive Play & Positioning

This is a discussion on 2K10 ~ Better Defensive Play & Positioning within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27
2K10 ~ Better Defensive Play & Positioning

Having looked at both global attribute changes and slider/strategies changes, my conclusion is that thankfully, the attribute changes don't matter as much.

If there is one key slider that seems to make them play better (not perfect) positioning and pursuit is "defensive aggressiveness". Placing this on "0" seemed to be the ultimate key. The other salient ones are a matter of choice, but I'll list here what I think play into this most prominently:

Skating Speed ........ 59
Speed Burst Length.. 75
Acceleration ..............3
User Speed Burst .......9
CPU Speed Burst ......10
Stick Lift Success ......45 (both)
Pass Interceptions......90 (both)
Poke Check Freq. ......60 (both)
Defense Aggress. .......0 (both)

Strategies:

With Defensive Aggression to "0", now I think you can switch back to "Cautioned" for all of the even strength lines. I do "Aggressive" for PP lines and "Cautioned" for PK4 and "Stay Back" for PK3".

Dump & Chase: Very High for all lines

Fore Check: I would keep to 1-1-3 or 1-4

PK: moveable box for both

**You'd need to switch teams and set these for the CPU opponent as well.
Keep in mind, I do my house rules as well, where amongst other things, I am not constantly switching to player closest to puck. In fact, you'd want to try to control a forward so you can see the effects on your cpu teammates on defense as well.

Give them a try and see what you think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

Re: 2K10 ~ Better Defensive Play & Positioning

Experimenting more and more with these. Taking it into a season game and noticing that even though there are still some flaws with the Dmen, they are turning much more quickly to face the oncoming action. They are not chasing behind the goal in tandems either from what I can tell. Find myself pausing a lot and checking what they are doing both ways.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

Looked into this more recently. I adjusted all starting defensemen for the Flyers and Penguins and pitted them in a 7 game playoff series. If you want to experiment and give feedback about these global edits I did, just load up that series and control one of the teams (1 game has already been played). I've already set team strategies for both as well and I utilize my in-game rules (mainly not switching to control the player nearest the puck).

I'd be interested in feedback about the feel and flow of the game. It is set for 15 minute periods and I think I've been getting some decent realistic stats as well, but breakaways are always difficult to limit.

Let me know if you have any suggestions please.

note: the file is called "playoffs", so if you already have a file named that, you'll want to change it first.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PS3.zip (2.58 MB, 2 views)
Old 12-14-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
I'd be interested in feedback about the feel and flow of the game. It is set for 15 minute periods and I think I've been getting some decent realistic stats as well, but breakaways are always difficult to limit.
Tried this out tonight. I imagine other than personal preferences, you wanted all sliders and gameplay settings (ice and puck friction, etc) to be left as is? Overall I'd have to say that I didn't notice anything off in the players, I know that doesn't really help but I do feel like they were less randomly just skating around and following the puck. I did have to play smarter than I usually do. However, I would say that personally, I felt like the action was sluggish. I like to go to the side broadcast camera to get a feel for whether the speed is right or not. So I think I prefer my settings for that, and also I was probably getting to 15-17 shots per period which is a bit high. Other than that, the game felt fine but noticeably more strategically driven as I said than just skate and shoot.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

I think it could stand to have the acceleration upped for sure. The skate speed generic/general setting I think should mimic a basic skate speed and then the acceleration of course for its namesake. I also bumped up the cpu and cpu teammate aggressiveness to 12 after trying a few options there and noticed they weren't too passive. Any higher and I think the Dmen get overly aggressive behind the net and you can exploit the over-pursuit. But still looking for suggestions. The periods are set at 15 minutes, so shot totals can be high depending on how you play. Was there a final score? 1st game I won as the Flyers 6-3, but there were 2 EN goals at the end. Lost the 2nd game 3-2 in OT on a very legit goal.

I would love to try an editor for a lot more global edits to try to make the game even looser, especially in the puck control and passing departments.

Last edited by daflyboys; 12-15-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Rookie

rangers9911's Arena

OVR: 0

I’ll have to try your changes out. I’ve seen your house rules, looks very interesting. I, too, am looking forward to the editor. Last I conversed with Nike, he was writing up some tutorials on how to use it.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers9911
I’ll have to try your changes out. I’ve seen your house rules, looks very interesting. I, too, am looking forward to the editor. Last I conversed with Nike, he was writing up some tutorials on how to use it.
Well I needed to write up tutorials... Then life happened. Again. This last half year hasn't been easy. Sorry guys.

Download the NHL2K20 roster at:
http://PlayNHL.TK

Discussion: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...s-nhl2k11.html
Old 12-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Was there a final score?
There wasn't only because I wanted to give the 15 minute periods a fair shot (I play at 8 minutes) but by the end of the second period it was clear I wouldn't finish by the time I needed to be doing something else.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »