Home

Anybody play Tao Feng for XBox?

This is a discussion on Anybody play Tao Feng for XBox? within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2003, 09:17 PM   #1
MVP

funky_chicken's Arena

OVR: 37
Anybody play Tao Feng for XBox?

I was wondering if anybody played this game and what they thought of it. If you played the game say what you think about of it and is it worth a purchase?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2003, 12:49 AM   #2
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Anybody play Tao Feng for XBox?

The game isn't bad. Maybe just a little too herky-jerky for my taste, but perfect for the non-hardcore fight game players.

The animations are nicely mo-capped, but the game plays much too fast to really get to enjoy them. This results in a lack of fluid interaction between characters like the best of the genre (VF4, Soul Cal, Tekken). It plays a lot more like Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct. Lots of jumping and button mashing. It's also a little combo-happy with easy to pull off 5 or 6 hit chain attacks.

The environments and the characters themselves are beautifully rendered especially the ladies' tits (can I say "tits" in a review? ) Overall the graphics are the games strength. Alot of things to interact with in the backgrounds, almost everything is destructible. Great job here.

What I thought would be a strength; the damage system, doesn't really have that big an impact. You can't see the damage as clearly as you would like, some closeups in-between rounds would have been great. Also while having a limb damaged lowers the effectiveness of your puches or kicks, the damage is only temporary. You can use a "chi" meter to repair the damage and the meter fills up pretty quickly so by the time you work on limbs long enough to break them the opponent can simply use their chi. Ironically the damage system and chi meter system cancel each other out gameplay-wise because the limb damage makes you want to save your chi for late round limb repair and not use it for offense (you can also use the chi for "super" moves.)

The characters seem to have come from the mind of a 12 year old. Very uninspired design. There is even a KANO rip-off called the Fatalist(?). All of the fighting game cliches are present and accounted for. Very BLAH.

Overall if your looking for your fighting game to require elegant strategy and skill, Tao Feng 'aint it. If you like button mashing and blood, Tao may be the answer to your prayers. Great for two unskilled players.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:56 PM   #3
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Anybody play Tao Feng for XBox?

Quote:

I was wondering if anybody played this game and what they thought of it. If you played the game say what you think about of it and is it worth a purchase?

I purchased this game and I must say that I like it alot. Like Hmcoy stated, the graphics are stellar and the action is extremely fast and furious. There are only two things that are unlockable that I know of thus far ( a new character and a new level). Therefore, the longevity of the game mostly comes with multiplayer(the most important feature in all fighting games) and a user's need to truly master all the characters. If neither one of these things are important to you, leave TF on the shelf because extras are few and far between.

This is one of the first games I've played that seems to really punish button mashers as you move through the major game mode. In your first few battles you may get by with button mashing your way through victory, but once you get towards the last 2-3 opponents, you will get smoked if there is no method to your gameplay. The CPU gets very aggressive as you progress as they block, counter, and combo their way to many victories. I've almost broken my stick on many occassions because of this. You must LEARN to play this game in order to fully enjoy it. The game engine is about timing and if you don't have your timing down, you will get stilted and stiff animations. Hitting the right button at the right time is instrumental in getting fluid fighting animations

One great feature that this game has is an ability to save replays of your fights in vs. mode. Nothing nicer than beating up a friend and showing the whole fight to them over and over again(Up to 10 fights can be saved)

The biggest problems with the game are it's alternating camera and near impossibility to interupt a combo after the first hit connects. The camera will often alternate leaving you vulnerable to an attack. For example if you are blocking in one directon, the camera may switch making you run directly into an attack. A block button, or some signal on screen signifying a camera switch would have cancelled this problem out. I give the game 8 out of 10.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »