Home

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS3/Vita/360)

This is a discussion on Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS3/Vita/360) within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #65
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
re: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS3/Vita/360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I believe it's online co-op only.

I wouldn't say the MP is forced, but it can be difficult and a bit tedious when going solo. I got through the first 7 boss battles of the game by myself on the PSP (had no chioce since it was ad-hoc), so I know it's possible. I'd imagine it will be a whole lot easier on the consoles due to having a right stick - camera woes were probably my biggest issue with the PSP version (you had to control it with the face buttons!)

There's a few things you're going to want to do if you want to go it alone, though:

Use the radio: Obvious enough, but you'll get some helpful hints on the enemies weak points either by your team members calling you or by you calling them.

Rations, food, etc. - Have one equipped at all times, bosses can chew up your life very quickly. Also, try to develop as many different kinds as possible, because you have a limit on how much of each you can carry. The more different kinds you have, the more life recovery you'll ultimately have.

Improve your teams: Remember who you are: You're the leader of a armed group in this game, with an entire staff to back you. As you go deeper into the game, you'll be asked to assign the personnel you recover to teams. A big part of this game is using the R&D team to create new weapons and items for you. Not just new, but improved ones, too. Better rations that recover more life, for example. One other team plays a big role in your battles, and I'm going touch on that one now...

Intel Team/Support: During the big fights later in the game, you are going to run out of ammo, especially for explosive-type weapons. This is where the supply request marker is invaluable. You can carry a limited number of these into the field, and when you place one a few seconds later some ammo, rations, etc. drop from the sky. Your Intel team is what determines how many items drop, so create a good team there and you'll have a much larger ammunition supply at your disposal.

In addition, there are multiple ways to beat some of these fights, usually depending on whether you destroy the vehicle or not. If you can win the fight without destroying the vehicle, you gain control of it and can deploy it on side "outer ops" missions later in the game. For example, on the first big fight...

Spoiler

Any question, ask me - I'm far from an expert at PW, but I did at least get through most of the game (and it's not like anything in the game stopped me - I just kind of quit playing).
Would you say the PSP version is worth a purchase? I'm thinking of picking this or Portable Ops up (never played that one, either) for my trip to Florida in a couple of weeks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Would you say the PSP version is worth a purchase? I'm thinking of picking this or Portable Ops up (never played that one, either) for my trip to Florida in a couple of weeks.
Never played Portable Ops. As for Peace Walker, it was definitely worth a purchase to me on the PSP back when it first came out. IIRC, the only reason I didn't finish it was because of other big games coming out around the same time (Star Ocean 4 and Final Fantasy XIII) - it just kind of got pushed onto the back burner. I was actually going to jump back into it a few months ago and finish, but that's around the time news broke about this HD collection and that PW was involved.

I would say that if you already have this HD collection (not sure if you do or not), the only reason you might want to also get it on PSP would be the ability to transfer your game saves back and forth between the systems - I believe that this is the first PSP/PS3 game to allow that. I tried that with my old PSP file and it worked perfectly, just be aware that it's not a copy system - it deletes the file off one system when it moves to the other. No idea why they did that....

Other than that, the PS3 version blows the PSP one away. From the controls to the graphics to the framerate, everything is improved. The game is still good on the PSP, but you may not want to play it on there again after playing the HD version.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #67
The Living Legend

LivingLegend's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I would get it for PSP too. That way you can take it on the road with you and use the recruit feature as you drive around.

It's kind of funny too, for some strange reason when I used it I always got S ranked cooks in front or inside of grocery stores. And I always got S ranked med team in front of or in hospitals......

It's like the PSP knew where I was.
Chicago Blackhawks
Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #68
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30
You how they make you adjust your screen when you first boot it up? Is there a way to do this again. I screwed it up and my picture is off. Should I delete the game data?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
PSN: xxplosive1984
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/os_scoobysnax/profile
Old 11-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySnax
You how they make you adjust your screen when you first boot it up? Is there a way to do this again. I screwed it up and my picture is off. Should I delete the game data?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Should be in an option screen somewhere, each game has a video calibration screen like that. I'll fire up the game and check.

Edit: Yeah...for Peace Walker it's under Extras on the title screen. MGS2/3 only have brightness calibration screens, not screen area - PW's the only one that has that.

Last edited by bcruise; 11-10-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #70
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

I started running through MGS2 again after a few days of not playing this and crazy to think how much people **** on this game because Snake wasn't in the second half as a playable character. Raiden is not bad at all, now nowhere near badass as Snake. When I originally bought this on PS2, I never finished it as the Gamecube (yes, the Gamecube) released the same week and got occupied with that at the time.

After MGR, I'd love for Kojima to reboot this franchise starting with the original Metal Gear and get this series back on track as it kind of lost it's way with the convoluted story.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #71
Pro

Polo Bandit's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie
I started running through MGS2 again after a few days of not playing this and crazy to think how much people **** on this game because Snake wasn't in the second half as a playable character. Raiden is not bad at all, now nowhere near badass as Snake. When I originally bought this on PS2, I never finished it as the Gamecube (yes, the Gamecube) released the same week and got occupied with that at the time.

After MGR, I'd love for Kojima to reboot this franchise starting with the original Metal Gear and get this series back on track as it kind of lost it's way with the convoluted story.
I've been hoping for a 3D remake of the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 games. I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Snakes Revenge as well. Even though it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the games, it's still not that bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #72
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie

I think it was the haircut and how whiny Raiden was that threw some people off. Personally, I didn't have a problem with it and understood (somewhat) the story Kojima was trying to tell with the character.

I have these games on the PS2, so I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade just for HD.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »