Home

No Man's Sky

This is a discussion on No Man's Sky within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #169
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: No Man's Sky

That's a good point. Temperature only seems to serve as a hazard for you to navigate and as an indicator of resource availability. Would be surprised if it had any affect on a creature from topside following you into a hot cave.

Also, looks like when you leave a world your changes are erased? This game has no servers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited by mestevo; 04-12-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #170
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerForLife
I have been intrigued by this game since its original announcement and I've kept an anxious eye on it since then, reading nearly every preview and watching all of the "hands on" videos put out by various sites. But I have not yet been able to shake the "tech demo" feeling that No Man's Sky gives me.

Yes, open space and the planet surfaces are beautiful and the seamless, load-free transitions between them are awe inspiring, but there is an 'emptiness' to this game for me at this point. Is it just me, or do the various forms of animal life on all of the planets demonstrated in these previews seem completely oblivious to your avatar's presence? The game designers frequently emphasize that you are the first to set foot on these unknown planets-- so the animals there aren't frightened/curious/threatened by an entity that they've never seen before suddenly walking in their midst? Maybe I've missed this, but I have yet to see any of these creatures flee or investigate or attack the player. It's as if the wildlife serve as simple props designed to give the player the appearance of a new planet teeming with alien life, but having no real AI-driven awareness of the player's existence.

This, along with some curious scientific inconsistencies (like the planet in the latest "20 minutes of gameplay footage" video above being -164 degrees Celsius yet covered in plant and animal life that would look just as appropriate in a tropical setting), makes me question how much of a GAME world No Man's Sky is delivering, versus a TECH world...
You bring some valid points. True, I have yet to see a carnivorous creature gaze at an avatar like he's a T-Bone steak but, if the weather is hazardous to your health, then some creatures surely has to be just as dangerous. We haven't yet to see it. Except for the "centennials", or whatever they're called that protect the planet.

I pre-ordered the limited edition. I hope the game is good. I'm just excited that we get to play something different from the usual games we get. Oh, and when you guys stop on a planet that I discover, make sure you leave diamonds for tolls. I'll pick them up later when I swing by.

Not sure if any have seen GameCross's montage from the end of last year that was put together. It had a load of gameplay in it. In one sequence, the explorer shot his weapon at the planet's minerals which made the animals in the vicinity become startled and scamper away. So, there was a brief animal AI behavior displayed.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #171
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
I have been intrigued by this game since its original announcement and I've kept an anxious eye on it since then, reading nearly every preview and watching all of the "hands on" videos put out by various sites. But I have not yet been able to shake the "tech demo" feeling that No Man's Sky gives me.

Yes, open space and the planet surfaces are beautiful and the seamless, load-free transitions between them are awe inspiring, but there is an 'emptiness' to this game for me at this point. Is it just me, or do the various forms of animal life on all of the planets demonstrated in these previews seem completely oblivious to your avatar's presence? The game designers frequently emphasize that you are the first to set foot on these unknown planets-- so the animals there aren't frightened/curious/threatened by an entity that they've never seen before suddenly walking in their midst? Maybe I've missed this, but I have yet to see any of these creatures flee or investigate or attack the player. It's as if the wildlife serve as simple props designed to give the player the appearance of a new planet teeming with alien life, but having no real AI-driven awareness of the player's existence.

This, along with some curious scientific inconsistencies (like the planet in the latest "20 minutes of gameplay footage" video above being -164 degrees Celsius yet covered in plant and animal life that would look just as appropriate in a tropical setting), makes me question how much of a GAME world No Man's Sky is delivering, versus a TECH world...
You're not the only one who has noticed this but it's not that strange either. If they've never seen a human before, why would they need to be afraid of it? An example (on a much smaller scale) can be seen on Earth, in the Galapagos Islands:

Quote:
If ever there was a land on the other side of the looking glass, this is it--a stark volcanic outpost in the Pacific where the ground is mostly rock and many animals seem to lack the instinct of fear.

Here a person can still stare down a perching hawk, nearly eye to eye, walk a path through 100 dozing iguanas, or step within inches of nesting flightless cormorants. Few animals bother to budge.

But scientists are divided over why the animals greet humans without ruffling feathers or seeking safer ground.
Link

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Last edited by trobinson97; 04-12-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #172
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:

I think the tech world vs game world concern you mention is why the game was delayed. It seemed like they had the universe/planet generator down even 2 years ago and since then they've been adding the "game" on top of it.

I am extremely confident I will enjoy myself. I was hyped from the beginning, before I even saw space battles and whatnot

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

Last edited by The JareBear; 04-12-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #173
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Didn't notice it before, this is listed as a single player game on Steam.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #174
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
You're not the only one who has noticed this but it's not that strange either. If they've never seen a human before, why would they need to be afraid of it? An example (on a much smaller scale) can be seen on Earth, in the Galapagos Islands:

Link
I get what you're saying and Galapagos is an excellent earthly example. Wildlife not attacking or fleeing the player on sight in this context is plausible. But really, NO reaction whatsoever from the animals? No scattering from the touchdown of an undoubtedly loud and strange-sounding spacecraft? No long stares from them as you set foot outside said craft? No cautious but curious approach to you as they investigate the foreign creature? I realize that "fight or flight" would be a learned reaction that would take place over many encounters with humanoids, but NMS's wildlife appear to refuse to acknowledge your existence.

To me, realistic interaction with planet flora/fauna would add a huge layer of immersion, even if it's ultimately superficial.

Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth,
Ham, Lambert, Greenwood, Mean Joe, et al.

Black & Gold, baby!
Old 04-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #175
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Indie sandbox game, not expecting brilliant AI. Seems there's just more of a predator / sentry approach and most everything else is passive. Same probably applies to space combat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #176
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Honestly, the animal thing isn't that big of deal to me. The temperature thing is a little strange. But its possible alien life would adapt to the given temps. Maybe not that extreme but whatever. And the game isn't done yet so maybe things will change. Either way, I still think I will enjoy this game immensely.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »