Home

Red Dead Redemption 2

This is a discussion on Red Dead Redemption 2 within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #2785
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Lol I made it to chapter 4 and that was that. Game was painfully boring imo.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by YuNgWuN; 04-21-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #2786
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I knew from the first time I played the game that the pace and new RPG elements would limit how much I enjoyed the game. I gave it a chance--hell, I completed two play-throughs--but in the end, the game bores me. I played RDR1 7-8 times, twice to 100% completion. By the time I reached Chapter 2 I knew I was never going to reach 100% in RDR2.

The perfect pelts. Cooking and crafting. Minimal/annoying Fast Travel. Cleaning my friggin horse. Making sure I eat and sleep enough. The game is too monotonous in too many areas. I don't buy Rockstar games for this type of experience. I buy them for the nice blend of fun and a challenge that's tied together in a really good story. I don't need pedantic realism. I turned on RDR2 the other day for the first time in a couple of months when I was home sick; I shut it off in 15 minutes. Over the summer I'll give it another try.
I agree with you completely on this. I made it to Chapter 3, then I put it down for a while and decided to start it all over again with the hopes that I could get into it more. I've made it to Chapter 4 in the restart but I'm still not enjoying it much. It just feels like such a chore to play. I'll finish it but unlike other Rockstar games I'm sure I'll have no desire to ever play it again after that.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #2787
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
You only played through it twice? Lol...my goodness, you need to play through the complete story at least five or six times or you're just wasting your money

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
I never said I wasted money, though the second time through was more of a chore. I enjoyed the game but it was a disappointing sequel. I also barely play video games anymore. It's rare that I buy more than two games a year so it's not like it had much competition in the rotation.

RDR was a 10. RDR2 is a 7.5-8. The bar was high as could be.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 04-22-2019, 11:18 PM   #2788
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I've read a lot of comments about this game and I find it funny that so many people feel the need to justify why they stopped playing it. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but you don't really see that with most games that come out. It's interesting.

I honestly regret purchasing RDR2 and I don't feel like that very often. It's a very good game on a technical level, but it's boring. That's not to say that there aren't fun moments weaved throughout the game, but the grind to get to those moments just doesn't feel worth it at all. If all I wanted to do was to fish and look at pretty landscapes, this would probably be one of my favorite games of all time, but that's not what I want.

As a narrative, the way the story is put together doesn't do anything for me. There's too much conversation between characters that I care nothing about -- including the protagonist. The combat itself isn't really all that great either, at least not enough for that alone to keep my interest. I have a digital copy, so I'm sure I'll complete the game eventually, but I can definitely understand why someone wouldn't enjoy RDR2.

It doesn't have to be a matter of someone being a "kid" or having a short attention span, or whatever. It's possible for someone just to not like this game and that's okay.
I think having too much to do and no order to do it in makes it hard for some people. For me I never really had that much fun playing. I finally got to saint denis and put the game down and haven't played since. The wonky controls and everything being so slow at times get annoying. Too much miro micro managing to do to really enjoy the game imo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-23-2019, 12:51 AM   #2789
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

Not to break up all the negativity here but I had absolute blast playing it and it beat my big expectations. The only major gripe I had was I wish it would have been easier to get perfect pelts. I usually have short attention spans with games and the setting and story always keep my attention as it was a little at a time. It took me a while to finish it because I went slow on purpose and didn’t want it to end. It’s definitely one of my fav games of all time.

Last edited by georgiafan; 04-23-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #2790
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5

RdR is one of, if not my GOAT.

RdR 2 has been a great experience for me. I've been taking my time doing a little bit of everything. The game looks great, even on my OG Xbox 1 and 1080p TV. I'm enjoying the story, regardless of any shortcomings or slow-downs. I haven't been disappointed nor have I been overly gushing in amazement.

The best thing about the game could be it's biggest downfall: depending who you are and what you want/expect out of a game, the massivness could be good or bad. It's wide open nature with so much to do can be overwhelming. Personally, I only hunt as long as I feel compelled to. I only fish until I am bored. I only meander about the world randomly until I don't want to anymore. And I only play mission's until I feel the need to change it up. Truth is I can only take short, 1-2 hour sessions before I need to put it down, but that's not a bad thing IMO.

I play a few times a month, on weekends in between dad-duty, and I get the enjoyment I expect out of the game. I don't have any idea when I'll complete the story, it could be months from now and I am perfectly fine with that. For me, if I tried to rush this game or play it everyday and complete every challenge etc, I would almost definitely get burnt out like some of you have said.

There are certainly two sides of the coin on this game (every game, really), and I understand the wide range of view points. Could be the greatest game ever, a boring chore or anything and everything in between.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #2791
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

I wonder how many people who didn't finish it never figured out you could put your horse on auto-pilot and make those long rides a little more bearable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #2792
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Holding down the A button in Cinematic Mode for 8-10 minutes was less appealing to me.

It also makes the ride longer since your horse moves at a more leisurely pace in Cinematic Mode, unless I've been doing it wrong. Plus your horse stays on the beaten path so it will take longer; taking shortcuts across a prairie can save a ton of time not to mention that's how you run into random areas and structures, which is one of the best aspects of the game.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »