Home

***The Official OOTP Thread***

This is a discussion on ***The Official OOTP Thread*** within the OOTP Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #801
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: ***The Official OOTP Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
This "stats only" thing sounds pretty interesting.

How does it translate to the draft? Is it pretty easy to still tell who the #1 guy in the draft is for instance, or would you just rely on the OSA to tell you that?
Don't ever trust OSA, hire a great scout and trust them. I usually shorten the draft to about 20 rounds after couple of years.

What I do is turn on current and potential ratings scale just for the draft and sort by potential. Reading the scouting report is very important, you can get a sense where the player is supposed to go in the draft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #802
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobalt
Don't ever trust OSA, hire a great scout and trust them. I usually shorten the draft to about 20 rounds after couple of years.

What I do is turn on current and potential ratings scale just for the draft and sort by potential. Reading the scouting report is very important, you can get a sense where the player is supposed to go in the draft.
Yep I compare what they both say but usually lean far to what the scout says.

Also:

Ok another question. In my 1985 Franchise I have "Can't Be Fired" on because it's one I'm really using to learn the game better.

Are you guys doing that or not.
About to create my Current League and not sure if I want to chance getting fired.
I know that's "real" but ...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 03-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #803
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Yep I compare what they both say but usually lean far to what the scout says.

Also:

Ok another question. In my 1985 Franchise I have "Can't Be Fired" on because it's one I'm really using to learn the game better.

Are you guys doing that or not.
About to create my Current League and not sure if I want to chance getting fired.
I know that's "real" but ...
I usually leave that box unchecked. If you are in Commissioner mode you can toggle it on/off at any time so you are free to change your mind if you think you might get fired. You can also toggle on/off being in Commissioner mode itself if you don't want to use that except for "emergency" situations.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #804
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
This "stats only" thing sounds pretty interesting.

How does it translate to the draft? Is it pretty easy to still tell who the #1 guy in the draft is for instance, or would you just rely on the OSA to tell you that?
A few things...

1. All of the draft eligible players have high school/college stats, so they are there for you to look at if you are firmly stats only in every possible way. There is also a "competition level" specified so you can differentiate a little bit between guys batting .500 against good competition and guys batting .500 against crap competition. It's tough going by just those stats with so many players, because a lot of them will put up comically high numbers. If someone hit .450 in high school, who cares? Doesn't tell you much. But, you could just ask your scout who to pick while keeping ratings off if you want.

2. I agree with using potential and scouting info in the draft. I think that makes it more enjoyable. You can turn ratings on just for the draft, but crank scouting all the way to very low or put a lower emphasis on ratings in the AI evaluation. That way you still get a good deal of uncertainty if you want it. If you want to know exactly who the best player is, hire a good scout, turn scouting accuracy to max, and make AI evaluation all about ratings. Also pay attention to exactly how positive the scouting report is--there are different levels of effusive praise.

3. Another piece of info that can be pretty helpful is going by the player's draft bonus expectation. Usually the guys asking for a $6-8MM bonus are the very top guys. It can be misleading though so best to use it as a supplementary thing rather than the only thing. You can also get some good deals if you play your cards right. The bonus amount they're asking for + amateur stats + competition level + scouting report when used together can give you a basis for doing a stats only amateur draft.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:59 AM   #805
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Wow, I'm impressed! Was playing a game at Fenway down 2-0 in the top of the 6th manage to score a run and shut them down. Go into the 7th Price is out and....rain and rain and rain and the game is called and I lose 2-1 in the top of the 7th one pitch into it.

Coming from The Show this was unexpected and phenomenal. Obviously the loss hurts, but I was surprised and pleased to see that outcome.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #806
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
A few things...

1. All of the draft eligible players have high school/college stats, so they are there for you to look at if you are firmly stats only in every possible way. There is also a "competition level" specified so you can differentiate a little bit between guys batting .500 against good competition and guys batting .500 against crap competition. It's tough going by just those stats with so many players, because a lot of them will put up comically high numbers. If someone hit .450 in high school, who cares? Doesn't tell you much. But, you could just ask your scout who to pick while keeping ratings off if you want.

2. I agree with using potential and scouting info in the draft. I think that makes it more enjoyable. You can turn ratings on just for the draft, but crank scouting all the way to very low or put a lower emphasis on ratings in the AI evaluation. That way you still get a good deal of uncertainty if you want it. If you want to know exactly who the best player is, hire a good scout, turn scouting accuracy to max, and make AI evaluation all about ratings. Also pay attention to exactly how positive the scouting report is--there are different levels of effusive praise.

3. Another piece of info that can be pretty helpful is going by the player's draft bonus expectation. Usually the guys asking for a $6-8MM bonus are the very top guys. It can be misleading though so best to use it as a supplementary thing rather than the only thing. You can also get some good deals if you play your cards right. The bonus amount they're asking for + amateur stats + competition level + scouting report when used together can give you a basis for doing a stats only amateur draft.
Appreciate all of that info!

I like the idea of uncertainty. It would be nice to get 1st round busts but then sign a 12th round stud.

Pre-ordered on Steam. Can't wait for Friday.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #807
Pro

notsobabybombers's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Wow, I'm impressed! Was playing a game at Fenway down 2-0 in the top of the 6th manage to score a run and shut them down. Go into the 7th Price is out and....rain and rain and rain and the game is called and I lose 2-1 in the top of the 7th one pitch into it.

Coming from The Show this was unexpected and phenomenal. Obviously the loss hurts, but I was surprised and pleased to see that outcome.
This happened to me too and it's a fun addition. In my case, it worked in my favor, as I won the game. (Felt like a cheap win though )
Old 03-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #808
Pro

OVR: 5

still can't play always freezes up on me!!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball »