Home

Have Sports Gaming Controls Become Too Complicated for Their Own Good?

This is a discussion on Have Sports Gaming Controls Become Too Complicated for Their Own Good? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 49
And people wonder why we get poor quality games like Madden every year.

Despite the fact there is NBA Jam for casual players, despite the fact there are game sliders and difficulty settings....despite the fact there is a ps move if you really want to get basic, people are always going to assk for simpler controlls. My advice to game devs is to make one sim like game and one arcade title. mixing the two is a horrible idea and will not give you best sales. EA should come out with a new sim football game and let madden be a casual title(just like it is now).

I am getting close to 40 myself and my fingers seam to work just fine. If the day comes where sport games are too complicated for me I will just play the arcade versions or move on. I simply wont expect real gamers to sufer because my fingers dont work like the average gamer. The gaming industry shouldnt evolve around me, and unlike most, I dont expect it to.

Try NFL Blitz its exactly what you are asking for. Try nba 2k on casual mode with shot stick turned off and real % turned on. Turn the mode to "casual". I dont think a game can be any more "casual" friendly then the 2k series if you take the time to look at the option menue. The game can get ultra easy on controlls, and be adjusted to any difficulty you feel comfortable with. How much more casual can it really get? To suggest a 2 button controll system is absolutely crazy. You realize the current controller layout is no more difficult then the 80's sega genesis? There only controllers that were more simple were the nintendo 2 button, atari, colleco vision, and some pc joysticks.....tell me that isnt what your suggestion is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
Banned

mlb the show also has a cusual mode. one button pitching, one button batting and automatic fielding if you want. how much easier and basic can it get?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 19
I like the complex controls, cause it takes practice to master them.
which is what sports is all about in the first place.
To pull off a killer crossover in basketball should be cahllenging and require practice. I personally dont think age has anything to do with stick skills. 30 and 40 year olds shouldnt be an excuse.

Ill use 2k basketball as an example
I have yet to master any complex moves in 2k, but Im really ok by this. cause it really differentiates play styles against competitors
folks would grow tired and bored if everyone could pull off the same moves in a game.

Im all for the complex controls but make the option for a simple control scheme.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 0
I could not agree more......Heck Madden QB's don't give you, your own play clock to pick defense of plays, they really need to go simple....And am sorry if am stepping on any of you sport Guru's..That claim you can move 4 players & run through defense on the d-pad til you find your play, B4 Rogers hick's the ball. Maybe it's just Old Azz me....lol
Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
Great write up. I hate that gamers want the controls to be too complicated. They think this makes the game more challenging. I find it ridiculous because the gameplay should dictate the realism or way a player play. You should be able to do or not do something with in game tools.

A player shouldn't have to use the controller like a combination lock to do a move.
I'm torn between the two to be honest... Well maybe 70-30 towards simplifying or more simple controls. Some games need the controls to be somewhat complicated in order to pull off "moves" though.

UFC titles need the complication for the user to be able to use all of the moves in a characters arsenal...
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #30
Banned

Re: Have Sports Gaming Controls Become Too Complicated for Their Own Good?

What I dont understand is these games dont require you to learn every move. Its your choice. These games can be played with simple controlls, and is still fun. You can even win against people who know all the moves with the basic controlls.......so I dont understand the complaining.

I hope the devs just replicate what they see in that sport and not what people are asking for. Thats the issue thats causing games to not have direction. just make the sport like the sport actually plays...make a arcade game for those that want that. The two cant be combined it wont work.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 0
Location: in a myriad of lies and half truths searching for enjoyment
I would have to strongly dis agree controls as a whole aren't too complicated, we all have this notion that we SHOULD be able to pick up any game and play it against great competition with great results, I don't believe that can be expected. what i believe will work in most cases is control options, 3 (1. casuals 2. intermediates 3. experts/hardcore) in a perfect world on for beginners/casuals that allow you to pull of the basics and a few highlight type plays without overwhelming the user with all the move choices and complex input combinations in a small window but this type of control set will be limited inn its scope so that you will not be able to pull of more complex moves and it will add incentive (a reason) for you to go deeper into the game and learn a more complex control set in essence moving games from the casual to the more hardcore. While the hardcore controls can be just that hardcore wit deep nuance, and multiple button press execution because as a hardcore gamer I believe TOTAL CONTROL is paramount
(most important) if i am going to get run over, dunked on, deke'd etc let it happen because I made a wrong decision or was lax or late in my execution. Tats why I don't believe you can meet casuals and hard cores in the middle for controls we want 2 different things as a hardcore gamer i want timing, precise execution and variety in the options i have available to finish a play and i have no problem dedicating my time to see it achieved (i.e like training to become better in real sports but in video games it happens at a much more accelerated rate, in essence one of the reasons we play them vs getting better at real sports) and the casual gamer i assume wants to be able to pick up and play have fun and from a control standpoint have a few go to buttons that will give him varying successes and varying outcomes, while not overwhelming and still giving him enjoyment. For me sports game ave to do a better good at catering to the extremes and giving the customization to turn on and off features for each extreme (hardcore vs casual) it will allow us to find our individual middle ground, but hey that just one guys opinion...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
I think they kind of have. I saw the new Show batting system, and there's no way I could move the left stick for zone hitting while also timing a stride and swing with the right stick.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »