Home

Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games

This is a discussion on Why Motion Controls Will Never Be the Focus of Hardcore Sports Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #9
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30
It could work in a Be A Pro mode where you are only controlling one player.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
I agree with both articals. I don't think it's motion control versus traditional controls. I think they can both be used. I agree that when it comes to a normal basketball or football game you just can't fully play with only motion control. In those games you are switching from player to player and it just wouldn't work. But it could work in a mode like my player or superstar mode when you only control one player. With the kinect and move they could put you in a a qb or something. With the kinect it tracts you movement going forward or back and side to side. Also the kinect would work great in RPGs. Instead of chosing somthing to say you could just say something. Although I want to keep playing my hard core sports and FPS games with a controler on the couch you can still see possibilities to use motion control in more than just a mini game.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Traditional sports games just won't work as well with motion control. I have no interest in motion based sports games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 11
I don't disagree with your post, but I'd say this, don't be too short sided, all it takes is one idea, that hasn't been realized by anyone else. Just dismissing it, might put egg on your face. Tech moves too fast these days, you didn't think your cellphone would become so essential in everyday life, did you? So don't think for a second that somebody out there already hasn't got a comfortable combination of the motion and controller. Don't wait until they display it, expect that it CAN happen. Wii Madden passing is very fun, thats the easiest way to explain that its almost there. Hardcore just means you play 5-12 hours a day, instead of 1-3, it doesn't mean somehow that you WON'T play a video game because of motion controls. it means, you are USED to the ten buttons and two analog sticks. Some are used to the genesis with 3 buttons, Tech moves fast.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3
I'm playing on the new motion device. It's called my new hand-held controller!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 7
I think there is an opportunity for Move and Kinnect in sports games. They're just too much fun (well I only know Move, but think that Kinnect has to be equivalent).

The limitation is how exhausting playing the game would be. At 120 plays a game, the average couch potato would be shot. And unable to play the next game.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2
couldn't agree more. you cannot get sim games out of the current motion tech. impossible. also, i know guys who go through an nfl season in madden in days. couldn,t happen with motion controls. there are some great uses for motion controls but sports gaming beyond golf or tennis is not one of them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2010, 01:09 AM   #16
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6
I agree with aspects from both sides of this. Motion control is a good way to get involved in some types of gaming and to have fun with family and friends, but for hardcore sports gamers, this can be a hassle unless it's boxing, golf, bowling, tennis, and maybe some aspects of baseball. Motion control can possibly find a niche in the major sports in mini-game form. For that to happen though, accuracy in replicating the motion from the user to on the screen needs vast improvement. As technologically sound as the current motion capture systems are, they are just not feasible for the casual gamer in terms of cost and equipment needed (high-quality digital cameras and a tight spandex/neoprene suit with reference points on the joints that are different than the background).

Unfortunately, as it stands, motion-based gaming is best served right now is to solidify its motion capture system technology, to work out as many of the bugs and glitches the system has, and to refine the coding as much as possibly on the current market for games before trying to move into the hardcore sports market. Even then, it should start slowly through a mini-game platform and gain perceptible results before entering into the mainstream portion of hardcore sports games.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »