Home

You know what really grinds my gears?

This is a discussion on You know what really grinds my gears? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #23041
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: You know what really grinds my gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlNachos
Sirius XMs has stations dedicated to each decade and they still manage to only play the same 20 songs
Kind of like how SyFy only seems to show a subset of movies over and over again, many of which I wouldn't even consider Sci-Fi. They used to show so many different movies over the weekend that I was always checking the listings to see if anything caught my interest, but now I don't even bother.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #23042
All Star

OVR: 13

Burgh's post above reminded me of a gear-grinder, which I may or may not have already complained about in this thread before: channel drift (aka network decay).

Everyone knows what this is (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_drift) but it's the "MTV effect" basically. Travel channel converting to TRVL and all-paranormal, all-the-time is the latest example I can think of. Horrible.

Totally grinds my gears, too.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #23043

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Burgh's post above reminded me of a gear-grinder, which I may or may not have already complained about in this thread before: channel drift (aka network decay).

Everyone knows what this is (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_drift) but it's the "MTV effect" basically. Travel channel converting to TRVL and all-paranormal, all-the-time is the latest example I can think of. Horrible.

Totally grinds my gears, too.
Not just channels, even food places do this too.

Pizza places now sell sandwiches, pastas, fries, wings, desserts, you name it.

And companies who specialize in a specific kind of product also try making products in different fields. You known for making TVs? Let's try making phones, power tools, lawn mowers too.

But TV as a whole, outside of live sports, is there anything else which needs to be watched right away? People can just record stuff or watch on demand the next day, the channel really doesn't matter anymore. Channel loyalty isn't really a thing anymore. I cant name a specific channel I watch many(meaning more than 3) shows of, it's all scattered all over the place.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #23044
All Star

True, but there isn't a whole lot of travel-related programming these days, and it was nice having a channel dedicated to it (even if the programs were only somewhat related to travel). Now, more than ever, I could use some good ol' fashioned vicarious travel programming.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:38 PM   #23045
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghFan
Kind of like how SyFy only seems to show a subset of movies over and over again, many of which I wouldn't even consider Sci-Fi. They used to show so many different movies over the weekend that I was always checking the listings to see if anything caught my interest, but now I don't even bother.

Certain movies, mainly stuff like Ocean's 11 use to be on cable so much you could set your watch to them.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2021, 02:11 AM   #23046
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Yeah History channel is the best example, but I can't complain because I like their programming better now
Old 02-09-2021, 01:56 PM   #23047
All Star

At least most of History channel's programming still has some tenuous connection with Americana or history (however peripheral), even if loosely defined. Ghost Hunters has nothing to do with travel programming whatsoever.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:22 PM   #23048

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
At least most of History channel's programming still has some tenuous connection with Americana or history (however peripheral), even if loosely defined. Ghost Hunters has nothing to do with travel programming whatsoever.
Agreed, I was surprised to see History brought up because I watch it pretty regularly (especially now that Travel channel has changed what they are) and haven't noticed a difference and generally enjoy their content.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »