Home

OS Book Club Pt II

This is a discussion on OS Book Club Pt II within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #1025
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: OS Book Club Pt II

A Gathering of Shadows by VE Schwab

This felt more like a collection of developments than any actual plotting. The first three quarters of the book is paced by the characters and their relationships while also preparing for a magic dueling tournament. There's also the evil brooding unseen and preparing a plan which doesn't come about until the last fifteen pages. As such this ends on a legitimate cliffhanger and feels like Part 1 rather than a standalone book.

With that said I enjoyed this just as much as first, but found it be a more rewarding and more developed read than the initial entry to the trilogy. More characters are introduced (Alucard Emery is amazing) and fleshed completely out while also exploring different parts of the world via the tournament that is being held in Red London. Delilah Bard is a complete BAMF in this and her character has been such a great thread to follow throughout the two books.

Not a whole bunch to say on this without diving into spoiler territory (which apparently is a touchy subject lately), but it's a highly enjoyable, entertaining read. Schwab builds and improves upon A Darker Shade of Magic by fleshing out her unique universe, developing a wider cast of characters, as well as continuing to develop Kell and Delilah in fascinating ways. Her writing itself continues to improve which has me even more hopeful for her other series, Villains. I would recommend to have A Conjuring of Light close by since you will want to jump into that immediately after finishing up A Gather of Shadows. Cliffhanger or not it is ultimately a satisfactory read and one I would easily recommend.

Spoiler

I may have to revise my reading goal for the year since I'm already 4 books in. I want to start A Conjuring of Light, but I know I won't finish it by Friday. Instead I'll spend more time with James Baldwin (roughly 1/3 of the way through) before picking up Kindred by Octavia Butler.

Marlon James' Black Leopard, Red Wolf comes out next Tuesday and I'm excited for that since it is getting a lot of positive reviews. I need to pick up Singin' and Swingin' and Gettin' Merry Like Christmas as well as the Malcolm X autobiography to round out my February selections.

Last edited by Fresh Tendrils; 01-30-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2019, 09:36 PM   #1026
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Sex, Drugs, Ratt & Roll: My Life In Rock - Stephen Pearcy autobiography.

As a still big fan of 80's hair metal, I had to pick this up for $2 when I saw it in the used book store. Man, this was a depressing read. Pearcy never really grew up/matured from 16. When a near 60-year-old is using "strange" and "trim" to describe female anatomy to a therapist, it's just sad to see a man stuck in a time warp.

It's not all bad, though. His determination to make himself and Ratt stars is admirable; you just wish he would've kept pushing to evolve as a person and his band.

The 80's were a crazy time and his stories are raunchy and detailed, so fans will get a kick out of them and hearing the tales of making the first few albums are worth reading. Unfortunately for Pearcy, sex and drugs became more important than the music, and his - and Ratt's- long-term careers suffered. Pearcy was still battling addiction in late 2018.

Some inspiring moments, but a cautionary tale overall.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 02-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #1027
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Finished these at the end of January...

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling

Spoiler

Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom by Sylvia Plath

Spoiler

My first two BHM month books (making Douglass his own post):

We Cast A Shadow by Maurice Carlos Ruffin

Spoiler

Magical Negro by Morgan Parker

Spoiler
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #1028
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom by David W. Blight

Double disclaimer: #1 The only other book I've read that really compares directly to this as far as sheer comprehensiveness is the biography on FDR I read in late 2016, by the end of which I was pretty sure I knew everything about anyone he'd ever come into contact with. All this to say, it's insane how much stuff is being sifted through here to recreate these historical lives. Speeches and published works? Of course. Letters to other historical figures? Sure I guess. Letters to family, friends, acquaintances, colleagues, enemies? Eh. Diary entries...It just makes you think the biography of the 50th president written 200 years from now (assuming we make it that long as humans) will have a passage like "He often liked to pass time in his youth by taking part in the classic pasttime of underage drinking. "Can't w8 to get hammered" was a frequent text found in his phone records." Obviously they're all long dead but you have to realize how much of our lives we chronicle already online and how that will affect the way research is done in the future. #2 is more a personal thing. Any interpretation of history is going to have influence of the writer even if it's only because of the facts they choose to add or omit, but I'm interested in how political views change the way historical figures are championed. There was a lot in here about how much of what Douglass said is taken out of context to push certain agendas, so I kinda want to read something from the other side just to see their take on my guy. Anyway...

Spoiler

This one took me forever so I've got a little BHM backlog to get through, just going to keep going through this month. Need to finish Source of Self Regard by Toni Morrison, then I'll figure the next few out. Probably American Spy, An Orchestra of Minorities, then Harry Potter 6, then Black Leopard Red Wolf. They all fit the theme of 2019 books anyway, outside of HP, so it works out. Might take a month off and read some super old stuff at one point though, like Enlightenment philosophy old. Getting that itch.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #1029

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

I completely died in February and didn't even get close to what I wanted to read. Malcolm's autobiography came in a couple days ago, but I 'm halfway done with Maya Angelou's third book from her memoir series which I've been "reading" for two weeks now.

Trying to juggle more than one hobby at a time is nearly impossible during the week. I've been reading/studying music theory and practicing guitar fairly heavily over the last 3-4 weeks and unfortunately that cuts into my reading time during the week.

Anyway, once I finish with Maya I'll do a combo post with Octavia Butler's Kindred which was amazing.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #1030

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Finished these at the end of January...

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling

Spoiler
If Rowling's intention was to set out and create an ultimately "good" character that is completely unlikable then Snape is surely a success. Personally, the character isn't aging well. He's a clear red herring throughout the series as he stands in for antagonists in each book. My problem with this is it's hard to pivot from that and redeem him in any significant way as a likable character. As such it's hard to feel any sympathy for his situation and much less when you factor in how horrible he is to all students that aren't Slytherin. Not to mention the unrequited pining for a woman who has been dead for 11+ years and is dead partly because of him always comes off as creepy to me. Dude is just a grade A asshat that is cornered into doing Dumbledore's work.

And yet, ****ing Umbridge. **** that bitch. The detention scene with Harry is still uncomfortable as hell to read for me.

Also, I can't really fault kids for not talking about their emotions. Adults refrain from doing the same thing and lack of or miscommunication is the crux of conflicts in most narratives.
Quote:

We Cast A Shadow by Maurice Carlos Ruffin

Spoiler

This sounds powerful. Thanks for the post.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:08 PM   #1031
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

She just needed to turn his petty down from a 10 to like a 6 or 7. Taking your childhood bullying out on your bullys kid years later is so extra. Or just leave it out of his teaching, taking points away from other kids, ignoring Hermione, it's too much. He can still be an enemy in some sense without being a complete *******.

Uncomfortable is the word for Umbridge for sure. Even the way she's described as wearing bright clothes and constantly smiling is disconcerting. She's just creepy all around, her getting dragged into the forest was as close as I've come to actually yelling out in excitement reading a book lol.

Agreed on the kids thing, I don't fault them for it, it can just be painful to read. Adults I have more of a line, like watching TV, some shows can have a conversation and they're saying everything except the one thing you want to hear and it's still entertaining vs others just shrugging stuff off. That's more a quality issue though, bad books are generally gonna have bad dialogue.

We Cast A Shadow is worth it just for the way its written, such a compelling read. Being in the first person allows for a lot of self reflection. You already know how I feel about Invisible Man, so if I'm comparing it to that I'm not doing it lightly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #1032

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

Kindred - Octavia Butler

The more I thought about it the more I realized this need it's own post because it's that good.

The premise is certainly outlandish. Dana, a black woman married to a white man in 1970s LA, travels back to a slave plantation around Maryland/NOVA in the 1820s. The book follows her as she involuntarily travels between both time-periods. Her purpose appears to be to act as protector to the son of the plantation's owner who is also her great, great, great, great... grandfather.

A fairly compelling premise to begin with, but Butler takes that compelling idea and drives it further by developing and exploring themes that are just as compelling. Lack of control over one's destiny and body. Reconciling past to present - both for the country and the characters involved. The ease and guilt of submission and dominance. Butler explores all of these themes (and more) deftly and subtly. She never directly addresses any of them, but builds them through her characters and their relationships.

The theme that stuck to me the most was the lack of control. Dana's ability to time-travel would come on like a dizzy spell. The room would spin, she would lose focus, and then be transported either to present day or at some point during her great-grandfather's life. Each dizzy spell an alarm for anxiety induced panic. What situation will she find herself in? What danger will greet her? Not only does she exhibit no control over this ability, but she exhibits no control over herself when back on the plantation which is almost suffocating in it's omnipresent, anxiously threatening danger clouding over the edges of each page. Each spell offers an array of possibilities and all of them are colored morbid at the thought of being put into harm's way. Despite her seemingly lack of control Dana survives as best as she can. As a slave she learns quickly for the sake of her health. She learns pride is a target for abuse and hurt and swallows it to survive.

To help her is a cast of characters that offers glimpses into a deeper part of Dana's character or as a looking glass to our bloody past and how it boils to the surface in our present day. As Rufus ages so too do the slaves on his plantation and Dana witnesses the cyclical nature of oppression. Children growing up accustomed to abuse, being dragged from their mothers, watching their fathers beaten or killed, and the children themselves growing up to either fill the roles they were born to fill or be sold away at the mercy of their master. Each slave waging a series of battles internal and external to survive and maintain some semblances of human dignity and pride.

At the center of it all is Rufus whom we first meet as a child unable to breath on the bank of a river. Early on there is the possibility of redemption in his age of innocence. Dana herself believes initially she can persuade him to be a more gentle, loving slave owner. As Rufus ages his innocence gives way for his true nature of being manipulative, selfish, greedy, abusive, and unrepentant unless it affected him directly.

Yet, Dana must reconcile this past to her present because without it she would not exist as she knows it today. How is one supposed to feel when their destiny and creation was (and is) controlled by outside forces that are often-times bloody and mentally degrading. It's a nature of complexity both in acknowledging the terrible past that made today possible, but also being grateful today's present.

All in all a fantastic read that is rich and offers plenty of depth for deep dives and analysis. The book that kept coming back to me while reading this was Beloved by Toni Morrison. That too deals with lack of control and how one tries to take control over themselves and their loved ones any way they can.

Spoiler

As I said previously I'm working through Maya Angelou's Singin', Swingin', and Getting Merry Like Christmas with Malcolm X's autobiography on deck. The Baldwin collection is still in rotation as well.

Last edited by Fresh Tendrils; 03-01-2019 at 02:44 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »