Home

Uncommon Opinions

This is a discussion on Uncommon Opinions within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #8041
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Uncommon Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Probably not as uncommon opinion as I think, but misleading ads should be banned.

I remember they've already banned food companies from doing certain things to food when using them in ads(iirc, groceries used to do it, photoshopping or painting fruits and vegetables to look unrealistically good). But theres still ads out there which clearly have special effects or some trick camera work to make their products look better than it is.

Video games especially, their trailers are always these super shots with best graphics and motion captures ever. Shots that we dont ever see in the game itself. They should only be allowed to use actual gameplay footage, NOT cutscenes.
I think I've rarely gotten something from fast-food that looked like its advert counterpart. except maybe fries lol

Video game ads are so unrealistic I dont even trust 'em.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2019, 06:24 PM   #8042
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I used to think advertisers could do whatever they wanted with their own product except call out other competing companies/products. Then I found out that they can do that as well, as I've seen in a few commercials.

As far as the video game thing, normally they provide disclaimers, like when it is/isn't actual in-game footage.

My favorite is car commercials, advertising specs on a car that you couldn't legally do on the road if you so desired.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-04-2019, 11:24 PM   #8043
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Probably not as uncommon opinion as I think, but misleading ads should be banned.

I remember they've already banned food companies from doing certain things to food when using them in ads(iirc, groceries used to do it, photoshopping or painting fruits and vegetables to look unrealistically good). But theres still ads out there which clearly have special effects or some trick camera work to make their products look better than it is.

Video games especially, their trailers are always these super shots with best graphics and motion captures ever. Shots that we dont ever see in the game itself. They should only be allowed to use actual gameplay footage, NOT cutscenes.
I mean...an ad's job is to make you want the product.

This isn't to defend any in particular; as Caulfield said, I don't think I've ever gotten food that looked as good as in the ad but we also have to be aware of that as consumers by now.

I just take ads as an idea of what to expect from a product, not an exact depiction of what I'll get.

Last edited by SmashMan; 08-05-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #8044

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I used to think advertisers could do whatever they wanted with their own product except call out other competing companies/products. Then I found out that they can do that as well, as I've seen in a few commercials.

As far as the video game thing, normally they provide disclaimers, like when it is/isn't actual in-game footage.

My favorite is car commercials, advertising specs on a car that you couldn't legally do on the road if you so desired.
It's always funny when companies do directly take shots at competitors. Usually its just "Us vs The Leading Competitor", but other times they directly mention the company by name.

And let's face it, nobody reads disclaimers lol.

Car commercials are almost always the same. Their car with best paint job and shine ever, driving down some open road, or randomly in a forest or something like that.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:59 AM   #8045
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
[L]et's face it, nobody reads disclaimers lol.

Car commercials are almost always the same. Their car with best paint job and shine ever, driving down some open road, or randomly in a forest or something like that.
Car cruising on an empty downtown street. Small disclaimer at the bottom of the screen reads:

"Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt."
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #8046
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Maj apparently wants to see a bunch of greasy customers eating at McDonald's and a Camry locked in downtown traffic screaming at the drivers around them. Maybe he feels under represented?

Old 08-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #8047
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Car cruising on an empty downtown street. Small disclaimer at the bottom of the screen reads:

"Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt."
I always just take those as "suggestions ".

A Work in Progress
Old 08-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #8048

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

MLB jerseys should be changed. Ditch the grey roads (with exceptions like Yankees)

Team colours/alternates for home games, and whites for away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »