Home

Official OS BBQ/Grilling Thread

This is a discussion on Official OS BBQ/Grilling Thread within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #65
True.

Chef Matt's Arena

OVR: 44
re: Official OS BBQ/Grilling Thread

It's actually spring weather here already I just haven't had the time to get out and cook. Been puttin in 55-60hr weeks. We've been getting 2-3 new catering requests per week. I've never seen a Jan-Feb so busy.

I do have about 10 pounds of choice 12oz NY's sitting on the top shelf of my fridge waiting to hit the coals. I've been savin them. A buddy of mine is coming over next Wednesday to put up a ceiling fan for our bedroom. I'ma hook him up with one as "payment".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #66
True.

Chef Matt's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Is it even possible to smoke food on a propane/gas grill?
Yeah, soak some woodchips, place em in a foil pouch. Place over the fire. Set your meat for indirect grilling off to the side. Smoke away! Not optimal but works when no other options are there.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #67
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Matt
I do have about 10 pounds of choice 12oz NY's sitting on the top shelf of my fridge waiting to hit the coals.
I have a great idea of what you can do with those.

Get some dry ice, pack them in a Styrofoam cooler and ship them TO ME!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #68
All Star

Holic's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
I love my grill. It is THEE best Ive ever had. Personally, I dont care for Webers or Gas Grills. They are OK in a pinch, but I can do so much more with my BYCP. I literally can Grill, Smoke, Bake, Sautee and Boil.
I see no reason why you can't do everything you listed here on a Weber. Want to smoke on it? For $50 you can turn any 22'' Weber into a smoker with the Smokenator. Will it hold temps for 12+ hours like my Weber Smokey Mountain? Nope but does a pretty good job. Also, Weber customer service is second to none. Had a slight issue with a vent on my smoker, 2 days later I had a new bottom pieace with 3 replacement vents. That's A-OK in my book. Would highly recommend them to anybody. They went way beyond what was needed here, a simple vent kit would've worked but instead I got a whole new bottom.

100% agree with you on gas grills, waste of space if you ask me. Sure it's good in a pinch when you want something grilled quick but within 15-20 minutes I can have my charcoal grill up to 450+ degrees and ready to go.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #69
All Star

Holic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
For Smoking I took a cheap electric smoker and modified it to preform much better and converted it to charcoal.

I am at work.

But this is the exact unit. Really cheap. Just removed the electronics. Place a stainless rack at the bottom. Excellent unit that maintains temp for hours and hours.

I then installed a high quality thermometer such as this, right where the rack is. To give the most accurate temp reading.

Then installed some fiber glass rope. Like what is around your oven door to seal the lid good and tight. It does not burn so it will last the life of the smoker.

Nothing beats a good water smoker.

Now for my BBQ pit, I had a decent unit that was 10 years old or so and the bottom finally gave way. I went out and got the small 18" Weber. Thing is built like a tank, I can't do a bunch of stuff at once but I can see it lasting forever. Size was important here because I wanted something that did not take up as much room as my last pit.

LOL, years back I started with the same exact smoker except it was green. I did a few mods to it before scrapping it for Weber Smokey Mountain. It was sure worth it. Don't get me wrong though, the Brinkmann turned out some great BBQ but was just way too much work.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #70
All Star

Holic's Arena

Anyone ever try electric? I stumbled across a damaged box deal at Lowe's for $49 ($199 regularly) and bought it. Turned out some good BBQ but sold it after a few smokes and made myself $109. Here is 2 9lb boston butts at 12 hours.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #71
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

All this good looking food...

I'm keeping track of who's in both this thread and the Fitness thread, lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #72
100 Miles To Go

Curahee's Arena

OVR: 42