Home

2018 Fitness Challenge

This is a discussion on 2018 Fitness Challenge within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #49
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: 2018 Fitness Challenge

Hi guys

Last summer ( July 2017 ) I was at my heaviest weight of 220. I'm 6'1 also. I made the desceion that day to never go back to that weight so started eating healthy cutting out all junk food and soda and getting back to walking and running regularly.

Fast forward to today I'm now 185 and gone from a jean waist size of 38 to 32. The one thing in my diet I know is lacking is protein. I eat a lot of eggs but just don't like a lot Of protein foods.

I see there is the power you can make shakes from but just don't know a lot about them. Do you add fruit to them and make them a smoothie

I'm not really a gym rat but have noticed a lot of extra skin around my belly I want to tighten up.

Any of you guys that workout I'd love your thoughts

Jeremy
Old 03-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #50
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyB
Hi guys

Last summer ( July 2017 ) I was at my heaviest weight of 220. I'm 6'1 also. I made the desceion that day to never go back to that weight so started eating healthy cutting out all junk food and soda and getting back to walking and running regularly.

Fast forward to today I'm now 185 and gone from a jean waist size of 38 to 32. The one thing in my diet I know is lacking is protein. I eat a lot of eggs but just don't like a lot Of protein foods.

I see there is the power you can make shakes from but just don't know a lot about them. Do you add fruit to them and make them a smoothie

I'm not really a gym rat but have noticed a lot of extra skin around my belly I want to tighten up.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy

You're doing great eating lots of eggs. From what I've read, eggs are one of the best sources of protein.

Google "protein shake recipes" - you'll find a ton of delicious shakes. I think a lot of people like to use vanilla or chocolate flavored protein powder and add a spoon of peanut butter. You will have to experiment to find your favorite flavor combos. Just be aware that protein shakes may upset your stomach. They do mine - I rarely drink them. I get my protein from eggs mostly but also beef and chicken. I really do think you're on the right track with eggs, just add a protein shake and you should be good if you're thinking you're falling short on protein.

Also, frozen blueberries or strawberries are great in a shake - just make sure the fruit doesn't have added sugar. Some frozen fruit has a ton of sugar - probably best to buy fresh fruit and freeze it. Frozen blueberries with vanilla protein powder and half a frozen banana is pretty darn tasty. Buy a few bananas, peel them, cut them in half, put them in baggies and throw them in the freezer.

Does anyone know of a protein powder that's easy on the stomach?

Last edited by longshadow11; 03-07-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #51
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUChase
My wife and I are looking for easy ways to eat healthy.

We both stay busy unti 7pm most nights and with two kids it's a struggle finding time to meal prep. We have talked about the whole Keto and Paleo diet and it's on the table, but it's not something I'm crazy about.

Anyone with similar issues have any tips or suggestions ? I workout 4-5, but results are slow because truthfully out diet sucks. I don't really eat sweets or drink soda so that helps a lot, but it's too easy just to grab something we would feed the kids who have a ridiculous metabolism.
For me it's hard not to eat whatever is on hand in the house. I've been doing better this year as I've limited my TV time significantly and just trying to stay aware of my intake - especially at home. I keep trying to remind myself when I'm "scrounging" that I workout hard so don't spoil that by overeating or eating junk. I can't image the difficulty of having kids and maintaining separate diets.

I try to prep things for the week on the weekend when I have the most time available. But honestly it doesn't take much more than 10-20 minutes to cut up some fruits and vegetables to have on hand or to put a salad together. I like keeping a stock of sliced strawberries for yogurt and to put on top of toast in the mornings. Occasionally we'll get pineapple and that is delicious with cottage cheese.

Then of course we have things on hand like apples, bananas, blueberries, nuts, etc that are basically ready to go.

I think the hard part is just working the food prep into your routine, but once you do it'll be a normal thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyB
Hi guys

Jeremy
Congrats on the weight loss!

I've never been too enticed or interested in protein powders/shakes. It's more of a personal indifference than any rationale or anything to do with nutrition.

Personally, I think there's enough protein options to counteract that, but again I'm not a nutrition expert. I will typically eat about 6-8oz of greek yogurt a day combined with fresh fruits (smashed banana, sliced strawberries, etc w/ maybe a drop of honey). Three to four times a week I'll also have cottage cheese with some kind of fruit (strawberries, blueberries, pineapple) for breakfast. I also keep a container of unsalted almonds in case I get too hungry between meals.

So, between the greek yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, and adding beans to my weekly salads I think I do fairly well when I don't eat actual meat.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #52
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUChase
My wife and I are looking for easy ways to eat healthy.

We both stay busy unti 7pm most nights and with two kids it's a struggle finding time to meal prep. We have talked about the whole Keto and Paleo diet and it's on the table, but it's not something I'm crazy about.

Anyone with similar issues have any tips or suggestions ? I workout 4-5, but results are slow because truthfully out diet sucks. I don't really eat sweets or drink soda so that helps a lot, but it's too easy just to grab something we would feed the kids who have a ridiculous metabolism.
It's tough for sure. You may consider trying one of the meal package delivery services (like Blue Apron or one of the 50 others ones that are out there), since they send you a box with the correct # of carrots, potatoes, chicken breasts, etc., and generally are pretty healthy. I think it ends up to being about $8-9 bucks/person, and the boxes come in meals for 2 or 4. You can do like 2-3 nights a week or something to offload some of the difficulty in the daily chore of figuring out "what's for dinner tonight?"...

I hate to sound like I'm pushing the meal kit delivery services, because in general I think there not that great, but some people I know have used and liked them, and it may be a reasonable solution for you given your situation. Anyway, just an option to consider if you haven't already tried it.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #53
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Pat Tillman run on Saturday. Running with my wife, so really trying to help her to a good finishing time.

I've been running 2-3 times a week (5-8 miles/run) and getting out on my bike 1-2 times a week. Trying to get the outdoor activities in before the heat gets unbearable, at which point I'll head to the gym more often.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #54
Ride on Kentucky Kid

doubledeuceR6's Arena

OVR: 12

Over the last 3 years I've lost about 30lbs. I went from being 140 to 150lbs for most of my adult life to over 190lbs after I quit smoking when I was 30. I'm 41 now and still smoke free. I think 192 was my heaviest and I'm 5-9.

I really didn't do anything exercise wise until about a year ago when I began mountain biking to lose the weight. Instead of fast food I started eating a turkey sandwich or PB&J on wheat for lunch and instead of chips I eat about 10 baby carrots. I also cut way back on the amount of soda, instead of 2 20oz sodas a day I only treat myself to 1 a week now.

I started mountain biking about a year ago and my weight is pretty constant now between 155-160lbs which for my height I believe is an ideal weight. I eat a lot of baked chicken and sweet potatos along with some salads. I'd like to eventually get into some XC racing but I know my diet needs to improve and be more consistent as I know that hurts me on the bike. I'd also like to get into a little strength training to help me on the bike as well.

Anyone do any cycling? Diet tips? Strength training tips?
Twitter: @CQRDeuce @CQRclub
www.cqrclub.co.uk

Last edited by doubledeuceR6; 04-24-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #55
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledeuceR6
Over the last 3 years I've lost about 30lbs. I went from being 140 to 150lbs for most of my adult life to over 190lbs after I quit smoking when I was 30. I'm 41 now and still smoke free. I think 192 was my heaviest and I'm 5-9.

I really didn't do anything exercise wise until about a year ago when I began mountain biking to lose the weight. Instead of fast food I started eating a turkey sandwich or PB&J on wheat for lunch and instead of chips I eat about 10 baby carrots. I also cut way back on the amount of soda, instead of 2 20oz sodas a day I only treat myself to 1 a week now.

I started mountain biking about a year ago and my weight is pretty constant now between 155-160lbs which for my height I believe is an ideal weight. I eat a lot of baked chicken and sweet potatos along with some salads. I'd like to eventually get into some XC racing but I know my diet needs to improve and be more consistent as I know that hurts me on the bike. I'd also like to get into a little strength training to help me on the bike as well.

Anyone do any cycling? Diet tips? Strength training tips?
I try and get out on my road bike 1-2 times a week, usually go for 25-40 miles depending on how much time I have. Wish I could ride more, and probably could if I made more of an effort, tbh, but also tough because then I'd have to sacrifice some of my running days, and don't really want to do that.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #56
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm 46 an had a Dr Appt for a check up early April and my weight was 270, she checked and the last time I was there in November I was 290, since early April I am now at 263. I bought a Fold up bike in February to ride inside with stretch bands on it so I can use those while riding and has worked pretty good. I like to at least do 10 miles and usually takes 30-35 minutes but have gone as long as 16 miles which took about 50 min or so.

I like to use first person bike scenery from Youtube on my TV while I'm riding and listening to my music if I don't ride while watching a show. Been cutting down on my portions and eating more fruit and veggies so that's also helped a lot. Every Tuesday a friend of mine at work and myself go to Zaxbys' cause their salads are 5.99 on Tuesdays and are so good, he's also wanting to cut down a bit.

Started walking with a couple other friends from work on Saturday mornings and liking that also just need to get some running shoes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »