Home

CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States.

This is a discussion on CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States. within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #3457
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
With all the regulations in healthcare and the government controlling medicare and state coverage, it is simple for politicians to influence what gets covered and at what levels. So there may not be any nefarious reason, but when you give more money for the same exact treatment if you say they have or are suspected covid then of-course you are going to get more people coded as that and inflate the numbers some.

Then you have other decisions like NY sending positive old people to nursing homes to die instead of treating them at the hospital. They then infect all the other people in the nursing home causing massive amounts of deaths that wouldn't have happened.

Then add in every crisis is political because each party wants credit for fixing things and wants to blame the other party for failures. Look at the border closing, it was racist before it happened and then 2 weeks after it happened everybody said it wasn't done soon enough and there was no action.

I appreciate the clarification and engagement. Not sure I buy it's happening at a scale that should meaningfully change our response to the virus but this makes a lot more sense than "THE MEDIA IS HYPING IT FOR CLICKS" and other accusations I've seen.

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Old 07-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #3458
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Going to have the same procedure i had last year in the beginning of August called an Ablation. Basically I was born with a 2nd electrical pathway in my heart that most of the time doesn't really matter, but once in awhile the heart will use the wrong pathway which confuses the heart and makes it have episodes with a sustained pulse over 200 bpm. Its called SVT. So in the procedure they make the arrythmia happen, see where the 2nd pathway is, and burn it. The risk, which is typically less than 1% is they burn both pathways, and then you would need a pacemaker. My 2 pathways are close together so my risk while still low is a little higher than 1%. So last time he was very conservative in how much he burned, this time he's going to be a little more aggressive.

Hopefully things are still pretty good in CT as far as Corona by then. Gonna need a covid test a few days before and gonna have to see what the visitor limitiations and protocols are by then because they are always changing.

They’re starting to let 1 visitor come in with patients here in the hospitals I frequent, but every hospital has a different policy.

Good luck, hope it all works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #3459
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
I guess I just don't understand the inclination to jump to all these nefarious explanations when the simplest one (the virus really is that bad) covers most of the bases.

I could be wrong. Hell, I hope I am. It just doesn't make much sense to me.
I don't think these are nefarious. I'll relate it to something I know more about with mental health. Insurance only covers sessions with a therapist if there's a diagnosis. If there's no diagnosis, insurance won't pay. This causes therapists to put a diagnosis in their notes, even if the person doesn't fit the criteria, in order to help the person get their sessions covered.

This inflates the number of people diagnosed with something (adjustment disorder, general anxiety, and depression are most commonly used because the criteria are pretty easy to hit) and could give a false impression of the statistics. Technically it's fraud, but because of how the system is set up, it becomes extremely common practice for therapists who take insurance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 07-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #3460
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Definitely. That’s the simplest, most obvious conclusion. Ok, if we inflated cases by a million, we still have 2 million cases. So went from terribly awful to awfully terrible.
I am sure the numbers are inflated in some areas. But I would guess they are more than balanced out by number of mild/asymptomatic cases that are never even tested. Just looking at the number of college athletes testing positive who are only getting tested because of their sport.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #3461
Banned

OVR: 0

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #3462
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

It seems to me like there's a lot of labels getting kinda morphed together when they really shouldn't be.

For example:

If a patient comes in to a hospital and is displaying symptoms of Covid but hasn't been tested yet, it makes sense that they might consider them a Covid patient until they're able to get test results confirming whether or not they are. They can't really risk having someone they suspect may have Covid hanging out in the waiting room with everyone else and potentially causing more spread of it in the hospital. I would imagine that when they throw up a label on a door that signifies that someone is a Covid patient, it's basically to signal to the doctors, nurses, etc. that they need to take extra precaution.

I can at least kinda speak to the CDC as one of my good friends is working on their Covid task force as an epidemiologist...they're treating this totally differently. There's a lag in the numbers that the CDC is getting because they have to wait to get actual test results back. They aren't just considering anybody with a cough to be a Covid patient.

Regarding deaths, my understanding is that it's being handled differently by different organizations. For example, the head of the Illinois Department of Public Health said back in April that at least at that time, they were considering anyone that died with Covid in their system to be a Covid death. That's obviously problematic, as for example, someone could die in a car crash and be considered a Covid death even if it had nothing at all to do with it. I suspect they probably aren't classifying deaths this way anymore but I have no way of really proving that one way or another. They are on the record as of April saying that's the way they were doing it though.

The CDC however is doing it differently, as it's based purely on the death certificates. Death certificates indicate the immediate cause of death and underlying cause of death. One of these two lines has to include Covid for it to count, so the car accident example would not be considered by the CDC to be a Covid death because the car accident itself would be the immediate cause of death and they're probably wouldn't be an underlying cause unless they were under the influence or something.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 07-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #3463
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
One county in Texas has asked for a 1 week pause in testing, and we still aren't even testing enough.

As for irregularities in reporting, counting, etc... if only there was some form of overarching connective tissue, maybe call it a government, that could set standards and assist with the problems states are having... and perhaps this government could have started this process in January or February.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #3464
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

https://freebeacon.com/media/nbc-con...d-his-recovery

Can't imagine why nobody trusts those who are trusted to inform us. Media, medical people, etc. "SCIENCE! (TM)"

Gee, major wonder why some people seek out alternate information sources and ultimately end up digesting garbage.

Total mystery.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »