Home

CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States.

This is a discussion on CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States. within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #3505

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea

Personally, I find the callousness with which some folks treat ppl with a pre-existing conditions as some walking COVID corpse more than offputting but I'm never gonna change their minds.
I get that to a degree, but I think it's a product of one side pushing hard that EVERYONE was at high risk from the get go and not wanting to cede any ground, and another side pushing back equally against that as more information comes out, and the first side getting offended and annoyed at the response as if it's an insult to their personal beliefs. Both sides dig their heels in and it turns partisan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #3506
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I get that to a degree, but I think it's a product of one side pushing hard that EVERYONE was at high risk from the get go and not wanting to cede any ground, and another side pushing back equally against that as more information comes out, and the first side getting offended and annoyed at the response as if it's an insult to their personal beliefs. Both sides dig their heels in and it turns partisan.

Meh.

One side was maybe, maaaaaaaaybe, being overly cautious in the name of public health. The other side was willing to write your death off as a cost of doing business if you're on blood pressure medication. To me, this is a bad faith use of "both sideism".

But as I said earlier, people's minds aren't being changed on the pre-existing conditions thing. It is what it is.

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Old 07-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #3507

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
Meh.
One side was maybe, maaaaaaaaybe, being overly cautious in the name of public health. The other side was willing to write your death off as a cost of doing business if you're on blood pressure medication. To me, this is a bad faith use of "both sideism".
It's beyond being overly cautious when your identity becomes about fear and muddying the waters when it comes to the mortality risk of a virus to an entire population to fit with your emotions.

Every day people react to new information on who is most at risk, and which demo has a higher mortality rate than others, with, "who cares? You are costing lives by minimizing the risk! Now less people will be scared and more will die! **** you." Nate Silver gets this response over and over. If you bring up the average age of death from Covid then it means you don't care about the elderly. Etc.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #3508
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

I thought the overwhelming message about this from the beginning was that this is very dangerous for the eldery and people with underlying conditions and for everyone else you get the flu, or a bad cold, for a couple weeks and then get better. I don't remember at the beginning the message being everyone is high risk of dying.

So as things progressed, when stuff came out that pointed to it being more dangerous than that for everyone, it becomes big news. Some of that stuff turned out to be false, some of it seems true, some seems to be true at times but overall very rare, some we still don't know.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #3509
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
I thought the overwhelming message about this from the beginning was that this is very dangerous for the eldery and people with underlying conditions and for everyone else you get the flu, or a bad cold, for a couple weeks and then get better. I don't remember at the beginning the message being everyone is high risk of dying.

So as things progressed, when stuff came out that pointed to it being more dangerous than that for everyone, it becomes big news. Some of that stuff turned out to be false, some of it seems true, some seems to be true at times but overall very rare, some we still don't know.
This is pretty spot on, but iirc this was being conveyed in real time and was just written off by many as 'the media muddying the waters' as models adjusted as far down as 60k (reflecting longer term stay at home orders, like until July or August).

The entire situation begins and ends in politics. It's why we're where we are at, on every front, unfortunately... so every aspect of it then becomes political even when it shouldn't (masks, schools). Even a global pandemic isn't enough to bridge that divide.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #3510
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

in one aspect it went from let's flatten the curve to ease hospital workload to let's stay shutdown till a vaccine is available. a vaccine that may or may not ever exist. in another it went from masks won't help to they will help (from the same man, mind you), and eventually in some places, mandatory masks. which leads me to a head scratcher: the Atlanta mayor cant understand how she could have possibly gotten corona when she's been wearing a mask all along. guess she was too busy to listen why and how the masks help. idiot.

the only consistency the last 4 months is the inconsistency and the constant moving of the goalposts. our actions, reaction and inaction did more harm than corona itself. we are actually lucky this thing isn't more deadly and contagious as it could be. hopefully some of our dear leaders have learned a valuable lesson so that whenever the sequel to corona (supercorona) is unleashed , the opposite of the last 4 months will be the gameplan.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #3511
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

People arguing we should be locked down until a vaccine is such a small segment of the population it’s not even worth mentioning. Almost nobody is saying that.

The inconsistency about masks was a mistake no doubt. But it’s pretty clear now they help at least a little and maybe a lot, and they are a simple thing to do. So people saying “well back in March you said masks don’t help so I’m not going to wear one” is a bull**** excuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #3512
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
People arguing we should be locked down until a vaccine is such a small segment of the population it’s not even worth mentioning. Almost nobody is saying that.
and as long as it stays small, very small, and more importantly, uninfluential, I'll be okay with that. unfortunately sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease when in fact what it needs is removed altogether.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »