Home

Do you think there will be another College BBall Game soon?

This is a discussion on Do you think there will be another College BBall Game soon? within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
Rookie

Gamzilla's Arena

OVR: 3
Do you think there will be another College BBall Game soon?

I know there are hurdles to jump with player likeness, logos, etc. While the chances looks somewhat better to have a licensed game, what about something like what Doug Flutie Football is doing? I’d love to see something even by an Indy group that is customizable. With PS5 coming, playing College Hoops 2k8 will become even more difficult. I still love the game but the graphics are definitely getting dated. I’m jonesing for something new in this genre!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Do you think there will be another College BBall Game soon?

I’m sure there is still a lot of legal and financial negotiations that have to be settled. There really hasn’t been much noise about any college sports game licensing. I would say we probably won’t see anything for another 2-3 years. that’s my measly 2 cents.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

I think that ship has sailed. I can’t even remember why they didn’t follow up with the next College Hoops 2K game. I’ve been honestly itching to play a good college game in the veins 2K8 with all the upgraded bells and whistles. I have such a nice setup to put it through the ringer. I think it’s backwards compatible. Might pick it up to pay it on the XBOX of I get a new one. That game was beautiful.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
Rookie

College hoops 2k8 still does wonders for me. I don't even play current gen anymore, So, im kinda used to the graphics now lol.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:12 AM   #5
Rookie

Segageek's Arena

Sadly I doubt it with everything with NCAA licensing and everything considering the last few college hoops games just never really sold like they used to i dont think any company would take a risk making one especally now with how much games cost these days.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I do think there there will be another college basketball game soon, as in a few years. The legal stuff is still playing out but the NCAA and collegiate athletics are inching closer to there being a framework for a return of NCAA games.

EA and 2k have both used college team licensing the past few years. What we can tell from that is how guarded they are with editing players (including your own avatar) into current student athletes. I think once clarity is brought to on that front we'll see games come back in full. I could see it going two ways: One, where the NCAA or school licences prohibits using any current student athletes likenesses even if the players have a union and face no penalty for making money. Two, EA/2K would have to negotiate separate deals with NCAA, Schools and a College Players Union which could drive up costs. At the end of the day though, I see any venture where money can be made ultimately coming together.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 10

The dominant business model for sports games now is mobile-game-style card collecting and Ultimate Team online competition. The need to be able to have licenses, brands and real player likenesses becomes massive when you make a game in that space. Nobody's gonna play a card collecting game with fake players and universities. And a regular game that just has an offline experience (the games I and older gamers like me like to play) similar to what games used to have doesn't sell anymore. There are several: Super Mega Baseball, the Doug Flutie football game, the countless sports mobile games.. unlicensed content doesn't sell.
So, my opinion, ONLY my opinion, knowing people in the gaming software world, having worked in it a bit myself, is that from the business perspective which is all that really matters, it's not a viable business to get into for EA, 2K or anyone else. Little guys can't afford it, and the big guys can't afford the hassle with how fickle the sports gaming world has become as a market. I could see the college experience finding it's way into Madden and NBA 2K, but I don't see anyone investing in a full game.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #8
Rookie

Gamzilla's Arena

OVR: 3

With today’s news of College football returning, I think there’s hope for College hoops

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »