Home

ESPN 2K5 vs Madden 07 on Xbox?

This is a discussion on ESPN 2K5 vs Madden 07 on Xbox? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #25
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: ESPN 2K5 vs Madden 07 on Xbox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolus Rex
I don't mind fan of any of the game telling their opinons, the contrary. All I want is to the opinions be backed up good arguments and not simply that the other game suck.Your opinions have been very helpful to me. Thanks!
Glad I could hep. Enjoy the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #26
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
It all depends on what you want.

NFL 2k5 Pros:
1. Presentation (commentary, pregame, halftime, postgame) and graphics are light years ahead of Madden.
2. Player interaction is more realistic.
3. Has better gang tackling if you even want to consider Madden's "gang tackling" to really be gang tackling.
4. Overall running game is much better.
5. Passing game is more realistic in that you cannot drop back and throw off the wrong foot and still succeed much.
6. Mastering the Juke Stick in 2k5 is more rewarding than the Highlight stick in Madden.

Madden Pros:
1. Franchise mode is way deeper than on 2k5. Plus franchise mode has glitches in 2k5 which don't help it (draft glitch is a killer)...if you plan to play a lot of franchise, I'd go with Madden.
2. Precision Passing in Madden feels more responsive than Maximum Passing in 2k5.
3. More RAC on passing plays.
4. Superstar mode if you're interested in it.
5. DB play and QB AI isn't particularly good in 2k5...helped w/ sliders and Performance EQ, but still not very good.
6. Functional QB spy

Toss ups:
1. 2k5 has better multi-tackler animations whereas Madden imo has some better solo tackling animations.
2. Madden's momentum often feels better than 2k5, as sometimes it seems like 2k overdid it...but then again, sometimes Madden players "skate" across the field too.
3. 2k5 is by far a lot cheaper (don't know of many quality games you could get for $1.99) but in order to use up to date rosters you need an AR which costs around $30, which almost negates the deal unless you use your AR for other games too.
4. Out of the box, Madden has more up to date rosters, but the best rosters for both games can be found here at the OS. Whether they're for Madden or 2k5, they're more realistic and are of higher quality than what EA releases as updates.

It all depends on what you're looking for bud. Both games are good...personally I like 2k5 better, but Madden has its advantages. Good luck w/ whatever game you get.
This is a really good post. Both games have flaws. 2K5 requires a lot of tweaking out of the box for single player action due to some big flaws in DB AI among others. Madden is boring since the presentation is so awful. I prefer NCAA '06 or '07 to both of them and I prefer the NFL over college.

I will say this about 2K5 - the CPU QB AI is among the worst I have ever seen. They throw into coverage all the time and are awful at reading defenses. It became a game killer for me and I could no longer play the game with how easy it was to stifle the CPU passing attack. I tried edits and sliders and I did my best to maximize their passing game but the CPU QBs are complete morons. They changed the AI from 2K4 since they never threw deep but to get them to do that, they completely screwed up the QBs imo.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
This is a really good post. Both games have flaws. 2K5 requires a lot of tweaking out of the box for single player action due to some big flaws in DB AI among others. Madden is boring since the presentation is so awful. I prefer NCAA '06 or '07 to both of them and I prefer the NFL over college.

I will say this about 2K5 - the CPU QB AI is among the worst I have ever seen. They throw into coverage all the time and are awful at reading defenses. It became a game killer for me and I could no longer play the game with how easy it was to stifle the CPU passing attack. I tried edits and sliders and I did my best to maximize their passing game but the CPU QBs are complete morons. They changed the AI from 2K4 since they never threw deep but to get them to do that, they completely screwed up the QBs imo.
It is a shame they changed things from 2k4...never made any sense to me, since I thought they had the passing game perfect.

Carolus Rex...if you want a good game of football, don't care too much about rosters, and want a game that's practically glitch free, pick up a copy of ESPN NFL 2k4. Presentation and graphics aren't quite where 2k5 is at, but it's ahead of Madden for sure. 2k4 is probably your best balance of glitch free on field action and presentation imo.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #28
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
It is a shame they changed things from 2k4...never made any sense to me, since I thought they had the passing game perfect.

Carolus Rex...if you want a good game of football, don't care too much about rosters, and want a game that's practically glitch free, pick up a copy of ESPN NFL 2k4. Presentation and graphics aren't quite where 2k5 is at, but it's ahead of Madden for sure. 2k4 is probably your best balance of glitch free on field action and presentation imo.
I loved 2K4 and played that game to death. It was great out of the box. 2K5 frustrated me. The DB AI was bad, CPU QB AI terrible, fatigue was broken, screen passes didn't work anymore, counter plays weren't as good since guards didn't pull fast enough, the momentum animation was lousy - either put momentum in the game or don't, among other things. 2K4 wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it a lot more at the time.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
I loved 2K4 and played that game to death. It was great out of the box. 2K5 frustrated me. The DB AI was bad, CPU QB AI terrible, fatigue was broken, screen passes didn't work anymore, counter plays weren't as good since guards didn't pull fast enough, the momentum animation was lousy - either put momentum in the game or don't, among other things. 2K4 wasn't perfect but I enjoyed it a lot more at the time.
IMO, ESPN NFL 2K4 is the best overall single player football game ever made. I say single player because the AI issues that made 2K5 unplayable to me aren't that much of an issue when playing multiplayer. The presentation is better in 2K5 but the brain-dead CPU QBs as well as the franchise mode issues (draft and trade logic) completely killed the single player aspect of it for me and many others. Some of the sliders and rosters posted here help somewhat but everytime I thought I'd gotten a combination that solved the problems they'd come back to bite me big time.

I'm now looking to get my NFL franchise fix from 2K4. I'll just do a fantasy draft and go from there since the rosters aren't accurate.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:15 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
So 2K5 sucks?

Also, rosters are important to me since I will learn alot about real NFL players names and teams rosters if I have up to date rosters. that wil lhelp me get up to speed on the real NFL.

I know, ratings etc isn't always realistic (I'm an avid hockey fan and god knows EA ratings sucks) but they give some pointers to wich players are good etc.

I am watching NBC sunday night football every week now and I realy enyoy the sport. Playing a game with real rosters will help me understand the sport and players even better.

Another question not related to the video game. How is minnesota vikings economy?

I mean, will they move town anytime soon or something like that? I just saw that the 49ers is about to move. Since Minnesota Vikings was the obvious team (although I would have liked a southern team) choice for a Swede to have as favourite I would not like to get involved in a team that will dissapear in the coming years.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #31
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

Quote:
So 2K5 sucks?

Also, rosters are important to me since I will learn alot about real NFL players names and teams rosters if I have up to date rosters. that wil lhelp me get up to speed on the real NFL.

I know, ratings etc isn't always realistic (I'm an avid hockey fan and god knows EA ratings sucks) but they give some pointers to wich players are good etc.

I am watching NBC sunday night football every week now and I realy enyoy the sport. Playing a game with real rosters will help me understand the sport and players even better.

Another question not related to the video game. How is minnesota vikings economy?

I mean, will they move town anytime soon or something like that? I just saw that the 49ers is about to move. Since Minnesota Vikings was the obvious team (although I would have liked a southern team) choice for a Swede to have as favourite I would not like to get involved in a team that will dissapear in the coming years.
2K5 doesn't suck but it was disappointing imo. Some people love it to death but there were serious issues with that game that didn't exist in 2K4 which is what ticked me off. Even the franchise draft got royally screwed since only 4 positions ever got drafted by the CPU in round 1. Need a LB? Don't bother drafting one in the first round since the CPU won't draft anything other than QB, RB, OT and DE in the first round (I think).

If you want more realistic rosters, I think the 2K5 rosters are far more up to date than 2K4 but I'm not sure. Madden '07 will obviously have the best rosters. 2K5 is still fun when online or multiplayer but singleplayer was a disappointment for me. I ended up buying Madden 2005 which had better single player but had such crappy presentation compared to 2K5 that it got stale as well. The crappy blocking AI also made playing in the front 7 lousy and playing defense in Madden gets boring as well. Not sure about the '07 version though.

Madden 07 and 2K5 are different and don't believe people that say REAL football is played on 2K while Madden is arcade. That's just their opinions. There are a lot of instances where Madden is the better game. 2K5 does a fantastic job with presentation and the blocking engine with gang tackling is a lot better in the 2K series which are two very significant things. I would say Madden does as good a job or better in everything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #32
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
So 2K5 sucks?.
No way.

2K4 was good, but it had a lot of freezing problems. It was very difficult for me to play that game more than 45 minutes until it would freeze up and I'd have to restart the xbox. And I wasn't the only one; it happened to a lot of people.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »