Home

Blood Bowl

This is a discussion on Blood Bowl within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #25
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Blood Bowl

Okay, got the game if anyone cares lol. I did some research on the game (wiki). I am playing the board version of the video game. I read the online manual briefly and am not sure if all the rules from living rule book 5 are included. I of course jump right into campaign mode. Built a team that I had no clue what the strategy or reason was behind my build. I actually think I can really get into this game in seems deep and challenging. I agree with the review they do a poor job of letting you know why things are happening (most dice rolls seem hidden). I think reading the book my help or finding living rule book version 5 which is what the board game is based off. Im not touching the realtime version of the game. I did find 1 app in the app store for blood bowl which looks like it will be very helpful. It is a simple odds calculator. Why this wasn't included in the game is beyond me. I have never really been able to get into rpg style games, this isn't really one but has elements and is based on football so I think I am really going to dig into the game even with its flaws they can be overcame by learning the real game.
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #26
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

Anyone care about Blood Bowl? I am actually having fun with the game. It has a learning curve but I am starting to pick up some wins and it is rewarding.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
Anyone care about Blood Bowl? I am actually having fun with the game. It has a learning curve but I am starting to pick up some wins and it is rewarding.
Are you playing on the PC? I've watched some gameplay but don't think it's worth full price right now. Who knows.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #28
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Are you playing on the PC? I've watched some gameplay but don't think it's worth full price right now. Who knows.
Got it off Goozex for PC, so didn't really cost me anything since I have some points on there from games I already traded away. I am having fun with it. If you interested do a search for Blood Bowl Living Rule Book 5. I found a PDF and that is what the rules for classic mode are based.

The game does a poor job of letting you see all the dice rolls but you always hear a dice sound before an action so it makes sense. The game is a strategic board game that I would call a cross between a game like Risk, American Football, Rugby, and Dungeons and Dragons.

I have never been a RPG type person or a D&D player but putting a football type game in the mix makes it interesting to me. If you like strategy game or strategy board games I would say give it a try. If it is not your thing then I wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't tell anyone to pay what it retails now unless it is something you are definately going to enjoy. Still if you find it cheap at some point pick it up.

I havn't ventured into multiplayer online world so not sure how active that community is at this point. The campaign is deep with quite a few options. I am just playing classic board game. I'm getting attached to my players now. I am playing with a human team and have a level 3 thrower and catcher. It is a blast for me to think up new strategies to get these guys some touchdown connections. I am going to cry if one of these dudes gets killed on the field.

There is actually another option for custom rules I didn't even see when I started my campaign which let you sign contracts and buy equipment that give your players a bonus. Anyways, its an interesting game but not for everyone.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
My initial impression is that it's the worst game I've ever played.

It gave the appearence of a scrum or face off type thing. I put the cursor thinking I'd go after the big guy but no that was a kick off and they got the ball at half. I somehow made them fumble but couldn't pick up the ball. You don't control players directly btw,it's a cursor thing like a SRPG. I clicked on my player,I clicked on the ball,he did nothing. The AI eventually picked it up and ran it into the endzone unopposed while most of my players stood there doing nothing.

Then it was my turn. I chose to put my player under the ball after an "event" screen. He got the ball,stood there and did his best impression Sony's customer support by doing absolutely nothing much like my defenders. The big AI guy tackles him. He fumbles and the other AI guy picks it up and runs it in the endzone unopposed again. I turned it off.

I'll have to go through all the tutorial crap and read the massive book. See I thought you'd have direct control of the players so didn't bother but you don't.

After trying tutorials and the turn based mode it's still the worst game I've ever played,in fact seems to have gotten even worse. If not it's at least the worst football/sports game I've ever played. Yes even worse than Madden 2005 and Tecmo's recent NBA XBL debacle.
I agree. Real Time Mode is unplayable. Turn based mode is an outdated version of the turn based rules of the table top game.

The game is unfun as it rewards you for cheap things like not scoring (The best strategy with teams like elves is to hold on to the ball as long as possible then score on the last turn of the 2nd half to make the game 2-1).

Also I really like how if one of my players screws up early in my turn the rest of my guys just do nothing for that turn. That's not football at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »