Home

New Football game??? 10 questions...

This is a discussion on New Football game??? 10 questions... within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 27
New Football game??? 10 questions...

I've been commissioned once again to ask you all some questions about something very possibly in the works

No poll for this one. The idea this time around is to get some free-flowing feelings about this. Please read and answer each question carefully. Also, if you have not had the opportunity to vote and comment on the first poll, please do so at the following link:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ball-game.html

The Questions:

1. Which of the following formats do you own and which one do you use the most for gaming?: XBOX 360, PS3, PS2, XBOX-One, Wii, PC, Mac, PSP, Iphone, Ipod Touch?

2. When playing games on your PC, which controller do you prefer to use? (An XBOX 360 controller? Or if another type of controller, please name it).

3. Which of the formats detailed in question #1 would you primarily like to see a new football game released on, and why?

4. Aside from the formats mentioned, would you be open to a football game being an internet application, ala Gridiron Live at Facebook, or Quickhit Football, and why/why not?

5. Would you like there to be a public prototype/beta program, and why/why not?

6. If the public prototype/beta program were to charge a small fee for the management and maintenance of participation, how much do you think would be reasonable to charge each participant? (please choose a specific dollar amount).

7. Of the following formats, which ones would you prefer a public prototype/beta to be playable on: XBOX 360, PS3, PS2, XBOX-One, Wii, PC, Mac, PSP, Iphone, Ipod Touch?

8. Which companies that currently or have in the past produced Football video games would you feel most confident seeing as the publisher of a new football game? (If you would like to instead choose a company that hasn't produced one in the past, name the company and give detail as to why you chose them).

9. Out of the following franchises, which Football video game is your favorite(s) of all time: Tecmo Bowl series, NFL 2K series, Madden series, NFL Gameday series? (please use specific years and systems such as "My favorite is Madden 2005 for PS2").

Why did you choose the one(s) you did? What things from those games pertaining to gameplay would you like to see in a new football game?

10. What type of gameplay would you like to see focused on in a prototype? (Offensive? Defensive? Special teams?).

Last edited by TheWatcher; 12-24-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: New Football game??? 10 questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher

The Questions:

1. Which of the following formats do you own and which one do you use the most for gaming?: XBOX 360, PS3, PS2, XBOX-One, Wii, PC, Mac, PSP, Iphone, Ipod Touch?

2. When playing games on your PC, which controller do you prefer to use? (An XBOX 360 controller? Or if another type of controller, please name it).

Dont play on pc, but for a good new football game i may try it out. Not quite sure my computer could handle it so keep in mind it may limit the fan base some. I would use a 360 controller if my computer could handle the game.

3. Which of the formats detailed in question #1 would you primarily like to see a new football game released on, and why?

Next gen systems. We want to use the power they have. As for the computer im not sure if everyone has a system that could handle it.

4. Aside from the formats mentioned, would you be open to a football game being an internet application, ala Gridiron Live at Facebook, or Quickhit Football, and why/why not?

Yes and no. I dont use the computer much if im not at work and i cant really download anything to the work computers. If it doesnt require you download something, then im all for it. If you do require a d/l then make it so you can d/l it to your home computer and then check or make small roster movements from my work computer.

Yes you could get some really good feedback early on, although you may want to limit who you give it based on the maturity level. Some guys on these boards are way to critical of very useless aspects of the game(team cleate color). Personally i feel if you got some of the good guys from the 2k8 side or the ACQB league you may get some really good feedback. They really understand football and how it should relate to games without being absurd with their expectations

6. If the public prototype/beta program were to charge a small fee for the management and maintenance of participation, how much do you think would be reasonable to charge each participant? (please choose a specific dollar amount).

$20 would be pushing it imo but if you were really good at listening to their feedback i could see guys really getting into it.

7. Of the following formats, which ones would you prefer a public prototype/beta to be playable on: XBOX 360, PS3, PS2, XBOX-One, Wii, PC, Mac, PSP, Iphone, Ipod Touch?

8. Which companies that currently or have in the past produced Football video games would you feel most confident seeing as the publisher of a new football game? (If you would like to instead choose a company that hasn't produced one in the past, name the company and give detail as to why you chose them).

2k sports but i dont mind either way.

9. Out of the following franchises, which Football video game is your favorite(s) of all time: Tecmo Bowl series, NFL 2K series, Madden series, NFL Gameday series? (please use specific years and systems such as "My favorite is Madden 2005 for PS2").

2k5/2k8

10. What type of gameplay would you like to see focused on in a prototype? (Offensive? Defensive? Special teams?).

Why did you choose the ones you did? What things from those games pertaining to gameplay would you like to see in a new football game?

Im all about defense more than offense. Its easier to tell if the guys know football if they can battle a good d instead of just throwing it up to tall receivers
Answers in your quote.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
I've been commissioned once again to ask you all some questions about something very possibly in the works

No poll for this one. The idea this time around is to get some free-flowing feelings about this. Please read and answer each question carefully. Also, if you have not had the opportunity to vote and comment on the first poll, please do so at the following link:

The Questions:

Xbox 360, PC and PSP

Xbox 360 controller

XBox 360. Too powerful a machine to be limited to one game (combining NCAA and Madden for these purposes).

No, I cannot imagine a good football game being done this way. Of course, I am open to being proven wrong!

Yes, that way bugs, glitches and the like satnd a better chance of being squished. Many folks on these boards, myself included, have QA tested, or would QA test, for free.

I do not believe it is reasonable to charge a fee for volunteers to help perfect a product. While I would volunteer my time happily, I would never pay a fee to do QA work.

PC, as that has the risk of the most bugs (with the various components and no "standard" unit).

Don't know. 2k put out the best football game (NFL 2k5), but their support has been a disaster for NHL 2k series. I don't know if 2k can be trusted to do anything at this point.

NFL 2k5

Why did you choose the one(s) you did? What things from those games pertaining to gameplay would you like to see in a new football game?

Great gameplay, believeable physics, deep franchise, great presentation, etc. Five years later and Madden still cannot hold a candle to the 2k5 package.

Has to be all three. A football game would fail specializing in any one of the three. And make ratings matter!
Answers within quote above

Last edited by GlennN; 12-24-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: My answers were not in the quote correctly
Old 12-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

2. When playing games on your PC, which controller do you prefer to use? (An XBOX 360 controller? Or if another type of controller, please name it). I use my good ole' keyboard and mouse.

3. Which of the formats detailed in question #1 would you primarily like to see a new football game released on, and why? 360, its what I use the most and have the most friends on.

4. Aside from the formats mentioned, would you be open to a football game being an internet application, ala Gridiron Live at Facebook, or Quickhit Football, and why/why not? Eh, I guess?

5. Would you like there to be a public prototype/beta program, and why/why not? Yes, it would allow for the customers to get the little things fixed before initial release.

6. If the public prototype/beta program were to charge a small fee for the management and maintenance of participation, how much do you think would be reasonable to charge each participant? (please choose a specific dollar amount). Honestly, I do not know.

8. Which companies that currently or have in the past produced Football video games would you feel most confident seeing as the publisher of a new football game? (If you would like to instead choose a company that hasn't produced one in the past, name the company and give detail as to why you chose them). 2k Sports

9. Out of the following franchises, which Football video game is your favorite(s) of all time: Tecmo Bowl series, NFL 2K series, Madden series, NFL Gameday series? (please use specific years and systems such as "My favorite is Madden 2005 for PS2"). APF 2k8 had the best gameplay ever in a sports game.

Why did you choose the one(s) you did? What things from those games pertaining to gameplay would you like to see in a new football game? It had actual physics, or seemed to. It had momentum. Basically, it had the best locomotion I've seen in a football game.

10. What type of gameplay would you like to see focused on in a prototype? (Offensive? Defensive? Special teams?). Defense.

― Plato
Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

1. Which of the following formats do you own and which one do you use the most for gaming?:Wii, Mac, Ipod Touch

2. When playing games on your PC, which controller do you prefer to use? I just use the keyboard and mouse, normally just play Tecmo Bowl roms and strategy games.

Wii, the Wiimote could do wonders for the passing game. Wiiware would allow a small company a good entry into the market.

4. Aside from the formats mentioned, would you be open to a football game being an internet application, ala Gridiron Live at Facebook, or Quickhit Football, and why/why not? Maybe.

5. Would you like there to be a public prototype/beta program, and why/why not? Yes, feedback is always a good thing.

6. If the public prototype/beta program were to charge a small fee for the management and maintenance of participation, how much do you think would be reasonable to charge each participant? (please choose a specific dollar amount). $5.

7. Of the following formats, which ones would you prefer a public prototype/beta to be playable on: Wii, PC, Mac.

8. Which companies that currently or have in the past produced Football video games would you feel most confident seeing as the publisher of a new football game? Next Level Games. Tecmo.

9. Out of the following franchises, which Football video game is your favorite(s) of all time: Tecmo Bowl series, NFL 2K series, Madden series, NFL Gameday series? Tecmo Bowl, not even close.

Why did you choose the one(s) you did? What things from those games pertaining to gameplay would you like to see in a new football game? Gameplay is still much funner than these newer football games. I've played football, watch a ton of football, Madden is nothing like real football. Players run around like robots. At least in Tecmo Bowl the players had fluidity in their movements. EA can keep slapping a newer coat of paint on it each year, it's still the same bad game.

10. What type of gameplay would you like to see focused on in a prototype? (Offensive? Defensive? Special teams?). Offense, followed by defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

If I could follow up on the previous 10 question survey post, I've been desperate for a new football game (Madden has never done it for me at all). And I've actually been contacting some freelance developers about hacking a SNES Tecmo Bowl game and adding things like all 32 NFL teams, tweaking the gameplay, playbooks and AI. I'm aware that this is against the millennium copyright act, or whatever it's called so I've suggested basically copying the look and gameplay and going from there.

I have no idea if the OP is being commissioned by a game company, developers, publishers or what to do this survey but I would strongly suggest you do not copy the look of Madden. Go with an old school look of a game like Tecmo Bowl but update the graphics and gameplay.

My dream football game would be to incorporate the clean look of Tecmo Bowl along with a lot of the gameplay elements but then take it a step further by adding a strong strategy element with different plays, formations and defensive playcalling. Maybe even have players ability stats go up or down according to how well they are playing throughout the season. Also, maybe have the ability to have your QB throw the ball to a spot on the field, etc.

I don't know how many people are aware on here that there are a number of Tecmo Bowl websites where fans actually update the roms with new rosters and even plays each year. There's even one guy who added actual defensive formations instead of guessing what the Computer is going to pick on offense. Playing some of these roms just makes it all the more frustrating that there isn't an actual company or developers that can really take it to that next step.

Alright, sorry for the long rambling post, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents on the matter. It's cool to see that there might be a new football game out there eventually!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 27

^^^ No need to apologize. I appreciate this kind of information. I want people to answer the questions, but after they've done that I wouldn't mind them elaborating further in another post like you did here. I'm trying to get as much information as I can gather and I am reading everyone's information very carefully. I'm an oldschool football gamer, too so I know exactly where you're coming from. I believe things will change for the better soon in the new decade.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:

The Questions:

Answers in bold after the question:

1. Which of the following formats do you own and which one do you use the most for gaming?: XBOX 360, PS3, PS2, XBOX-One, Wii, PC, Mac, PSP, Iphone, Ipod Touch? I have a PS2, PS3 and PC, use the PS2 and PC most, although will play PS3 more when I get some new games.

2. When playing games on your PC, which controller do you prefer to use? PS3 controller.

3. Which of the formats detailed in question #1 would you primarily like to see a new football game released on, and why? As many as possible without compromising on features. Minimum would be PS3 and 360, preferably PC too.

4. Aside from the formats mentioned, would you be open to a football game being an internet application, ala Gridiron Live at Facebook, or Quickhit Football, and why/why not? If it was done well then by all means. A lot of those games are really feature-poor and seem rushed at times.

5. Would you like there to be a public prototype/beta program, and why/why not? Would be a cool idea, public feedback can only be a good thing.

6. If the public prototype/beta program were to charge a small fee for the management and maintenance of participation, how much do you think would be reasonable to charge each participant? It depends on how many people and what type of people you want, as well as the target market for the game. Ideally you shouldn't charge more than a few dollars though.

7. Of the following formats, which ones would you prefer a public prototype/beta to be playable on: XBOX 360, PS3, PS2, XBOX-One, Wii, PC, Mac, PSP, Iphone, Ipod Touch? Whichever formats the game would be retailing on, anything else is pointless and not representative.

8. Which companies that currently or have in the past produced Football video games would you feel most confident seeing as the publisher of a new football game? 2k if someone wakes up their marketing dept.

9. Out of the following franchises, which Football video game is your favorite(s) of all time: Tecmo Bowl series, NFL 2K series, Madden series, NFL Gameday series? 2k5 is probably the best football game ever. Madden has had it's up years (2003 and 2004 come to mind) but has also had some down years.

Why did you choose the one(s) you did? What things from those games pertaining to gameplay would you like to see in a new football game? 2k5 did interactions very well, there are 1000's of animations in that game. With a similar engine (which improves on gang-tackles, running animations, etc) and 1000's more animations that 360/PS3 allow it could be cool. I think a lot of recent Madden's (haven't played '10 though) have seemed too fast.2k8 went backwards in some areas (playbooks, and the gameplay feeling a bit too "twitchy" for example)

10. What type of gameplay would you like to see focused on in a prototype? (Offensive? Defensive? Special teams?). Ideally as much as possible, but if only one phase then Offensive, more people would want to see offensive stuff as a trailer / prototype. Also something that shows of a lot of different animations / interactions would be a good idea.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »