Home

SportsCenter vs. The Extra Point

This is a discussion on SportsCenter vs. The Extra Point within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 18
Re: SportsCenter vs. The Extra Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
What is this supposed to prove? Seriously.
Are you kidding? LOL

What doesn't it prove? I think it speaks volumes. It's simply the 2 halftime shows back to back. Nothing opinionated. Nothing biased. One is from 6 years ago and one is current. Do you not see a problem?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans
Are you kidding? LOL

What doesn't it prove? I think it speaks volumes. It's simply the 2 halftime shows back to back. Nothing opinionated. Nothing biased. One is from 6 years ago and one is current. Do you not see a problem?
I didn't say I didn't see a problem. 2K obviously demolishes EA's presentation. No question about it.

This thread is really just pointless in the Madden board (where originally posted with the "You be the judge" line...Come on.)...what can be said now that hasn't been said for five years?

We all know that Madden's presentation needs a lot of work. Constantly harping on it doesn't do anybody any good though.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
I mean, I know what this proves (2K kills EA at presentation)...but it's not like this thread is some new revelation. This thread is at its' core, literally, a 2K vs EA comparison thread, and those are so played out by now it's not funny.
It isn't supposed to be funny. I don't think this issue has been "played out" at all. This has not been resolved and i dont feel like putting up with lazy development half a decade later. There is a reason why the 2K5 legacy hasn't died yet. It wont be played out until the developers look, listen and react to the criticism in some of their half-hearted features. I want them to stop making "beyond broadcast" and "everything you see on Sunday" promises and continue to fall short in presentation year after year. I dont think anyone wants 2K5 to continue to be the best sports presentation. Its a very old and crude looking game, but it did things that EA hasnt even come close to delivering on today's powerful hardware. Believe me I want Madden to be the most incredible game and finally put all these comparisons to bed. But how they continue to ignore these GLARING holes in their presentation is beyond me. It's obviously not a technology issue. It's muddled direction for presentation and an unfocused vision for what constitutes a truly authentic NFL experience.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
I didn't say I didn't see a problem. 2K obviously demolishes EA's presentation. No question about it.

This thread is really just pointless in the Madden board (where originally posted with the "You be the judge" line...Come on.)...what can be said now that hasn't been said for five years?

We all know that Madden's presentation needs a lot of work. Constantly harping on it doesn't do anybody any good though.

So do you think we should just be quiet and continue to feast on the poop sandwiches we're being fed year after year? I dont want to hear the arguement "If you dont like it, dont buy it." I want an amazing NFL game. I love the sport and I really enjoy some aspects of Madden. But until they fix their presentation I think these comparisons are justified. If there is a problem I think we have the right to make a point.

Last edited by johnprestonevans; 06-19-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 24

Yes, we all know 2k5 had the best presentation and halftime show. Heck, up until M10, there WAS no real halftime show. It was a start.

Disappointing to hear that it won't be improved upon for M11. (At least I haven't seen anything to the contrary yet)

I only had a PS2, so I got the still shots of the halftime show. But even those weren't bad. Real ESPN integration is never a bad thing, but as has been stated numerous times, for whatever reason, EA Madden's not allowed to copy what 2k did as far as using ESPN personalities and/or logo's. Doesn't make sense I know, because NCAA's doing it, but whatever.

Bottomline------it's sad that after all these years and next-gen consoles, EA's presentation still lacks that factor that makes you feel like you're watching a game on tv. But we just have to take what they give us and move on. Even if EA blows presentation out of the water, there'll still be some complaining that the gameplay still stinks. And vice-versa----if gameplay kicks a$$, but presentation stinks, that'll be a complaint as well. EA really needs to try to get BOTH right at the same time, AND make franchise as deep as humanly possible, then I think most will be happy as heck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
That is a fair comparison. It doesn't help when you look at the NCAA 11 video blog about their presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFm84utLQA

I don't know who to blame, and I don't think there is one person to blame. I honestly think it is the vision of many EA Sports/EA developers and engineers. It's not just Madden or NCAA. It's EA games. The company as a whole has a bad reputation. A friend of mine who could care less about sports has said "EA makes bad movie games." I don't think it's a pasion or hard work issue. I think it's a vison, direction, and talent issue. There are a number of good and great ideas that come out of EA games, but they are poorly executed. I could make a laundry list of ideas that I have liked over the years and most of them have long been abandoned, or are still in the games untouched from year to year.
I do really like NCAA11's presentation. Its definately a step in the right direction. The ESPN wipes and editing of instant replays looks pretty good. I wish they would do more replays from real telecast camera angles rather than get in so close, but still a solid job this year. I am still waiting to see a halftime show and if commentary will finally be included in recap shows.

There are so many facets to running a broadcast presentation. ESPN content is a great start, but clearly it doesn't matter which network is used, so long as all of these elements are present:
1) True television camera angle options (not everyone likes them)
2) Network Logos and wipes (NCAA11 - check)
3) Telecast style tickers - show me scores and stats around the league
4) Game breaks - lets head to the studio once in a while to see highlights
5) Pregame/Halftime/Postgame/Weekly Shows with FULL league highlights, commentary, opinions, injuries, matchups, standings...etc.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #23
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans
So do you think we should just be quiet and continue to feast on the poop sandwiches we're being fed year after year? I dont want to hear the arguement "If you dont like it, dont buy it." I want an amazing NFL game. I love the sport and I really enjoy some aspects of Madden. But until they fix their presentation I think these comparisons are justified. If there is a problem I think we have the right to make a point.
Point blank, this thread is stupid purely due to its' redundancy. (I have no problem with the actual content. The consistency of the comparisons are just tiring.)

I didn't say you had to enjoy poop sandwiches, and I never said "if you don't like it, don't buy it" but feel free to keep making both sides of this argument (yours and mine) because I'm ignoring this thread after this post.

I want broadcast presentation. I get it, I get it, I get it. I'm with you on wanting more than the Extra Point, but to post a comparison video like you're breaking some major news here (This just in: Madden's presentation blows!)...it's just dumb. There is no point to be made here that hasn't been made a million times in a million different threads before, so the thread just turns into the typical "bash EA" thread. I would argue that was definitely the implication of the original post, but moreso the subsequent replies.

It's just a broken record with this stuff sometimes, man.

Last edited by SmashMan; 06-19-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #24
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
So what's going to come out next year? This year was supposedly gameplay. They fixed very little. The animations still aren't right, the QB still moonwalks, there is still no pocket, pro-tak was not built on at all, pass blocking is still a mess, defense is in shambles, the adaptive AI that was supposedly so easy to add to was not improved, the challenge system still doesn't work, still no progressive lighting, no real time injuries, no interactive sidelines...

So where are the great enhancements? So now we miss another year. Next year comes around and all of those issues STILL won't be fixed or improved because they can only work on one thing a year. SO we will get an incomplete franchise mode that will have less features then it does now. It's truly remarkable that they continue to make this game the way they do.
lol...I can't speak to any of that. I was just relaying what was put out. I have my own doubts about 12, but at this point with 11 not even out yet, there's nothing to do but wait and see.

I'm not about to pass any definitive judgement based of of E3 videos. I was pleased with the NCAA demo, so Madden might play better then it looks...I dunno.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »