Home

Could We See a 2K Soccer Game in the Future?

This is a discussion on Could We See a 2K Soccer Game in the Future? within the Other Soccer Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Other Soccer Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Could We See a 2K Soccer Game in the Future?

It's been a whirlwind few months for us soccer gaming fans. Apart from the regularly scheduled...

Written By: Kevin Groves

Click here to view the article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Could We See a 2K Soccer Game in the Future?

Nice article

Would love to see a new "major" player enter the market. Sadly I don't have high hopes and any I do have I don't get the feeling we'd be getting anything anytime soon unless they've managed to have one of the best kept secrets in gaming. Konami have already shown you can't just slap something together in 2 years. While I'd wager 2K would put more money and backing behind it, we'd be looking at 3 or 4 years out given the quality 2K would probably aim for.

With that said on the hopes and dreams side of things:

Even if initially they started with a focus on international football ie World Cup, Club World Cup maybe get the UEFA Nations League that would be a great start. If they want to get club comp involved I'm sure the MLS would ditch EA for what would probably be more attention from 2K. Then they could also go the route of adding in USL or NISA leagues from the US if they just were to focus on NA football. Honestly they could probably just give North and South America the focus of club games, hell do something with African leagues as well. EA main focus is Europe for good reason but other regions would love the attention.

Also with the strong support they give the WNBA maybe they could give some love to the women's side of the game. Not only could you do the Women's World Cup but probably get UEFA Womens Champions League, FA WSL and NWSL going.The womens game is another huge area where EA and especially Konami have dropped the ball.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #3
Rookie

BoSox59's Arena

OVR: 0

It’s certainly intriguing (and EA needs solid competition to produce decent games), but I’d much rather see 2k get back into hockey and college hoops
Old 11-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #4
Zac
World-Class Diver

Zac's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox59
It’s certainly intriguing (and EA needs solid competition to produce decent games), but I’d much rather see 2k get back into hockey and college hoops

College Hoops 2K was so ahead of its time. No other sports video game has ever been as good as those games, in any sport. They had a legit coaching carousel. You could choose to start a career unemployed and had to apply for open jobs, and you could only get low level jobs. You would be fired for not meeting expectations. You could step down or apply for other jobs while still in one. You had to work your way up to a big program. Or build a program up from nothing. They also had the in depth player recruiting way before NCAA Football by EA as well. Also the way they included the media was good, it wasn't over the top, it was just short and sweet little things. Mini articles, mini tv spots. They had great dressing room coach team talks pre game and at half time. It was just such an amazing game. I'm still so annoyed that this franchise was canceled because of some greedy ******* suing EA over a "likeness" in their college game. **** O'bannon. Or what ever his name is. I hate that guy for killing college sports games. EA gets some blame too, because that player model did look kind of like him. But still. I almost get depressed thinking about how amazing a Choops game would be right now if they had been making them all along. I still play Choops 2K8.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac
College Hoops 2K was so ahead of its time. No other sports video game has ever been as good as those games, in any sport. They had a legit coaching carousel. You could choose to start a career unemployed and had to apply for open jobs, and you could only get low level jobs. You would be fired for not meeting expectations. You could step down or apply for other jobs while still in one. You had to work your way up to a big program. Or build a program up from nothing. They also had the in depth player recruiting way before NCAA Football by EA as well. Also the way they included the media was good, it wasn't over the top, it was just short and sweet little things. Mini articles, mini tv spots. They had great dressing room coach team talks pre game and at half time. It was just such an amazing game. I'm still so annoyed that this franchise was canceled because of some greedy ******* suing EA over a "likeness" in their college game. **** O'bannon. Or what ever his name is. I hate that guy for killing college sports games. EA gets some blame too, because that player model did look kind of like him. But still. I almost get depressed thinking about how amazing a Choops game would be right now if they had been making them all along. I still play Choops 2K8.
Zac with the facts!

For me, CH2K8 is by far the best sports game ever considering where it was at the time. In addition to what you mentioned Zac, there was the AAU circuit, overseas recruits, trophy room with detailed season overviews, weekly highlights, the selection show, ONLINE ROSTER SHARE. We can probably go on & on.

Out of all the games that I'd like to see return, it's ahead of NCAA FB (which is how a lot of us including myself found OS) and a boxing game. My love for college hoops died a little when it was cancelled.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac
I'm still so annoyed that this franchise was canceled because of some greedy ******* suing EA over a "likeness" in their college game.
The College Hoops Series was canceled due to low sales. It has nothing to do with the lawsuit. It was canceled well before the lawsuit was ever filed. The last game released in 2007 and the lawsuit popped up in 2009.

I do agree with the rest of your points.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #7
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
The College Hoops Series was canceled due to low sales. It has nothing to do with the lawsuit. It was canceled well before the lawsuit was ever filed. The last game released in 2007 and the lawsuit popped up in 2009.

I do agree with the rest of your points.
My memory may be wrong, but I remember the sequence being:
1) 2K8 comes out.
2) EA buys exclusive NCAA bball license
3) EA releases 1 or 2 games
4) EA stops making games
5) lawsuit happens

So neither company stopped due to lawsuit. 2k stopped because they lost license and EA stopped due to sales.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
My memory may be wrong, but I remember the sequence being:
1) 2K8 comes out.
2) EA buys exclusive NCAA bball license
3) EA releases 1 or 2 games
4) EA stops making games
5) lawsuit happens

So neither company stopped due to lawsuit. 2k stopped because they lost license and EA stopped due to sales.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app
EA did not buy the exclusive before 2K stopped making games. They acquired it after in a sort "might as well lock it down since we have the market to ourselves right now" scenario.

2K stopped for financial reasons, namely the CLC was asking too much for its license compared to what the game, as great as it was, was bringing in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Other Soccer Games »