Home

Re-Establishing Portuguese Power - EURO 2012

This is a discussion on Re-Establishing Portuguese Power - EURO 2012 within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 4
Wales v. Portugal

October 11th, 2011
Millenium Stadium, Cardiff
Attendance - 72396 (Sell-Out)
Referee - Julio Alcantara (Spain)

PORTUGAL (4-3-3)
Patricio
Coentrao - Alves - Pepe - J. Pereira*
Moutinho - Amorim* - Danny
Varela* - Ronaldo - Nani
Bench:
GK - Beto
CM - Viana
CM - Meireles
CM - Veloso
CB - Rolando
RW - Djalo
RB - Miguel Lopes

Oct 11, 2011 - Portugal vs Wales
TEAM12SCORE
Portugal (5-3-0)123
Wales (3-3-2)011
Team Stats Comparison
PortugalWales
3Goals1
10Shots6
8Shots on Target2
9Tackles7
4Fouls3
2Yellow Cards2
0Red Cards0
0Injuries0
80Shot Accuracy33
82Passing Percentage88

Portugal Heading To Poland/Ukraine for EURO 2012!
Dominating performance all over the pitch help Portuguese claim 1st!

It was quite a night in Cardiff. First off, Denmark defeated Finland earlier in the day, putting the pressure on both Wales and Portugal to pick up three points.

Gary Speed's team had played their way into a position where they controlled their own destiny. A victory, and they would be into a 2nd-place playoff with a spot in the EURO on the line.

As for Carlos Verde's boys, a solitary point would get them into a play-off, while a victory would send them straight to the EURO next June.

Thus, the stage was set for an epic match at, for the first time ever, a sold out Millennium Stadium. 70 000+ for a football match in WALES. Who would have ever imagined that!

The first half was very tense and defensive, with neither team wanting to make that first mistake and find themselves behind the eight ball.

Just on the stroke of halftime, in the 45th minute, Ruben Amorim, making his first start of qualifying, played a long ball seemingly to no one. Then, out of nowhere came a lightning-quick Cristiano Ronaldo, who latched onto the ball, dribbled in on goal, and fired a high hard one past Mayberry to put the visitors up 1-nil at the break.

The 2nd half started with the Welsh desperately attacking, and it paid off.

In the 60th minute, Portuguese right back Joao Pereira took down Aaron Ramsay in the area, and the Welsh had a way back into the match.

However, Ramsay stepped up and thumped his penalty effort off the post and out, so Portugal retained their one-nil lead.

Another shock moment for the crowd came in the 74th, when Cristiano Ronaldo did his typical jig, losing three Welsh defenders in the process, before curling a high shot towards the Welsh goal. Mayberry completely misplayed it, but luckily for the Welsh it bounced off the top of the crossbar and out of play. Crisis averted.

But just two minutes later, Ronaldo made sure that he put the Portuguese up for good, receiving a cross from Nani and half-volleying it past Mayberry to double the seleccao lead and pretty much kill the match.

The game got a bit rough at this point, with Gareth Bale picking up a yellow in an altercation with Bruno Alves.

Then, in the 85th, Ronaldo gave the fans their full money's worth. After being savagely brought down by a vicious tackle from Miedmer which solicited a yellow card, Ronaldo stepped up to take a free kick from 28 yards out. He curled the ball around the wall and under the outstretched arms of Mayberry to complete the hat trick, send Wales home dejected, and kick off the party in Lisbon.

Gareth Bale got a consolation goal in the 89th, but by then it was all over.

3-1 Portugal the final, and manager Verde made sure everyone knew where this team had come from. After the match, he ripped off his suit jacket and dress shirt, and sported a t-shirt which simply stated- "South Africa - NO. Poland/Ukraine - YES."

This team is flashy, dashing, and passionate. And they may just turn some heads next summer in Poland...

-------------------------------------------------------

On-Pitch, Final Whistle:

I can't help it, the tears stream down my face now. We did it. I did it. I saved my job, and we've made it to EURO 2012. Elation is the best word I can find to describe it. Each whistle from the Welsh faithful as we celebrate in our corner with our traveling supporters, each whistle is music to my ears.

I had a heart-to-heart talk with Gary, and he told me he's received an offer from Newcastle United to become their new manager. Great for him. What a great day all around. Time to go do my TV interview!

"
Hello Carlos, congratulations on the accomplishment, Dean Murray here with Sky Sports. What can you say about this moment here in Cardiff tonight?"

"Well I would just like to extend my heartfelt gratitude to two federations- first and foremost, the San Marinese for giving me an opportunity to wet my feet in this game again when no one else would give me the time of day. I will be forever indebted to that nation. And secondly, to the Federation here in Portugal, they've done a great job raising excellent players through their system, and I can't thank them enough for believing in me!"

"Any particular words for your old bosses at Blackburn Rovers?"

"Plenty, but none that are PG-enough for television. They chose a new direction and it didn't involve me. Last I checked they were relegated from the English Premier League last year, so that looks like the direction is really great. Happy for them. Not to mention, my wages are much higher with the Portuguese Federation, haha!"

"Still a great interview as always! Plans going forward to the EURO?"

"Well, first we need to see which other teams will qualify, and then who we get in the group draw. Then we'll begin planning our tournament schedule. I'm very excited. I've never managed at an international tournament before, and I think this is an excellent opportunity both for my players and for me as a manager!"

"I won't keep you any longer, go celebrate with your charges! Tonight Mr. Verde, you, are the toast of Portugal!"

"Thank you Dean, have an excellent season! Nothing but the best to the lads at SkySports!"

"Well that's it then for our coverage from the Millennium Stadium here in Cardiff. It's a dominating performance from the Portuguese and they book themselves a ticket to the 2012 EURO! Manager Carlos Verde returns to the big stage again!"

Currently: Ottawa Senators (NHL 2003)
Old 07-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
Rookie

Group Round-Up

Here's the final run-down for our group:

EURO Qualifying - Group G
TEAMGPWDLPTS
PORTUGAL853018
Denmark844016
Wales834113
Estonia80353
Finland80353

Group A
Auto - Germany
2nd - Belgium

Group B
Auto - Russia
2nd - Slovakia

Group C
Auto - Serbia
2nd - Italy

Group D
Auto - Sweden
2nd - Romania

Group E
Auto - Netherlands
2nd - Hungary

Group F
Auto - Croatia
2nd - Greece

Group G
Auto - Portugal
2nd - Denmark

Group H
Auto - Spain
2nd - Czech Republic

Group I
Auto - England
2nd - Ireland

Best 2nd Place Team (Also Automatic Berth): Belgium (Grp A)

Play-Off Draw
Romania v. Denmark
Czech Rep. v. Rep. of Ireland
Greece v. Italy
Hungary v. Slovakia

Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
Rookie

2nd-place Play-Offs - First match

(home team listed first)

Romania 0:2 Denmark
Krohn-Dehli (63)
Bendtner (79)

Czech Republic 1:1 Rep. of Ireland
Baros (13) - CZE
Keane (79) - IRE

Italy 3:0 Greece
Di Natale (27, 89)
Ranocchia (47)

Hungary 0:1 Slovakia
Vittek (57)

-----------------------------------------------

Thoughts

- It looks as though our group mates Denmark will be joining us in Poland/Ukraine, can't see them allowing three goals at home against Romania.

- Ireland have a very real chance of qualifying, if they can just hold down the fort at home and not give up a goal.

- Italy, despite a 2nd-place scare, will be in Poland/Ukraine, no doubt.

- Looking back, I'm very glad I chose the Portugal offer over the Hungary offer. That national team is just in complete disarray, and are on course to miss their fifth consecutive major tournament!

Old 07-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
Rookie

2nd-place play-off RESULTS

2nd Legs:

Denmark 5:1 Romania
Bendtner (DEN) - 5, 47, 59
Krohn-Dehli (DEN) - 37, 90
Mutu (ROM) - 18
DENMARK wins 7-1 on aggregate.

Rep. of Ireland 0:0 Czech Republic
REP. OF IRELAND WINS 1-1 ON AWAY GOALS.

Greece 1:0 Italy
Gekas - 17
ITALY wins 3-1 on aggregate.

Slovakia 0:0 Hungary
SLOVAKIA win 1-0 on aggregate.

EURO 2012 TEAM LIST
Poland
Ukraine
Germany
Russia
Serbia
Sweden
Netherlands
Croatia
Portugal
Spain
England
Belgium
Denmark
Ireland
Italy
Slovakia

The potting of teams and group draw will be held December 2nd, 2011.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #21
Rookie

Team Pots, EURO 2012 Draw

December 1st, 2011
Kiev, Ukraine
Team Potting

I personally believe we should be a Pot 2 team, though if we miraculously get a Pot 1 designation I wouldn't complain.

Pot 1
Ukraine*
Poland*
Germany
Spain

Pot 2
Netherlands
England
Portugal
Serbia

Pot 3
Italy
Sweden
Croatia
Russia

Pot 4
Belgium
Denmark
Ireland
Slovakia

Thoughts:
Pot 2, about where I figured we would land. There are some brutal Pot 4 teams though. There's such a different in quality between Ireland and Slovakia vs. Belgium and Denmark. On their day, Belgium and Denmark can beat anyone. I don't think Slovakia and Ireland can touch Pot 1 and 2 teams.

Well, the draw awaits...

Dream Group:
Ukraine
PORTUGAL
Sweden
Ireland

Group of Nightmare:
Spain
PORTUGAL
Italy
Denmark

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #22
Rookie

EURO 2012 - Group Draw

EURO 2012 - Group A
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Ukraine
England
Italy
Slovakia

Very interesting group for England, as they draw the worst Pot 1 team (Ukraine), but then draw the best Pot 3 team (Italy). The fact they drew a pushover Pot 4 team (Slovakia) tips the scales and makes this a winnable group for them. I'm seeing England and Italy in no particular order advancing. The host Ukrainians might make something happen, while Slovakia are just lucky to be in the tournament, and probably won't pick up a single point.

EURO 2012 - Group B
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Spain
Serbia
Russia
Belgium

An interesting group sees Spain in the driver's seat with three quality sides. Though none of Belgium, Serbia, and Russia will be a threat to win the tournament, all three can pull of a giant-killing. Spain will have to be very weary in all three matches, as all three boast good offenses. I predict Spain in 1st, and the Pot 4 team (Belgium) advancing in 2nd-place!

EURO 2012 - Group C
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Germany
Netherlands
Sweden
Denmark

Clearly the 'Group of Death,' Group C features four quality sides and two tournament favorites in Netherlands and Germany. Going to be very difficult for both Sweden and Denmark to advance, though I suppose anything's possible!

EURO 2012 - Group D
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Poland
PORTUGAL
Croatia
Rep. of Ireland

Yes boys! A nice group, which we should win as long as we maintain our focus throughout the group stage. Croatia's the only team that should pose any kind of threat, I think we're on a different level than Ireland and Poland. We'll stay frosty. I expect us to win the group and be followed by Croatia!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
Rookie

Team Portugal EURO 2012 Schedule

June 1st, 2012 - Arrive in Poland for main camp (Lodz)
June 5th, 2012 - Tune-up match against Group C's Sweden (Warsaw)
June 11th, 2012 - Poland v. PORTUGAL (Warsaw)
June 15th, 2012 - PORTUGAL v. Rep. of Ireland (Wroclaw)
June 19th, 2012 - PORTUGAL v. Croatia (Warsaw)

Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #24
Rookie

Airport Press Conference

Lodz Regional Airport
June 1st, 2012
3 PM

CV - Hello everybody, I'm very glad to be here in Poland, and my squad has exceptionally high morale thanks to the kind greeting of the people of Lodz. Starting off, I'd like to note that I will not be discussing tactics and formations in this press conference. Now, moving along...questions?

Rep.: Diego Arranzubieta, Marca.COM, are you feeling any of the pressure other managers describe when managing a well-known footballing nation in your first international tournament?

CV - Gracias for the question Diego. No, I'm very comfortable with this group of players as they are with me. We've been together on and off for almost two years now, so I think they know my style and I theirs. We've been looking forward to this since beating Wales back in October, and now that we're here, we plan to make the most of our opportunity.

Rep.: Jack Hobson, Daily Telegraph, any truth to the rumor that Liverpool FC have extended you an offer to manage them for the 2012/13 season?

CV - Mr. Hobson, my sole career goal right now is managing Portugal as best as I can. The Reds have not approached me, but if they did I'd be all ears. I highly doubt that I will ever manage in England again after my unceremonious exit from the EPL back in '06. However, if anything changes, my press secretary will personally make sure you're the first to know.

Rep.: Bom dia Senhor Verde, Joao Porfirio from RTP Sport, who is going to play at Right Back? You've flip-flopped between Fabio Coentrao and Eliseu for the duration of qualifying.

CV - Oh, you know me, I'll probably flip a coin on the day of the Poland match and start whoever calls tails!

Rep.: Is Cristiano Ronaldo completely match fit? He had a nagging ankle injury throughout this past campaign at Real Madrid?

CV - I will not be discussing injuries at this time (Ronaldo's completely fine, I smirk to myself, if Poland want to waste energy figuring out if he's injured or not, their loss).

Rep.: After the choice remarks you made about John Terry and the English national team about a year ago, would you still fancy a match-up with them in the Knockout Round?

CV - I would, I think they are not one of Europe's elite teams. You can quote me on this. Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy. I'd rather play England than those four any day. No more questions? Thanks gentlemen...

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »