Home

The Hot Stove League Thread

This is a discussion on The Hot Stove League Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #57
Mo
SSN

Mo's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: The Hot Stove League Thread

Cubs seek mgr w/ big league managing or coaching experience, so no Ryno.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #58
MVP

jth1331's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashanova
CC has had 59 wins and a world series ring in his tenure with the yankees so far, I'm very happy with that
CC was **** in the postseason this year though, and heck **** last year in the playoffs. Wins is overrated stat.
He pitched very well and really impressed me this year though increasing his K rate. A great year for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
I'm going to laugh if Sandberg gets the Cards job and goes on to become the next great manager in baseball taking the Cards to the postseason nearly every year while the Cubs are bottom dwellers.
5 Heisman Trophy Winners
#1 in weeks ranked #1 in AP Poll
#1 in weeks ranked top 5 in AP Poll
#1 in wins/winning percentage since 1946
Oklahoma Sooners, Boomer Sooner!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #59
john14:6

ghm125's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Squeezy
Grady Sizemore's $9mil option was declined today so he's a free agent, and we picked up Fausto Carmona's $7mil option.

I hope Grady does well wherever he ends up. I fully expect him to sign elsewhere and return to his 2008 form and tear it up for the next 5 years.
would look good in a Reds uniform
Old 11-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #60
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Please don't poach Brian Butterfield

Every year I get a little apprehensive though if he ever leaves i'll wish him a ton of luck.

Anyways i'm hearing rumors that the Cardinals are going after Joe Maddon to be their next manager. This makes WAY too much sense.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #61
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Theo, just give Ryno a chance. The dude wants it SO bad. I think he'll work his *** off and get every little bit of talent out of his team.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #62
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I hear Ryno's going to interview for the Cards job...Imagine if he ends up going there. Really, you can't blame him if he does end up somewhere else. The man's been wanting the job for a long time now and has been passed over every time there's been an opening.

So I wouldn't blame him for managing somewhere else if that's the case.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Squeezy
Dude, come on. If CC "just met expectations" then the expectations were unbelievably high in the first place. He's been pretty much the definition of an ace the whole time he's been with New York. Is it a lot of money? Yes, but that's what happens in baseball, and especially in New York. But to act like they're throwing this kind of cash at a average player is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
1. He's not overpaid
2. He met extremely high expectations, you can't really exceed expectations when your expected to be a legit ace
3. He did not just want more money, and they didn't just give him money just like that. He was essentially a free agent, and they agreed on a very fair deal.
Really guys? He signed a 161 million dollar contract. He's supposed to be an ace and win big games for that money. Yes, he was an ace. That's exactly how he was supposed to be for the money. He doesn't deserve a raise for doing exactly what he was supposed to do, when he was already the highest paid pitcher in the MLB.

He made 5 million more than the next guy, Roy Halladay. Sabathia gets paid a ridiculous amount to be an ace, and win playoff games. He was an ace, he pitches like one in the regular season. That's what you'd expect out of somebody who makes nearly a million dollars a start, no?

If a guy is signed to pitch like an ace, why do you give him more money when he does? All he's doing is fulfilling his end of the deal.

If a ask a kid to buy me a newspaper and I give him .50 cents, I'm not going to give him extra money when he comes back. "hey, you did exactly what I paid you to do, he's some more money for not being lazy and stealing my money."

And the reason I say he is overpaid is because, like I said, he makes 5 million more than Roy Halladay. And he's not better than Roy Halladay. Verlander did much more than him this season and did it for less than half the price.

I didn't make him out to be an average pitcher. He's great. But being the highest paid pitcher by a wide margin, and not being the best pitcher, and not performing well in the postseason, is a fine reason to call him overpaid.

If I was paying a guy 25 million annually until 2017, I'd expect him to be the best pitcher since he is being paid like it.

I'm not ragging on him at all, I'm just simply that not many people are worth that money, and he's not the best at his position. The bottom line is that I gave him that money, I'd expect him to come through in the postseason...be the best in the regular season. That's just how I see it.

Last edited by CabreraMVP; 11-02-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #64
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Again, he had an opt out clause in his contract. Essentially he was a free agent. All this stuff about not deserving more money for doing his job is irrelevant. It's really not any different than if he had signed a 3 year deal with the Yankees and was a free agent now, except that the Yankees were able to work something out before he hit the market, and probably saved some money.

I believe Lee makes more per year than CC. CC is right in line with Santana. Halladay makes less, but Halladay is older. Verlander never hit the open market, that's not a fair comparison. CC makes what he should.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »