Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #8041
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Cubs send Eloy Jimenez, Dylan Cease, and 2 other minor leaguers I haven't heard of across the city for Quintana.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #8042
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Cubs send Eloy Jimenez, Dylan Cease, and 2 other minor leaguers I haven't heard of across the city for Quintana.
I just saw that...I know the Cubs need pitching, but that seems steep for Quintana. That said, the Cubs are in win now mode, so it makes sense. Glad they kept Schwarber!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #8043
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
I just saw that...I know the Cubs need pitching, but that seems steep for Quintana. That said, the Cubs are in win now mode, so it makes sense. Glad they kept Schwarber!
It was, but Jimenez really doesn't have a spot since they love Schwarber so much. Cease was looking good, but minor league pitchers are 50/50 at best. I don't know who the other two guys are.

I would much rather have seen Schwarber dealt, but his stock has to be at an all-time low.

Watch me play video games
Old 07-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #8044
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
It was, but Jimenez really doesn't have a spot since they love Schwarber so much. Cease was looking good, but minor league pitchers are 50/50 at best. I don't know who the other two guys are.

I would much rather have seen Schwarber dealt, but his stock has to be at an all-time low.
I think the key is the Cubs didn't part with any of their MLB talent (Happ, Baez, Schwarber). I think they've botched the Schwarber thing...I said since he came up that he's a DH at best. They could handle his poor defense when he was hitting...now that he's lost his way at the plate you just can't play him.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #8045
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Time to start trade deadline thread?? I will leave that to some eager beaver to do.

Glad to see Theo address a glaring weakness in the rotation. Lester got clobbered for 10 runs inside of an inning, Arrieta has been very meh, Lackey has fallen off of Mount Everest with his HR/9, Hendricks has been ineffective and hurt, Mike Montgomery and Eddie Butler are short-term emergency starters at best (Butler has been rocking a near 1:1 K:BB rate which is horrible).

Certainly Cease + Jimenez seems like a lot, but a comp. round pick and an IFA kid they signed for $3M isn't a huge setback. I do like them both as prospects, but I would also like the Cubs to make the playoffs this year.

EDIT: I'm also excited to see what Quintana can do in the NL vs the AL and playing home games at Wrigley rather than at going down the tubes field. That he's very reasonably priced and under contract to 2020 makes him a huge get as well.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 07-13-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #8046
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Time to start trade deadline thread?? I will leave that to some eager beaver to do.

Glad to see Theo address a glaring weakness in the rotation. Lester got clobbered for 10 runs inside of an inning, Arrieta has been very meh, Lackey has fallen off of Mount Everest with his HR/9, Hendricks has been ineffective and hurt, Mike Montgomery and Eddie Butler are short-term emergency starters at best (Butler has been rocking a near 1:1 K:BB rate which is horrible).

Certainly Cease + Jimenez seems like a lot, but a comp. round pick and an IFA kid they signed for $3M isn't a huge setback. I do like them both as prospects, but I would also like the Cubs to make the playoffs this year.

EDIT: I'm also excited to see what Quintana can do in the NL vs the AL and playing home games at Wrigley rather than at going down the tubes field. That he's very reasonably priced and under contract to 2020 makes him a huge get as well.
Honestly, all of the prospects they gave up are still a ways from proving anything...Jimenez and Cease could completely wash out. To be honest, while Jimenez is a nice prospect, it boggles my mind that some lists have him as the #5 prospect in all of baseball (he's 20 putting up okay numbers at high A) while a guy like Acuna is #86 and has made it to AAA as a 19 year old. I guess my point is, I think the Cubs have given up some very uncertain talent for a proven major league talent that fills a void on their ML roster right now. I think that's a win...if I'm the White Sox, I would have needed to have a Happ/Baez back plus prospects to feel really good about this one.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #8047
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Keep hearing Houston Wants DeGrom, well sorry Houston we aren't trading him.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 07-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #8048
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

I like the move for the White Sox. They suddenly have a slew of high quality prospects. Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Kopech, Fulmer. Alot of pitching talent, to go along with Moncada Robert, and Jimenez among others.

Some of them might be a little ways off, but they are building something on the south side.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »