Home

Who Will Be The Best POINT GUARD In The Next 5-10 Years?

This is a discussion on Who Will Be The Best POINT GUARD In The Next 5-10 Years? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #41
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Who Will Be The Best POINT GUARD In The Next 5-10 Years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepOklahoma
Jashuan Agosto in about 7 years
How old is he now?

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2010, 01:42 AM   #42
Pro

willIam9387's Arena

OVR: 10

Looking at talent, John Wall jumps out, but looking at resume and all-around game to me it's cp3. But I wouldn't be surprised to see John Wall come into the league and turn the wizards around with his defense and speed. I think to get to that elite status he needs to work on his shot and decision-making skills....OH wait I forgot, like everyone does...the best pg just might be Rondo now and in ten years. Rondo rebounds, scores, assists, steals in crunch time situations, when you can put up triple doubles in the playoffs, that's the sign of being elite.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #43
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0rmb11
You hold it against Chris Paul that his offense runs a lot of high screen & rolls? You talk about Utah having a complex offense; screen & rolls are a major part of Sloan's offense. Has been for over 20 years. Same thing with Phoenix. Nash flourishes when they run high screen & rolls.

Chris Paul is at his best when he penetrates and creates for his big men or his spot up shooters in the corners. But where Paul really flourishes is in the open court. His ability to manage and control everyone on his team on the break is a huge strength of his.
I'm saying it is an extremely simple offense that New Orleans employs. His screen/roll and double screen/roll offense is easier to defend than a multi dimensional attack is. Consider that most defenders simply go under the screen and let CP3 fire away to his hearts content (average shooter by the way).
What if a team takes away New Orleans' screens? (Denver in the 09 playoffs) CP3 is simply left to break down his man off the dribble since he can't get into other options in that offense. The Hornets need CP3 to assist or score on almost every posession and consequently his numbers are inflated.

The Jazz do run a healthy dose of screen/roll but their offense is much more diverse. Screen/fades, weak side duck ins, post ups (DWill isn't a pip squeak like Paul), weak side curls, seals, fans, fast breaks, ect.

The Suns do run alot of high screen/rolls but Nash is a much more dangerous shooter than Paul is. Go under the screen you're dead. Nash runs a deadly fast break and doesn't have to stay in to rebound like Paul does. The Suns also have much more going on off the ball. Cutting, fanning, curling, ect.

Even when Paul was healthy his team was perfectly mediocre. Look no further than their shameful performance against the overrated Denver Nuggets in the 09 playoffs.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 07-01-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #44
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

A lot of those things you mentioned AB are on the coach and his offensive philosophy. In the fast break game Paul is still more dangerous than Nash because he is a better finisher. CP3 is a better shooter than you give him credit for too. 08-09 (last full season) he was 50% from the field, 36% from 3, and over 85% from the line. Not a bad true shooting %.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
A lot of those things you mentioned AB are on the coach and his offensive philosophy. In the fast break game Paul is still more dangerous than Nash because he is a better finisher. CP3 is a better shooter than you give him credit for too. 08-09 (last full season) he was 50% from the field, 36% from 3, and over 85% from the line. Not a bad true shooting %.
I agree completely. Yeah, he is a better finisher than Nash is (but Deron Williams is a dominant finisher). His shooting mechanics are too wristy and he leans backwards when he shoots.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #46
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
I agree completely. Yeah, he is a better finisher than Nash is (but Deron Williams is a dominant finisher). His shooting mechanics are too wristy and he leans backwards when he shoots.
No objections there.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #47
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

OVR: 30

No objections to your comments on Paul's shot being...below average (for what you would want out of one of your main scoring options).

And I will agree with most of your points about Nash & D-Will being tougher to defend in the high screen game. But, you said that you agree that the lack of offensive diversity and strategy falls mostly on the coaching. I don't think we can truly say what Chris Paul is and what he isn't until we've seen him in a new system that requires him to be more of a decision maker and to step up more.

I still say that he is a better half court point guard that you are giving him credit for, but I it really is hard for either of us to judge his true talent until he's put in a system (with a coach) that requires him to showcase ALL of his abilities as a point guard and as a leader of an offense.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
You fail to acknowledge that Rondo is a very capable slasher in a half-court set, and doesn't have to get his picking a team apart from 17".
Rondo is horrible, man. Anytime you don't have to guard a guy, especially a guard, I'm sorry he's not elite. Like I said, if Dwill was on Boston, the Lakers would be DONE. And I'm a Lakers fan. The Lakers WANT Rondo scoring a lot of points and grabbing 10 boards. That means they were able to contain PP and Ray Ray and let Rondo get the garbage points. Rondo getting 10 boards also means the other Celtics players aren't rebounding much. Advantage Lakers under both those circumstances.

People look at statistics and drool over Rondo...that's the same people drooling over Zach Randolph or Amare Stoudamire. Vastly overrated players that put up numbers for fantasy value, but they're not nearly as good as their numbers suggest.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »