Home

Who Are The Top 3 Pure Scorers?

This is a discussion on Who Are The Top 3 Pure Scorers? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #169
L Corleone

Weeks's Arena

OVR: 39
Melo plays D as he chooses.

That's pretty much in the playoffs or at the then end of a really close game against another star player.

If he played D like that all the time he could be a top 5 player no doubt, but he doesn't. And when he does it's rare.

The fact that you could remember specific times where he played D is really what I mean. This guy plays hard when he wants to, which is rare. But when he does it's a sight to see
Old 08-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #170
MVP

RedSceptile's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Who Are The Top 3 Pure Scorers?

The thing that aggravates me (and should aggravate other basketball fans) is the fact Carmelo has the physical tools and intangibles to be a great defender. He's got the size as well as speed and strength to guard anyone at the 3 as well as 2's (as someone pointed out his work on Kobe in the WCF sometime back) and even possibly some Points and Power Forwards ala Scottie. When I watch Melo I get upset over how nonchalant and lackadaisical he can be on defense at times when he has the makeup to shut down virtual anyone he wants too if he put the effort in. I'm not a huge LeBron fan but I respect what he's done since he came into the league as a below average defender but has really stepped it up in the past couple of seasons. If Melo would give as much attention to defense as he gives to scoring (even though there are guys who do it more efficiently than he does but I digress) he'd be one of the scariest guys to face since not only would you know he's going to bring it on the offensive side, he's also going to be smirking while frustrating one of your best offensive players. He brings it on the big stage, but if he did it constantly man the dude would be a flat out nightmare. Off topic but just my 2 cents :3
Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #171
L Corleone

Weeks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSceptile
The thing that aggravates me (and should aggravate other basketball fans) is the fact Carmelo has the physical tools and intangibles to be a great defender. He's got the size as well as speed and strength to guard anyone at the 3 as well as 2's (as someone pointed out his work on Kobe in the WCF sometime back) and even possibly some Points and Power Forwards ala Scottie. When I watch Melo I get upset over how nonchalant and lackadaisical he can be on defense at times when he has the makeup to shut down virtual anyone he wants too if he put the effort in. I'm not a huge LeBron fan but I respect what he's done since he came into the league as a below average defender but has really stepped it up in the past couple of seasons. If Melo would give as much attention to defense as he gives to scoring (even though there are guys who do it more efficiently than he does but I digress) he'd be one of the scariest guys to face since not only would you know he's going to bring it on the offensive side, he's also going to be smirking while frustrating one of your best offensive players. He brings it on the big stage, but if he did it constantly man the dude would be a flat out nightmare. Off topic but just my 2 cents :3
I agree with this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #172
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC
I think people are...downplaying Lebron's scoring ability because he is the most physically gifted player to ever enter the league (the Moss of the NBA so to speak). The reason why people don't consider Lebron a pure scorer is because of the fact they probably feel disgusted at the way he bulldozes over people on his way to the rim. It's simplistic. Shaq's game was simplistic, but you get concessions because you're a big man. A center. When you're a perimeter player like Lebron..and your whole game consists of bullying yourself to the rim people aren't going to appreciate the way you play. They just see it as relying on his athleticism(which he is, but there's nothing wrong with that).

Melo is the same as Lebron. He bullies his way to the rim. But, at least he has the brains to do so in the post, where you're EXPECTED to bully people. Lebron does so when his whole game revolves around his dribble so much. I don't blame him though. Hell, if I was that big,strong, and fast, I'd be doing the same damn thing, and rubbing it in your face to boot.

I would like to point out that Lebron has a better 3 Pointer than both Melo and Kobe. Just sayin'.
That's because he's consistently played to drive and routinely has more breathing room than Kobe or Melo ever has on the perimeter.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #173
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiGodzillla
That's because he's consistently played to drive and routinely has more breathing room than Kobe or Melo ever has on the perimeter.
Last year, LeBron shot .8 threes per game less than Kobe and more than Carmelo.

Also, Carmelo was assisted on 90% of his threes in Denver and 77% in NY compared to LeBron's 61% last year. That tells me that most of Carmelo's threes are the open, catch-and-shoot variety, as opposed to LeBron's pull up threes. And that also tells me that Carmelo has plenty of breathing room on the perimeter if he is open so often.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #174
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
Explain to me how scoring isn't James' craft and how scoring wasn't Shaq's craft. When you put up that kind of production for almost a decade, at what point would scoring become their crafts? Just because James hasn't scratched the surface of his offensive potential doesn't mean it isn't "his craft".

I really don't care about pure scoring or what have you, I just want people to explain how James is an overrated scorer and how scoring just isn't his craft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
I understand that completely.

LeBron is definitely a maestro but at the same time, scoring is most definitely one of his biggest strengths. History proves this. Just because he is an excellent all around player hardly means scoring isn't his craft or his thing.
You guys are way too busy trying to defend Lebron to see the point. I never said he was an overrated scorer, and bc of whoever did you want to make the idea of not being a pure scorer a negative thing.

It's not a question of whether or not he can score (of course he can and does), it's how he scores. Like Shaq, like Moss, he's so good at what he does well, he doesn't need to be
"crafty". I'd say he goes away from his strengths too much as it is. Scoring isn't so much his "craft" it's what he does. He doesn't have to try to score to be an all star. As mentioned, he likes to play like Magic but still is top 3 in the league in scoring. It just happens.

I think of a pure scorer is someone who has perfected the craft of scoring from any situation. James hasn't done that. The point is that it's insane that he's still a better scorer than the pure scorers in the league. And if/when he perfects the craft he could be better than anyone we've ever seen before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
@wwharton

I actually wasn't talking to you. I read your post about how Melo, Dirk, PP etc. all have different ways to beat you so you don't know how to guard them, but that people know what LeBron is doing it's whether or not you'll stop him.

As for my post you quoted. I was just replying to everyone or whatever, and it wasn't directed towards you.

I just meant that people aren't giving LeBron credit for his skills because he is able to bully people around and get good shots while the other guys take shots that require less contact and have a higher degree of difficulty so they look better and more "pure". A contact layup doesn't look nearly as good as a swished jumpshot, and that's why I think people don't think LeBron has any skills.

Believe me or not, the post you quoted wasn't directed towards you. But rather to everyone in the thread who doesn't think LeBron is pure.

in reply to your post: since what he does works, don't fix something that is not broken. I don't see a reason why he should stop attacking the rim if he can get a high % shot most of the time. I think. Pierce, Dirk, Melo are all phenomenal offensive players and that they are pure. But I also think being able to get a High percent shot at will, while also having other part of your game to go to is just as pure.

And if anyone says LeBron doesn't have other parts to his game besides driving, then I don't even know what to say...
My point was that you weren't replying to me. Your reply read like you didn't see my post at all, which answered the question when you posted it before. Not saying you have to agree with me, but at least say why you disagree. I'd like to think my post made so much sense, you ignored it bc it ruined your argument... but I know I'm not right all that much, lol.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #175
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSceptile
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #176
L Corleone

Weeks's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
My point was that you weren't replying to me. Your reply read like you didn't see my post at all, which answered the question when you posted it before. Not saying you have to agree with me, but at least say why you disagree. I'd like to think my post made so much sense, you ignored it bc it ruined your argument... but I know I'm not right all that much, lol.
ok whatever lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »