Home

The 'What If...' Thread

This is a discussion on The 'What If...' Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #41
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: The 'What If...' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady

Wilt would post bigger numbers than that. The only guy who could even come close to him in strength is Shaq. He had an effective playing height of a 7'4 guy and he had incredible vertical quickness. The only problem I could see is that he would have a bit of trouble adjusting to the double teams.
Eh. Wilt being able to dominate in this era is nothing special. While I agree with your assessment of Wilt playing in today’s game, it’ll be strictly circumstantial. The center position in today’s game is so weak, a prime Wilt would probably be the best center in the league right now. Prime Wilt wouldn’t be scoring 50 points a game, BUT he’ll garner numbers that would make him a 1st team All NBA center. Heck, throw a prime Vlade Divac in today’s game would probably be the 2nd best center in the league.

NOW, the interesting scenario would be to throw Wilt into the early-to-mid 90’s era where the center position was probably the best it ever was with prime-Olajuwon, prime-Robinson, prime-Ewing, young-Shaq, young-Mourning, young-Mutombo, young-Vlade and even Brad Daugherty before injuries ended his career early. See where Wilt fits into that mix.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
Eh. Wilt being able to dominate in this era is nothing special. While I agree with your assessment of Wilt playing in today’s game, it’ll be strictly circumstantial. The center position in today’s game is so weak, a prime Wilt would probably be the best center in the league right now. Prime Wilt wouldn’t be scoring 50 points a game, BUT he’ll garner numbers that would make him a 1st team All NBA center. Heck, throw a prime Vlade Divac in today’s game would probably be the 2nd best center in the league.

NOW, the interesting scenario would be to throw Wilt into the early-to-mid 90’s era where the center position was probably the best it ever was with prime-Olajuwon, prime-Robinson, prime-Ewing, young-Shaq, young-Mourning, young-Mutombo, young-Vlade and even Brad Daugherty before injuries ended his career early. See where Wilt fits into that mix.
Agreed on the state of the center position in today's game. Depressing. Relatively speaking, the 90s centers were far superior to today's guys. However, Wilt would still be the top guy in that era in my estimation.

Olajuwon was unstoppable and he scored on drives, spins, drop steps, turnarounds, and hooks. His man defense, shot blocking, and rebounding were all terrific. His weaknesses were passing and foul trouble. Hakeem was truly great, but Wilt was the slightly better player.

Robinson's best apect was his outstanding shot blocking ability. He scored mainly on foul line jumpers and lefty drives. He couldn't defend straight up. Nor could he pass, handle, score in creative ways, or deliver in the clutch. Wilt was a far superior player to Robinson.

Ewing was a terrific shot blocker. His offense was jumpers and rolling hooks. He couldn't defend his own man. Passing, handling, diverse scoring, and reliability in the clutch were other weaknesses. Wilt in a landslide.

Young Shaq was much slimmer then. His scoring was highly unpredictable as he scored on drop steps, tight spins, hooks, and twists. His rebounding and shot blocking was top notch in those days. His passing wasn't refined yet though and he was a turnover machine. Great as he was, he hadn't figured out how to truly win yet. Wilt by a slim margin.

Alonzo Mourning tried to block every shot and actually got some of them. On offense he scored on jumpers and rolling hooks. His weaknesses were man defense, passing, handling, and doing anything useful in the clutch. Wilt by a TKO.

Dikembe Mutumbo was a truly great man defender, shot blocker, and rebounder. However, his scoring wasn't diverse and he couldn't pass or handle. Also not sure how 'young' he was back then either. Wilt by a sizeable margin.

Vlade Divac was a good passer. He couldn't defend, score with creativity, rebound in a crowd, or make a clutch shot if his life depended on it. Wilt would steal his breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Brad Daugherty was a solid scorer and a good passer. But he couldn't defend or rebound at a high level. Wilt has the gigantic edge.

Based on their respective games:

1. Wilt
2. Hakeem
3. Shaq
4. Robinson
5. Mutombo
6. Ewing
7. Mourning
8. Daugherty
9. Divac

Last edited by AlexBrady; 08-23-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 24

What if Shaq stayed in Orlando with a healthy Penny? They did make it to the Finals in like Shaq's second year, I think.

What if Kobe never did what he did in Colorado and he and Shaq stayed teammates? Would LA have about 6 or 7championships by now?

What if Yao was a truly dominant player without injury issues? Where would Houston be today?

And, sorry Seattle fans, but what if the new owner of OKC kept the team in Seattle and they were this good? Would the fanbase be strong?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #44
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
Agreed on the state of the center position in today's game. Depressing. Relatively speaking, the 90s centers were far superior to today's guys. However, Wilt would still be the top guy in that era in my estimation.

Olajuwon was unstoppable and he scored on drives, spins, drop steps, turnarounds, and hooks. His man defense, shot blocking, and rebounding were all terrific. His weaknesses were passing and foul trouble. Hakeem was truly great, but Wilt was the slightly better player.

Robinson's best apect was his outstanding shot blocking ability. He scored mainly on foul line jumpers and lefty drives. He couldn't defend straight up. Nor could he pass, handle, score in creative ways, or deliver in the clutch. Wilt was a far superior player to Robinson.

Ewing was a terrific shot blocker. His offense was jumpers and rolling hooks. He couldn't defend his own man. Passing, handling, diverse scoring, and reliability in the clutch were other weaknesses. Wilt in a landslide.

Young Shaq was much slimmer then. His scoring was highly unpredictable as he scored on drop steps, tight spins, hooks, and twists. His rebounding and shot blocking was top notch in those days. His passing wasn't refined yet though and he was a turnover machine. Great as he was, he hadn't figured out how to truly win yet. Wilt by a slim margin.

Alonzo Mourning tried to block every shot and actually got some of them. On offense he scored on jumpers and rolling hooks. His weaknesses were man defense, passing, handling, and doing anything useful in the clutch. Wilt by a TKO.

Dikembe Mutumbo was a truly great man defender, shot blocker, and rebounder. However, his scoring wasn't diverse and he couldn't pass or handle. Also not sure how 'young' he was back then either. Wilt by a sizeable margin.

Vlade Divac was a good passer. He couldn't defend, score with creativity, rebound in a crowd, or make a clutch shot if his life depended on it. Wilt would steal his breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Brad Daugherty was a solid scorer and a good passer. But he couldn't defend or rebound at a high level. Wilt has the gigantic edge.

Based on their respective games:

1. Wilt
2. Hakeem
3. Shaq
4. Robinson
5. Mutombo
6. Ewing
7. Mourning
8. Daugherty
9. Divac
Not sure about the passing evaluation you have for Olajuwon. I thought Olajuwon was one of the best passing centers in the NBA. The Rockets back then would have not been successful with their "4-out 1-in" motion offense if Olajuwon was no better than an average passer at his position. His ability to read the defense and find the spot up shooters when teams crowded him was remarkable. He would also find the cutters like Horry when the defenses tightened up on the perimeter. The Magic in the 90's tried to run the same offense and failed when they got deep into the playoffs because Shaq's passing ability was not honed at the time. The key man like the center had to be a solid-to-great passer in this type of offense and Olajuwon provided this for his team.

And as much as you crucify some of these center's 'clutch' abilities, from my understanding, Wilt wasn't as clutch as I read him to be either. As supremely talented as Wilt was back then, people would argue that Bill Russell was the best center in the league at the time. And Wilt was much more talented than Russell.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #45
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSceptile
That's my point. If anything Kobe would probably have the title of best Shooting Guard in NBA history if Jordan never won any rings (best player ever? Well that's up to you to decide :3)
What if's are just that... but you have to think of the nature of basketball. Unlike football (and baseball even) it's much easier for a player with insane skill to be a huge difference in a championship team. In short, Jordan would've had to not be Jordan to not win any championships. It wasn't just a "right place/right time" thing. Maybe not win as many or maybe not win as early but there's no way he wouldn't have won a single one unless you're changing his make up as a person, athlete and player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
Not sure about the passing evaluation you have for Olajuwon. I thought Olajuwon was one of the best passing centers in the NBA. The Rockets back then would have not been successful with their "4-out 1-in" motion offense if Olajuwon was no better than an average passer at his position. His ability to read the defense and find the spot up shooters when teams crowded him was remarkable. He would also find the cutters like Horry when the defenses tightened up on the perimeter. The Magic in the 90's tried to run the same offense and failed when they got deep into the playoffs because Shaq's passing ability was not honed at the time. The key man like the center had to be a solid-to-great passer in this type of offense and Olajuwon provided this for his team.

And as much as you crucify some of these center's 'clutch' abilities, from my understanding, Wilt wasn't as clutch as I read him to be either. As supremely talented as Wilt was back then, people would argue that Bill Russell was the best center in the league at the time. And Wilt was much more talented than Russell.
I was nitpicking a bit on Hakeem's passing. He would throw some wild passes especially when he was doubled on the move. Certainly not a crushing flaw but he wasn't Walton, Wilt, or Russell in the passing game. Good observations though on the Rockets offense.

You're right Wilt wasn't as dominant in the clutch as he should have been. He could still pin fouls on the other team though and his fade-a-way shot and fingeroll were unstoppable against tired guys. His big problem was the free throw shooting.

Russell and Wilt were both supremely talented. Russell's big edge was his competitiveness compared to Wilt. No shame in not being as good as Russell though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »