Home

Sound Off: Is Lebron the Guy You Want Taking the Final Shot for the Heat?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Is Lebron the Guy You Want Taking the Final Shot for the Heat? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 13
Be a "CLOSER" and hitting a "CLUTCH" shot is what got people head messed up...

Kobe is a "closer" and have have hit "clutch" shots when it matters most. He have also miss or take a bad shot but the difference between the two is that you will not see Bryant shy away from a big moment. Miss or make and dont give a two cents what the media or anyone else think...Champion!!!

Lebron is no "closer" and he shy away in "clutch" moments when they matter most. James do show glimpses of being clutch and have hit big shots though but disappear at times when it matter the most. Incredible Athlete blessed with a special talent that worry what critics and media think of him...No heart!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #42
MVP

MelMan1486's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Sound Off: Is Lebron the Guy You Want Taking the Final Shot for the Heat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanner
Yes
http://chasing23.com/kobe-bryant-vs-...winning-shots/

And MelMan, your shot comparison doesn't say anything really. Kobe has also been in the league 7 more years so wouldn't it make sense he'd take more shots compared to Lebron, or am I missing something there?
You're right I didn't even take that into account. But still there have been times where it seems when the games on the line Lebron dissapears, there have been a couple games where I'm saying "where's Lebron" and he's sitting over at the corner of the 3pt line standing there. It just doesn't seem like he has the "give me the ball" mentality when the games on the line. And that's fine but when you're dubbed The King and are the most athletic and gifted player in the league you need to have that mentality. He doesn't need to be chucking up every game winning or losing shot everytime, but he should be touching the ball and running the play through him everytime the games on the line... maybe that's the coaches responsiblity though.

Last edited by MelMan1486; 05-18-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #43
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
You talking about 2007/2008? THAT Lebron was a different Lebron, a kid having fun playing the game. Not the same because he started being scrutinized after passing to Damon Jones for a wide open look, and everyone began the "Is he clutch" talk...

He'd get 3 quarters through his answer and then stop...

To answer the question, you give him the ball. He is as intelligent of a basketball player that there is in the game, let him read the situation. If he takes the shot, the shot needed to be taken by him. If he drives and dishes, it was "probably" the right basketball play. LBJ has GREAT knowledge of the game, and how to make the right play. He just doesn't force the issue when history has shown us that he should (if he wants a clutch label).

The Buzzer beaters that Jordan made, Kobe made, the greats before him have made, weren't technically the "right" basketball play for the "team", but because they had supreme confidence in their individual game, they went against the grain, rose up and took the shot.

And therein lies part of the problem. Lebron has confidence in his Team game, and his individual game is "behind" because of it. Best true talent in the game today, but isn't and probably will never be a selfish enough player, that the greats before him have conditioned us to believe is clutch.
Really good post, man.

As many have already mentioned, this is asking the wrong question... and it's really annoying hearing ex coaches and players who know better running with this angle. It's not about who takes the last shot. The last shot should be the one with the greatest chance of going in. Since we're using the Lakers game as an example, an open 3 for Blake has a greater chance of going in than a shot by Kobe with 3 guys guarding him.

The real problem is the idea that getting the ball to the player you want to shoot and running an iso is the best way to approach the situation. Of course it worked for Jordan bc he's Jordan. But digging even deeper, guys like Kobe and Pierce have the type of game for it as well (on occasion). James is not that player. Wade is to a certain extent, but when he's on a team with James and Bosh, there are many other scenarios that would create better chances of them scoring than running an iso for Wade (or James).

You shouldn't be predictable but the best play imo for a healthy Heat team would be getting the ball to James with Bosh setting a high screen at the top of the key intended to open a drive for James to the side of the court Wade is on. LBJ either goes to the hoop, hits Bosh on the roll or Wade on the wing if his man collapses to help. If the ball goes to Wade, Bosh is in position to flash the paint and James circles around for a potential kick back.

There are other options too, but if you're not setting a pick of some sort for Lebron I don't like him having the ball... way too much thinking for him in these situations and he's got internal battles in his head on what the right thing to do is to win the game vs to silence critics if it doesn't work. In these cases I'd like to see James set a screen for someone then open up to get the ball posting, and make a QUICK decision once he catches it then (he's been much better at this part of his game this year but the QUICK part would be most important here). Otherwise, I'd like to see them run James off a number of screens, almost Ray Allen style so he gets the ball and can either immediately drive or shoot.

When we talk about Paxson and Kerr and other situations like that, the important thing is the attention the superstar is getting from the defense that creates the open looks for these guys. When you run that iso play, the defense can get in position physically and mentally for whatever you're going to try to do. If the play is built for James to take the shot (which it should be in most cases), the defense needs more to think about. This can happen if he's catching the ball off a pass and just deciding to drive or shoot right away (bc the D would have to be worried about the ball handler as well as James); or if he's getting a high screen which forces a double rotation if it's a proper screen, and at least gets them out of position for one of a couple of good passing options.

As far as what the media is going on about, the real question should be "Who can finish a game better the way Jordan did?" And the answer to that would be Wade, but to the coach it should be nobody.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 14

i dont think people understand the difference between being a closer and being clutch.

a closer is the guy who seals the deal when ur team is up or barely hanging onto the lead in the last few mins or seconds aka "kobe"

being clutch is hitting a shot when down or tied aka "robert horry"

look at kobe stats 7/27 thats 25% with those odds your better having someone else take the shot 75% of the time.

Even Phil Jackson thought kobe shot too many last second shots when others where open.

While lebron might not be "clutch" i think he's a great closer, maybe someone can find the stats of how many comeback loses he has in the final 2 mins
Vic: Well, in one, one girl wins. In the other....
Kenny: Everyone wins?!?!

Captain Tenneal: Get it on!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #45
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaImmaculateONe
i dont think people understand the difference between being a closer and being clutch.

a closer is the guy who seals the deal when ur team is up or barely hanging onto the lead in the last few mins or seconds aka "kobe"

being clutch is hitting a shot when down or tied aka "robert horry"

look at kobe stats 7/27 thats 25% with those odds your better having someone else take the shot 75% of the time.

Even Phil Jackson thought kobe shot too many last second shots when others where open.

While lebron might not be "clutch" i think he's a great closer, maybe someone can find the stats of how many comeback loses he has in the final 2 mins
That's not how you work the percentages in that situation. That would assume that there is a combination of scenarios where always picking the correct one would get you to 100%

Throwing out the numbers for how many shots these guys take and/or make is actually just clouding things even more than they already are. If they want to present these numbers in a meaningful way they should show where Kobe, Lebron, etc. rank in terms of the rest of the league... or among everyone who's ever played in the NBA.

We're conditioned to thinking getting a hit 33% of the time is a great season in baseball bc we know the rest of the story. I have no idea why the picture's being painted that making 25% of the shots in the last 5 seconds of a game is not, without any evidence to say either way.

Now 0/7 (Kobe) is bad, and 0/11 (Lebron) is bad. But we still don't know HOW bad without seeing what EVERYONE else that even dares to take a shot in those situations is doing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #46
Rookie

nightwing95's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Yes, this whole last second shot thing is getting ridiculous. It's all media driven mainly by ESPN. ESPN has talk radio, internet stories, Sportscenter, tv debate shows dictate what is and isn't big news and they turn everything Lebron does into ridiculously outblown news. Jordan was never under a microscope if he missed a last second shot. Kobe and Durant both have missed last second shots but nobody bats an eye or considers them failures or unclutch.

This guy can't win. If he does it in the regular season it's not a big deal because it isn't Game 7 of the NBA Finals. If he fails in the regular season it's the end of the world. He's the only one who has remained healthy all year, he's been the only consistent on that team. Wade was hurt, Bosh is hurt, Lebron is always there night in and night out playing defense and giving 26+, 6+, 6+ but it's not enough.

I've never seen a player get criticized under the microscope he is under. Not even Peyton Manning or A-Rod.
It doesnt matter who takes the damn shot. If it goes in good, if not oh well. Lebron misses just as much as anyone else in the league (wade, kobe, durant, etc.) but he is constantly targeted by the media. Why does he even have to take the shot? Shouldnt his team be winning anyway?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 22
Yes! He can get to the basket, score and/or draw a foul whenever he pleases.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #48
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

OVR: 7

Forget who takes the last shot, cause I've seen plenty of instances where James harden takes the last shot for OKC even though Durant is on the floor with him ( although Durant seems to be making an art form of the clutch shot in these playoffs)... I'd be content with either born or wade taking the shot because their both great players, to my mind it all depends on the match-ups they are facing

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »