Home

Is it me or is attendance real low this year?

This is a discussion on Is it me or is attendance real low this year? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: Is it me or is attendance real low this year?

ESPN has attendance numbers at http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

These must cost tickets sold and not people actually coming to the games. Not that the NBA cares, they got their money already.

Somehow the Bulls are over 100%. How the heck does that happen?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #26
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk

These must cost tickets sold and not people actually coming to the games. Not that the NBA cares, they got their money already.

Goes to show that those numbers are inflated. Also, all star weekend was a bust too. Place didn't get full Saturday till the dunk contest.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #27

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, attendance always counts tickets sold,not those who attend.

I think you can have over 100% with standing room only sections and box suites I believe?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #28
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

They do take a real time attendance count....ill have to find the article.. Charlotte was near the top of the list of 'actual attendance' last year surprisingly...

TBH, the eye test isnt really all that accurate of a way to get a good take on the state of attendance either. A lot of it depends on when/where you look during the course of the game.

Just about every Miami game looks like an empty arena on the TV side until the start of the 2nd, lol...
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #29

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
They do take a real time attendance count....ill have to find the article.. Charlotte was near the top of the list of 'actual attendance' last year surprisingly...

TBH, the eye test isnt really all that accurate of a way to get a good take on the state of attendance either. A lot of it depends on when/where you look during the course of the game.

Just about every Miami game looks like an empty arena on the TV side until the start of the 2nd, lol...
Some games I've seen, the announced attendance clearly isn't anywhere close to number of people there.

One game in the past, I remember there was some storm so people could barely go, but announced attendance was still huge, meaning they had to have counted the sold tickets.

I also wonder if teams exaggerated number. In WWE, Vince McMahon said how last year's WrestleMania attendance number included non paying people too. In other words everyone in the stadium (security,ushers,vendors ect.). Maybe pro teams sometimes do this too?

Last edited by Majingir; 02-20-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #30
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Some games I've seen, the announced attendance clearly isn't anywhere close to number of people there.

One game in the past, I remember there was some storm so people could barely go, but announced attendance was still huge, meaning they had to have counted the sold tickets.

I also wonder if teams exaggerated number. In WWE, Vince McMahon said how last year's WrestleMania attendance number included non paying people too. In other words everyone in the stadium (security,ushers,vendors ect.). Maybe pro teams sometimes do this too?
Oh, no doubt the reports, like the ones on ESPN are sold tickets....but I do believe they take an actual count as well....or at least % of arena filled.

and yeah, VKM is the master of this...theres a 'new Wrestlemania record' every year, lol
Old 02-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #31

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Oh, no doubt the reports, like the ones on ESPN are sold tickets....but I do believe they take an actual count as well....or at least % of arena filled.

and yeah, VKM is the master of this...theres a 'new Wrestlemania record' every year, lol
Not exactly.....The record last year broke a 29 year old record which has also been debated for same reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #32
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

Ahhh i just had a epiphany. The reason why I beleived attendance is low is due to HDTV. High def viewing lets you see up into the stands and spot more empty seats compared to the old way of watching when the camera was more focused on the court so the crowd used to look like a blur. Thats my revelation. Nothing to see here lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »