Home

Is it me or is attendance real low this year?

This is a discussion on Is it me or is attendance real low this year? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Is it me or is attendance real low this year?

From the games I've watched so far this year it seems like fans aren't filing up the stands like in years past. Watching that Houston game last night made me think about it. That place was empty for a nationally televised game. Definitely something I've been noticing with other teams too. I've also seen Bulls Saturday home games with a empty stadium. The Warriors and Cavs are the exception, they seem to sell out. Other teams seem to be struggling.

What are you guys thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Is it me or is attendance real low this year?

I would think last night's game is Houston was a result of having the Super Bowl in town. People probably wanted nothing to do with that mess.

Attendance seems normal to be me. See for yourself...

http://scorecenter.espn.go.com/nba/a...vg&order=false
Old 02-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

Do they count ticket sells towards attendance? If so, those numbers would be a bit inflated. I know most of the ticket vendors(stubhub, etc) buy so many tickets but don't sell them all.

Being a lifelong Bulls fan, it disturbs me when I see the UC empty. Even on a Saturday where those games always sold out.

Also, would it have anything to do with the fair-weather fans lack of interest? The NBA has seemed to create this diversity where everyone and their momma knows it will be a Cavs-Warriors finals.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Also, would it have anything to do with the fair-weather fans lack of interest? The NBA has seemed to create this diversity where everyone and their momma knows it will be a Cavs-Warriors finals.
If there is any decline in interest, I think this would be 99% of the reason. Half the clubs have pretty much given up (and it's not even the All-Star break yet) and even the semi-contenders have no real significant chance of actually winning the title. If you're an 8-seed by record at this point, is a more desirable outcome getting swept out of the 1st round or getting yourself into the lottery?
Old 02-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 6

Yea, that's the big negative on the NBA. I've gotten to the point where I don't even care about the end result really and just try and enjoy the ride along the way/lead up to it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2017, 01:03 AM   #6
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

It is superbowl weekend but the beginning of that Rockets game was wild lol. Seats were empty as heck.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #7
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

This has been going on even prior to this weekend.

I remember when the Warriors came to Houston a few weeks back and you definitely could see quite a few rows/sections of empty seats. Mind you, this was midway in the 2nd quarter.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #8

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Do they count ticket sells towards attendance? If so, those numbers would be a bit inflated. I know most of the ticket vendors(stubhub, etc) buy so many tickets but don't sell them all.
Tickets sold/given away count. Amount of people who attend doesn't.

I really hope one day these leagues are able to stop people from buying up all tickets just to turn around and make a profit. Or like here in Toronto where scalping is a major business and companies even buy season tickets, giving half to employees for business purposes (meaning you get lots of "suits" in the stands) and other half gets sold so that company covers the cost of their business expenses.

Nothing wrong with people selling tickets if they bought them with intent to go, only to not be able to afterwards. But unfortunately with sites like stubhub, people can charge whatever they want.

But I don't think leagues care as much because while those people might make a profit, if the league's did try banning this type of stuff, they risk not selling as many tickets to games with them only having fans buying tickets.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »