Home

2017 Western Conference Playoffs - 2nd Round Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 2017 Western Conference Playoffs - 2nd Round Discussion Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #73
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: 2017 Western Conference Playoffs - 2nd Round Discussion Thread

Pretty much...if we were in the game we probably would have seen more adjustments....

Kawhi on the best opposing player for the entire game is rarely going to be the plan...we cant afford that anymore...

We also need to get LMA more involved...while he hasn't been playing great hes not really involved in the game plan...
Old 05-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #74
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
I think the reason you don't see Kawhi on Harden is because he's your team's best offensive player as well as defensive. And so the fear is that he gets into foul trouble and you have no one to run the offense. I'm betting the plan (and it's good coaching) was to have Kawhi lock him down in the 4th but the game was over by that point. It'll be interesting to see if they go with Kawhi on James earlier in game 2.
Yeah, I get that. But don't forget the Spurs have Danny Green. I don't care if it's the 1st quarter or the 4th, LA/Gasol don't belong in the vicinity as James Harden.

Employ Danny Green, Jonathon Simmons at times and Kawhi in the 4th. But Gasol and Aldridge are probably one of the worst perimeter bigs on the defensive end, and you put them on the best offensive player in the league.

Pop is the truth, but that's a comical gameplan or bad execution on the team's part.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #75
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

What about playing Kawhi at the 4?

Is there a difference in the team's play when he's there at times? I mean I assume it'd be a better option than continually dropping Lee/Gasol out there and watching them get abused on switches or even with Anderson on the perimeter where he's pulling them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #76
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
I think the reason you don't see Kawhi on Harden is because he's your team's best offensive player as well as defensive. And so the fear is that he gets into foul trouble and you have no one to run the offense. I'm betting the plan (and it's good coaching) was to have Kawhi lock him down in the 4th but the game was over by that point. It'll be interesting to see if they go with Kawhi on James earlier in game 2.

Yeah, Im sure that was the case, Pop just trying to save Kawhi's energy by not guarding Harden. Only way Spurs win this series is if Kawhi locks up Harden, and goes off Offensively.

It was still shocking to see the Spurs look so bad last night. Kawhi's got to have some help. Its not like any of Dantoni's teams are tough and physcial on defense, so LA has to be a force, and man up.

I figure it was just 1 of those nights, it can happen, but it just odd to see the Spurs look that bad in the playoffs.

If I was a Spurs fan, I would be a tad bit concerned that my team was the team that looked old and slow, let alone looked liked the softest team on the floor, when your playing a D'antoni team.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 05-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #77
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Wait til they play the warriors.

The rules changes have everything to do with this working right now anyway...

Still, i don't consider that fat dude a genius or anything close to it.

Yeah rule changes allow this style to be more successful now days, than in the past. With that said D'antoni's system hasnt proven anything yet, none of his teams have ever reached a finals. You still have to value defense to some extent.
I thought it was funny when I seen D'antoni when he got hired, say watching the Warriors the past couple years, made him know his way can win championships. I guess he neglected the fact that the Warriors still value defense, and if it wasnt for that defense they wouldnt have even made it to the finals, let alone winning it all.

If the Rockets due beat the Spurs, and play the Warriors in the WCF, it will be entertaining from a offensive standpoint with both teams running and gunning 3's.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 05-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #78
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
Yeah rule changes allow this style to be more successful now days, than in the past. With that said D'antoni's system hasnt proven anything yet, none of his teams have ever reached a finals. You still have to value defense to some extent.
I thought it was funny when I seen D'antoni when he got hired, say watching the Warriors the past couple years, made him know his way can win championships. I guess he neglected the fact that the Warriors still value defense, and if it wasnt for that defense they wouldnt have even made it to the finals, let alone winning it all.

If the Rockets due beat the Spurs, and play the Warriors in the WCF, it will be entertaining from a offensive standpoint with both teams running and gunning 3's.
Sometimes that style isn't fun at all to watch.

Even with the Warriors when that stuff isn't dropping these kinds of coaches don't seem to have a plan B.

I'd like to see some guys work in the post/high post area sometimes to mix it up, open up space for others on the perimeter, not just by chucking 3's all game.

That can definitely come back to bite you.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #79
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
Yeah, I get that. But don't forget the Spurs have Danny Green. I don't care if it's the 1st quarter or the 4th, LA/Gasol don't belong in the vicinity as James Harden.

Employ Danny Green, Jonathon Simmons at times and Kawhi in the 4th. But Gasol and Aldridge are probably one of the worst perimeter bigs on the defensive end, and you put them on the best offensive player in the league.

Pop is the truth, but that's a comical gameplan or bad execution on the team's part.
You don't really think Pop EVER assigned LA or Gasol to guard Harden, do you?
Old 05-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #80
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
You don't really think Pop EVER assigned LA or Gasol to guard Harden, do you?
Not at all. But I think his gameplan was to switch, which puts a big on the offensive player 70% of the time. And Houston runs mostly pick n rolls.

Do you think that is a good gameplan?

Edit: Why not trap Harden on pick and rolls or hedge is where I'm lost.

Last edited by Nevertheles109; 05-02-2017 at 04:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »