Home

2017 Western Conference Playoffs - 2nd Round Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 2017 Western Conference Playoffs - 2nd Round Discussion Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #65
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: 2017 Western Conference Playoffs - 2nd Round Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
It's just hard to guard a high pick and roll when the ball handler is James Harden and the screener is Ryan Anderson having a hot night. Doesn't really matter who the defenders are or what the rule changes are. There isn't a proper way to defend it when both can shoot that well, from that far, and the ball handler has maybe the best ball control in the league and draws fouls better than anyone in the league. You're at their mercy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the biggest factor was Harden's decision-making, especially in the pick and roll. If they tried to hedge and recover he drove to the basket, if they switched he abused the bigger guy, if they doubled it was a lob to Clint, if they tried to front him/deny the ball, he'd slip backdoor. His basketball IQ was just off the charts this game and he always seemed to make the right play. I think he had 14 of the team's 30 assists. The unselfishness and leadership to make sure everyone else got gong and putting winning above all else is what amazes me. Watching Harden take that next step this season has been a joy to watch. He could have easily been the next Melo. Instead he's really maturing.

MDA talked about how they don't run plays (except out of timeouts). He said they basicallly put the ball in James' hands and trust that he'll make the right decision depending on what the defense gives him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #66
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

For games 3 and 4. Dope...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Old 05-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #67
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Man those are some dope shirts must admit..
Old 05-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #68
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
2017 Western Conference Playoffs - 2nd Round Discussion Thread

Utah never disappoints with the playoff atmosphere. Love the Arena setup there with the shirts.

Also just realized, this is the first time these 2 have met in the playoffs since the "We Believe" Warriors - Deron Williams/Carlos Boozer days too.

Man that was a fun series. Matter of fact, the playoffs in general that year was just awesome. Great games and upsets as well.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #69
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Utah never disappoints with the playoff atmosphere. Love the Arena setup there with the shirts.

Also just realized, this is the first time these 2 have met in the playoffs since the "We Believe" Warriors - Deron Williams/Carlos Boozer days too.

Man that was a fun series. Matter of fact, the playoffs in general that year was just awesome. Great games and upsets as well.

It was cool until they let Derrick Fisher hit the Daniel Bryan knee strike on Brent Barry and didn't call foul...
Old 05-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #70
MVP

OVR: 0

Those shirts are hideous.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #71
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
Well... let's wait for game 2.

In Pop, I trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I'm a huge Pop fan, but what's up with switching on the perimeter after a 20 pt lead in the 1st quarter?!

I get the switching philosophy but if you are literally getting murdered from it, why not change? When they came out in the 2nd half and still continued to switch, I turned off the game.

You have arguably the best defender in the league (and Danny Green, top 10), and you neutralize him by putting him on role players oppose to one of the best scorers in the league..

And then what happens? James Harden penetrates past your flat footed *** bigs and then help is neccessary, and the ball swings to the open shooter. Its literally playing EXACTLY into Houston's hand.

Dumbest gameplan I've seen Pop implement AND stick with in a long time. He tried it last year and it didn't work. Good regular season gameplan, but horrific in the playoffs with his personnel.

Last edited by Nevertheles109; 05-02-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #72
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
I'm a huge Pop fan, but what's up with switching on the perimeter after a 20 pt lead in the 1st quarter?!

I get the switching philosophy but if you are literally getting murdered from it, why not change? When they came out in the 2nd half and still continued to switch, I turned off the game.

You have arguably the best defender in the league (and Danny Green, top 10), and you neutralize him by putting him on role players oppose to one of the best scorers in the league..

And then what happens? James Harden penetrates past your flat footed *** bigs and then help is neccessary, and the ball swings to the open shooter. Its literally playing EXACTLY into Houston's hand.

Dumbest gameplan I've seen Pop implement AND stick with in a long time. He tried it last year and it didn't work. Good regular season gameplan, but horrific in the playoffs with his personnel.
I think the reason you don't see Kawhi on Harden is because he's your team's best offensive player as well as defensive. And so the fear is that he gets into foul trouble and you have no one to run the offense. I'm betting the plan (and it's good coaching) was to have Kawhi lock him down in the 4th but the game was over by that point. It'll be interesting to see if they go with Kawhi on James earlier in game 2.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »