Home

11/7 - 11/13 Games Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 11/7 - 11/13 Games Discussion Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #65
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

Thank goodness ugly wins still count in the W column.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #66
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

Re: 11/7 - 11/13 Games Discussion Thread

you see how much Al Horford means to this team... nice to have a quality backup big though in Baynes.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:29 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherBum2310
you see how much Al Horford means to this team... nice to have a quality backup big though in Baynes.

Horford is an underrated player for sure. I didn’t appreciate how good he was until last year with Boston. Very solid player just doesn’t offer anything flashy to get the recognition he probably deserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #68
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Horford is an underrated player for sure. I didn’t appreciate how good he was until last year with Boston. Very solid player just doesn’t offer anything flashy to get the recognition he probably deserves.

Yup he does all the little things so well. and his weakness (rebounding) is up this year. Big fan of his game.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

I know Thomas was the guy who put up the big numbers and carried the scoring load late in games, but I think consistently that Horford was the best, or at least most important, player on the floor for them the majority of last season.

Kinda reminded me a little bit of how Kobe was the most prolific scorer in the league but so often you would be watching a game and it would be almost like the Lakers wouldn’t even be in the game without all the things Pau Gasol did.. obviously not to that degree of Horford and IT because Kobe was a much better player than Pau, but Pau still had those nights where you felt that way.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:21 AM   #70
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
All they are doing is treating offense the same as defense, which is something that has probably needed to happen for awhile. If you try to contest a shot and smack me in the face, even though a shot contest is a natural move, it’s going to be called. This is just the reverse of that. Steph is making a natural move swinging his arm back to shield off the defender, he connects with is face. I don’t have any issue with them equally the two out. People complain all the time that they keep taking more and more away from the defenders, now they have something to better balance that and even more people are complaining lol.

I really don’t have a big issue with it. You hit someone in the face on defense it’s a flagrant, you hit them in the face on offense call that a flagrant as well and move on. I think the more the year goes one we’ll see inadvertent plays not called nearly as much, but in Steph and Melo’s case if you’re going to deliberately make contact you are going to get whistled if it’s to the face even if it wasn’t intended for the face. Same as defensive calls.

I bet you'd have an issue with off arm fouls being called if they started calling LeBron for all of his...
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."
Old 11-09-2017, 02:01 AM   #71
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott812313
I bet you'd have an issue with off arm fouls being called if they started calling LeBron for all of his...

I don’t have an issue, if LeBron smacks a guy in the face by all means call it. The issue with the LeBron type of plays is that lowering a shoulder is rarely going to be called because the defender is running alongside the player and there isn’t arm extension or a “push off” motion. In most cases both players are initiating an equal amount of contact. Every player in the league initiates contact with their non-dribbling shoulder, it just looks a whole lot worse when it’s a guy like LeBron or Blake Griffin, or even Giannis this year because defenders tend to bounce off them. You can’t penalize them just because they are big, and let someone like Curry constantly push off with his off arm and slap the defenders hand away with that arm because he’s small.

That being said LeBron definitely gets called for his share of offensive fouls. Top 20 in the league last season. Giannis and Booker were the only “non big men” ahead of him. So for perimeter players he was 3rd in the league.

The year before that he was 12th in the league. He led the playoffs in offensive fouls last season, and the season before that. The year before that he was 3rd.

So it’s not like he’s not being called for them. He’s typical one of the most likely to get them called statistically speaking.

Last edited by ojandpizza; 11-09-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2017, 03:18 AM   #72
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
I don’t have an issue, if LeBron smacks a guy in the face by all means call it. The issue with the LeBron type of plays is that lowering a shoulder is rarely going to be called because the defender is running alongside the player and there isn’t arm extension or a “push off” motion. In most cases both players are initiating an equal amount of contact. Every player in the league initiates contact with their non-dribbling shoulder, it just looks a whole lot worse when it’s a guy like LeBron or Blake Griffin, or even Giannis this year because defenders tend to bounce off them. You can’t penalize them just because they are big, and let someone like Curry constantly push off with his off arm and slap the defenders hand away with that arm because he’s small.

That being said LeBron definitely gets called for his share of offensive fouls. Top 20 in the league last season. Giannis and Booker were the only “non big men” ahead of him. So for perimeter players he was 3rd in the league.

The year before that he was 12th in the league. He led the playoffs in offensive fouls last season, and the season before that. The year before that he was 3rd.

So it’s not like he’s not being called for them. He’s typical one of the most likely to get them called statistically speaking.

He does get called for some of them for sure, but he also shoulder charges or stiff arms defenders on at least half of his drives. If you go by % of times he does it compared to how often it's actually called, he wouldn't be anywhere near that high.

It's just really ironic that the biggest LeBron homer is an advocate for calling off arm offensive fouls.
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."

Last edited by Scott812313; 11-09-2017 at 03:22 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »