Home

10/30 - 11/5 Games Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 10/30 - 11/5 Games Discussion Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: 10/30 - 11/5 Games Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
I got a feeling the Rockets are going to struggle some anyway this yr even with Harden. They lost their defensive coach, who actually got even Harden putting forth a little more effort last yr. Plus they lost some guys, namely Ariza who would play D regardless if the Head Coach puts any value on Defense.

Then they go and add Melo, who probably puts even less effort on D than Harden does,lol.
Losing Ariza hurt but I agree what most don't talk about is them losing Jeff Bzdelick... that has hurt them more than anything, and it doesn't help that the league is punishing defense right now too.

Don't forget Melo doesn't look to pass either.

Quote:
Now I do think they will play better than they have been, and I could see Morey making some moves to bring a couple players in, who will play D no matter who the coach is.

I heard they offered T-Wolves 4 1st rd draft picks, for Jimmy Butler, who is not only a offensive player, but 1 of the best defensive players in the NBA, probably the 2nd best defended behind Kawhi.

So if they could get Butler, that would definitely help, but that could also cause some friction, because Butler, isnt afraid to call guys out, and if he thought Melo and Harden, were putting forth enough effort, he would rip into them. He probably also call out Dantoni, for not valuing it enough as well,lol.

But Im sure they will be better than they have been playing, especially when they get Harden back. But the Rockets losing their defensive coach, along with losing some defensive minded players, especially Ariza, they got worse not better, by losing them and adding Melo.
Jimmy Butler has the skills they want but the attitude and chemistry might be too volatile... him and Chris Paul would eventually go at it.

I think last year was their window, and they blew it.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:45 AM   #10
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Losing Ariza hurt but I agree what most don't talk about is them losing Jeff Bzdelick... that has hurt them more than anything, and it doesn't help that the league is punishing defense right now too.

Jimmy Butler has the skills they want but the attitude and chemistry might be too volatile... him and Chris Paul would eventually go at it.

Yep I agree with all you said. I said last yr, that Daryl Morey had kind of D'antoni proofed the team last yr, with bringing in guys who would play D, and having Jeff Bzdelic as the assistant coach and in charge of the D.

As soon as I heard Bzdelic was retiring, I thought Rockets are screwed, and they screwed themselves even more by adding Melo. They were already a high isolation usage team, but both Harden and CP3, look to pass the ball, Melo is a ball stopper, always has been, always will be. He is a cancer to any team. Probably the only player who could lessen the negative impact of having Melo on a team, would be Lebron.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 10-31-2018, 03:48 AM   #11
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

They tried to get Melo years ago so i understand them jumping at the chance, however, he's not the sole blame for whats happening... Dantoni has worked with him before just fine

I just think that they had a short window to win it all that they dont have anymore

You can't always plug chemistry holes with just anybody...theyll win because they have talent but you can see ingredients missing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2018, 05:28 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 0

I just saw that Tony Parker had 24pts and 11asts vs the Heat, i definitely didn't expect that.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:15 AM   #13
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

No contender in the West is better than last year's Houston, except GS.

Until further notice, GS is just going to roll to another title this year. No shame in it, that's what happens when you have 4 All-NBA like players on the same team, including 2 former MVPs.

BTW, the East is making a comeback. Boston, Toronto, Philly and Milwaukee are all very good and Indiana is right there as well. Still weak from there on down, but that's still so much better than they were even just a year ago.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #14
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
No contender in the West is better than last year's Houston, except GS.

Until further notice, GS is just going to roll to another title this year. No shame in it, that's what happens when you have 4 All-NBA like players on the same team, including 2 former MVPs.

BTW, the East is making a comeback. Boston, Toronto, Philly and Milwaukee are all very good and Indiana is right there as well. Still weak from there on down, but that's still so much better than they were even just a year ago.

Yeah, there isnt anyone who can beat the Warriors in a 7 game series, except the Warriors themselves. Or they lose Curry, Durant, or Draymond to a season ending injury. Without Draymond, there D isnt nearly as good, and obviously to lose Curry or Durant, would definitely give some team a chance to possibly beat them in a 7 game series.

I agree, the East, may not have as many big name stars as the West does, but the East is getting better. All those teams you mentioned are better than last yr.

I think if Boston gets rolling and Kyrie gets back to who he was before being injured last season, and Hayward is able to get back close to what he was before his injury, I think Boston, could put a scare in the Warriors anyway, like Houston did last season.

If Toronto plays this way, come playoffs, they will be a very dangerous team. The Bucks are much improved, and have looked really good.

Philly and the Pacers are up and down right now, some nights they look great other games not so much. But neither team will be a push over come playoff time, if they are healthy. Obviously health plays a key role for any team, you got to have some luck in that area to even get to the finals.

Actually, outside of the Warriors, there isnt any team in the WC that has a clear advantage over Boston, Toronto, and the Bucks, and while the Pacers and Sixers have been up and down, there really isnt any WC team, with a clear cut advantage of the Pacers of Sixers IMO either.

I dont think there is quite the gap, as there has been in the past. Yes, the West has more of the big name super stars, but team wise, I think those top 4 or 5 teams even in the EC can hang with anyone not named the Warriors.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 10-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #15
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

Bzedelik retiring was huge and I’m surprised it hasn’t been talked about often.

You lose one of the best defensive minds in the game right before the season on top of losing your two best defenders, that dropoff is going to be huge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2018, 09:14 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »