Home

NBA Tournament?

This is a discussion on NBA Tournament? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
NBA Tournament?

Funny how we were talking about similar thing in OT thread a week or so ago.

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/1777043

Quote:
Though he warned the ideas are still "in the conceptual phase," Silver told*Marc Stein of the New York Times*that the league is looking at two types of potential tournaments. One would culminate in a Final Four during All-Star weekend, while the other would take place at the end of the season, providing teams on the outside with a second chance at making the playoffs.

Still, the 57-year-old says he hopes to shake up the traditional blueprint as soon as the 2021-22 campaign - the NBA's 75th season.

"Another marker for me is that we're a few seasons away from our 75th anniversary. I think that milestone gives us a pillar around which to think about the history of the league and experiment - maybe just for the 75th anniversary - with some potential changes."
What would people think of this? NBA tournament? Would something like that work?

And Silver hinted at changes for 75th anniversary. What else could we possibly see?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Tournament?

I like Silver, think he is the best commissioner in all of sports. I would be totally against this gimmicky tournament.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

I like the end of season play in tournament. I think it would provide incentive for those teams on the bubble to play on for a chance at the playoff as opposed to tanking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

I'm absolutely a fan of having a mid season tournament. With all the breaks that they have inbetween games, you can certainly run another competition, Euro Soccer style.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

I've been saying this for years. Run a tournament at the end of the season with the teams that are going to be missing the playoffs. Team that wins the tournament gets the number 1 pick in the draft, runner up picks second and then just go by records after that. You eliminate tanking and have compelling basketball on display for cities that otherwise would have been checked out of the product because their teams are out of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I've been saying this for years. Run a tournament at the end of the season with the teams that are going to be missing the playoffs. Team that wins the tournament gets the number 1 pick in the draft, runner up picks second and then just go by records after that. You eliminate tanking and have compelling basketball on display for cities that otherwise would have been checked out of the product because their teams are out of it.
I do think that's a better option than the current Lotto where it's just the wild west of who is picking where.

The NBA lotto system, as currently constructed, is ****ing terrible.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

If they have a "loser tournament", maybe make it for a certain amount of teams. 4 worst in each conference? Because the 9-10 seeds aren't tanking. Would it be fair if a team who missed playoffs by 1 game got top pick?

Bottom 4 per conference would be fine. 1 game rounds perhaps? 1 east,1 west game for 2 days. Make it 2 days between end of season and start of rd1.

Then round 2 is "conference finals" with those 2 games scheduled in some no game day between rd1 and 2.

Finals either 1 or 3 game series, scheduled in whatever break might happen between rd 2 and 3.

Giving fans of bad teams something to cheer for would be great. And even 15 seed can win since they're playing teams who are maybe just a few games better than them. Smaller difference from 12-15 than we see in 1st or at times 2nd round in playoffs.

Winner gets top pick, but also, perhaps money on the line too?
Old 05-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

So my guys struggle for 82 games and then get clubbed over the head in a tournament and end up with the 14th pick... Very few things worse than the current lottery but that's on the short list.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »